PDA

View Full Version : My first IDN in Chinese 哏.com

Tapanti
21st November 2007, 11:07 PM
This is my first IDN in Chinese but after I purchased it I've received some mixed opinions about it... not if it is good or bad, but about the correct meaning.

Could anyone here please tell me what is the exact meaning of it?

The punycode is xn--xvr.com.

Thanks.

mgrohan
21st November 2007, 11:33 PM
Congratulations on your first Chines IDN. Unfortunately I would drop it, pretty much worthless.

哏 is not in the common Chinese language. It is more like a dialect from the NE of China. Also probably very old language, not used any longer.

It has a meaning of amusing/funny/comical, although most Chinese speakers will not know the meaning, while they may/may not recognize the character.
Even still as most Chinese words, it would probably need to be used together with other characters.

Tapanti
21st November 2007, 11:52 PM
Hi,

That was exactly what I thought it meant, but I didn't know that it was an old term not used any longer.

Well, that's the only way to learn. By making mistakes.

I don't think I can return it to my registrar, so I'll put it on a parking site and see if it at least generates what I paid for it.

Thank you for your help. :rolleyes:

thegenius1
21st November 2007, 11:56 PM
Hi,

That was exactly what I thought it meant, but I didn't know that it was an old term not used any longer.

Well, that's the only way to learn. By making mistakes.

I don't think I can return it to my registrar, so I'll put it on a parking site and see if it at least generates what I paid for it.

Thank you for your help. :rolleyes:

If you are just getting started you may want to use dynadot as you can return them there within 4 days.

bwhhisc
21st November 2007, 11:57 PM
I am not a Chinese speaker, but can give you some good resources for single characters.
Check BOTH wiktionary.org and Chinese dictionary MDBG.com to see if they appear and the definitions match.
Then check google and look for at least 10,000,000 serp.
If all 3 look of good, then register at Dynadot.com, put up for apprisal here at IDNF and if "not good" you
have up to four days to delete.

For your term, wiktionary has "no" definition shown, it does not even appear in MDBG dictionary and google
serp is like 24,000 so you can tell its not so good right off the bat. Good luck.

Tapanti
22nd November 2007, 12:21 AM
I will definitely follow the suggestions and will check any name here before keeping it.

Dyandot looks good. I get registrations at $6.99 with my current registrar, but being able to return the domains after a couple of days is a huge advantage and it's worth paying the $2 extra.

Thank you all for the good advice.

metronome
22nd November 2007, 04:01 AM
ya dynadot is good, love the grace period:D.