PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving!

Fka200
22nd November 2007, 10:24 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

burnsinternet
22nd November 2007, 10:38 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Day, all! Count your blessings, be thankful for what you have, and feast with loved ones!

http://www.pennmanor.net/schools/conestoga/images/turkey.gif

jacksonm
22nd November 2007, 10:43 AM
How many of the forum actually live in the USA?

hangman21
22nd November 2007, 10:47 AM
Same to all of you =)

burnsinternet
22nd November 2007, 10:47 AM

Not a majority. Some.

Today, soon, will be food and football! Go-o-o-o USC Trojans!

bwhhisc
22nd November 2007, 10:55 AM

Nice that members celebrate all holidays for all countries here. :)
Thanksgiving reminds me of how "young" the United States is compared to Europe, Asia etc.

Here is a bit about the Thanksgiving holiday for those interested...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

jacksonm
22nd November 2007, 10:57 AM
Members seem to celebrate all holidays for all countries here. :)

Nice :-) Finnish Independence Day is on December 6th!

burnsinternet
22nd November 2007, 11:25 AM

PARTY TIME!

We need a bigger list of reasons to celebrate. I like it!

bwhhisc
22nd November 2007, 11:49 AM

Bring on the blood sausage and mammi. lol

jacksonm
22nd November 2007, 11:56 AM
Bring on the blood sausage and mammi. lol

Mämmi is generally only eaten at Easter.

Mustamakkara (blood sausage) - literally "black sausage" is generally only eaten in one area of Finland - Tampere and the surrounding region. It is actually quite good with some lingonberry jam.

Finns mostly adhere to a liquid diet on Independence Day!

Fka200
22nd November 2007, 11:59 AM
I think Thanksgiving is a holiday everyone should celebrate. I can't wait for mashed potatoes tonight!

http://www.fka200.com/2007/11/21/gobble-gobble-happy-thanksgiving/

DomainDialect
22nd November 2007, 12:10 PM
I think Thanksgiving is a holiday everyone should celebrate. I can't wait for mashed potatoes tonight!

20 lbs. sitting in the fridge, ready to be boiled and mashed!:) (Not all for me, though I only get 5);). Happy Thanksgiving, all!

mulligan
22nd November 2007, 01:07 PM
I think Thanksgiving is a holiday everyone should celebrate.

Everyone? Why?

burnsinternet
22nd November 2007, 01:57 PM
Maybe to remind each of us to be thankful for what we have....

We IDNers are not living on the streets. We probably know when we will have a meal. Many of us are not carrying a rifle and a pack everywhere. Most of us don't fear snipers daily.

We are blessed.

Also, Thanksgiving is about food, family, and fun. Togetherness. Coming together.

mulligan
22nd November 2007, 02:16 PM
Maybe to remind each of us to be thankful for what we have....

We IDNers are not living on the streets. We probably know when we will have a meal. Many of us are not carrying a rifle and a pack everywhere. Most of us don't fear snipers daily.

We are blessed.

Also, Thanksgiving is about food, family, and fun. Togetherness. Coming together.

Indeed .. but it's to give thanks to a Christian God .. people of other religions would be unlikely to give thanks to this God hence my wondering as to why everyone should celebrate it.

As for being worried about snipers .. well if you put the uniform on and carry a gun in someone elses country ...

Many people of the world would be glad to pick the scraps from America's dustbins this evening when everyone has finished gorging themselves .. maybe spare a thought for them?

bwhhisc
22nd November 2007, 02:50 PM
Indeed .. but it's to give thanks to a Christian God .. people of other religions would be unlikely to give thanks to this God hence my wondering as to why everyone should celebrate it.

Thanksgiving is NOT a "religious" holiday by any stretch. More just a time to enjoy parades and football,
kick off the Christmas season, and be with family and the tradition is to simply give thanks for the years harvest.

touchring
22nd November 2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.seekingsources.com/Images/turkey_thanksgiving.jpg

khurtsiya
22nd November 2007, 03:43 PM
Congrats everyone!

And happy idning :D

thefabfive
22nd November 2007, 04:05 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. A time for reflection on those people and things we are thankful for - parents, siblings, spouses, Wikipedia, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Jim Breen, etc.

Have a good one.

Fka200
22nd November 2007, 07:22 PM
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Jim Breen, etc.

loool :)!

Everyone? Why?

I think everyone should celebrate it since it really does in fact make you stop and think about things to be thankful for. It's nice to know this country takes a day off altogether for a decent reason.

And Thanksgiving has no religious connections. Just a holiday where mashed potatoes is eaten and you be thanful for that! Just 7 more hours....

22nd November 2007, 11:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Wishing you the best year ever. :)

And here's my poem for thanksgiving:

Twas the night before Thanksgiving and in my sleep.
Strange dreams in my mind, began to creep

Thanksgiving leftovers beckoned --- The dark meat and white,
But I fought the temptation with all of my might.

