Rubber Duck
23rd November 2007, 07:02 PM
http://blog.icann.org/?p=235

jacksonm
23rd November 2007, 07:12 PM
BS from whom exactly?

Rubber Duck
23rd November 2007, 07:15 PM
One of the most enduring arguments why everyone should speak English is that we are just using the American Internet. They invested all the money and they own all the servers. Obviously, this has not been the case for quite a while, but this perception still seems to be widely held within the domaining community.

jacksonm
23rd November 2007, 07:32 PM
One of the most enduring arguments why everyone should speak English is that we are just using the American Internet. They invested all the money and they own all the servers. Obviously, this has not been the case for quite a while, but this perception still seems to be widely held within the domaining community.

Hehe!

What is true is that ICANN controls the master root server which propogates out to the multiplexed 13 addresses. That propogation requires top-down delegation agreements, which can physically be severed by the administrator of the master root copy.

What else is true is that the Internet is not a network. It is a collection of networks. Every one of those networks participate via contracts with other networks. The Internet is thus nothing more than a collection of contractual agreements between IP networks. This has zero to do with DNS, though.

bwhhisc
23rd November 2007, 08:12 PM
THIS CAUGHT MY EYE;
QUOTE:
"You’re perhaps not entirely correct when you say: “To my knowledge, VeriSign does not make changes unless directed to do so.” It depends on the context.

Verisign does make significant changes under its own direction, such as when it chose to add