Tossing and turning with anticipation......
The thought of a snack became infatuation.....

So to the kitchen I did race, Flung open the door,
And gazed at the fridge full of goodies galore
I gobbled up idn and buttered potatoes,
Pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.

I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,
Till all of a sudden, I rose off the ground!

I crashed through the ceiling. Floating into the sky....
With a mouthful l of pudding and a handful of pie,
But I managed to yell as I soared past the trees.

HAPPY EATING TO ALL!
PASS THE CRANBERRIES PLEASE!

- author not known

phio
23rd November 2007, 12:58 AM
Happy Thanksgiving from Malibu. Great dinner with friends and family. And a 4 day weekend. Yeah!

mulligan
23rd November 2007, 08:33 AM
Thanksgiving is NOT a "religious" holiday by any stretch.

I think everyone should celebrate it since it really does in fact make you stop and think about things to be thankful for. It's nice to know this country takes a day off altogether for a decent reason.

And Thanksgiving has no religious connections. Just a holiday where mashed potatoes is eaten and you be thanful for that! Just 7 more hours....

Thanksgiving is supposed to be to give thanks and praise to a Christian God.

1619 Thanksgiving, Berkeley Hundred in Virginia

On December 4, 1619, a group of 38 English settlers arrived at Berkeley Hundred, comprised of about eight thousand acres (32 km²) on the north bank of the James River near Herring Creek in an area then known as Charles Cittie (sic) about 20 miles upstream from Jamestown, where the first permanent settlement of the Colony of Virginia was established on May 14, 1607.

The group's charter required that the day of arrival be observed yearly as a "day of thanksgiving" to God. On that first day, Captain John Woodleaf held the service of thanksgiving. Here is the section of the Charter of Berkeley Hundred which specifies the thanksgiving service:

"Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrival at the place assigned for plantacon in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually keept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty God."

... National Thanksgiving Proclamations proclaim thanks for God’s providence in the events of the nation and, as President Washington explained in his Thanksgiving Proclamation, "for the many signal favors of Almighty God" in the lives of the people....

etc etc etc

So, again .. why would those who are not of the Christian faith ... or from America celebrate it?

Why should 'everyone' celebrate it?

jacksonm
23rd November 2007, 08:57 AM
Thanksgiving is supposed to be to give thanks and praise to a Christian God.

So, again .. why would those who are not of the Christian faith ... or from America celebrate it?

Why should 'everyone' celebrate it?

I agree. It is an American religious holiday, regardless of whether religious and non-religious people alike are ignorant of that fact and both choose to celebrate it because 1) there is nothing else to do during that long weekend and 2) the mass media/advertising drives this into your head (buy our turkeys).

burnsinternet
23rd November 2007, 09:05 AM
Edited after thoughtful reflection. Sorry, Mulligan. I knee-jerked. This post was really depressing:

Be thankful for what you have. Thank your God(s), thank your lucky stars, thank your mother, or whatever. Don't think you got there by yourself. Don't think it cannot all vanish in an instant. Keep your perspective. Keep your friends and family close. Laugh. Live. Love.

mulligan
23rd November 2007, 09:21 AM
Edited

jacksonm
23rd November 2007, 09:40 AM
Indeed you will not have a very happy holiday if you wind up in a car crash while traveling a long distance to visit whomever.

During the evening before any major holiday, the roads are packed with many times the normal traffic. The percentage, not just the number, of drunk drivers also increases. Everybody on the road thinks that their mission is more important than anyone else's. Combine those factors and you get a record number of car accidents and deaths..

I make it a point to either travel two days before or not at all. Same goes with the return trip. Stay away from the crowd.

Fka200
23rd November 2007, 11:37 AM
I agree. It is an American religious holiday, regardless of whether religious and non-religious people alike are ignorant of that fact and both choose to celebrate it because 1) there is nothing else to do during that long weekend and 2) the mass media/advertising drives this into your head (buy our turkeys).

I actually celebrate it because it's one of the few times family members get together and do something. Sadly, my immediate family decided not to join other family this year. It's holidays like this that somewhat give me hope at getting everyone together since there will be a point in the future where it's just not possible and these days will just be memories... "the good 'ol days."

I also really like positive holidays. Regardless if this is considered a religious holiday or not (I think it has evolved since the first Thanksgiving and has just become a universal holiday), it's nice to know that there are others getting together with family members/loved ones/etc. as well. Somehow makes the world seem like a SOMEWHAT better place--even for a day. Today after family dinner I went to the local restaurant we normally hang out with and it was nice saying "Happy Thanksgiving Day" to at least 50 friends.

Ah, I've reached random mumblings. Anyways, back to IDNs. Should I start a thread with "Happy Black Friday?" Nahhhhhhh.

bwhhisc
23rd November 2007, 12:34 PM
Moving on...Happy Holidays to all!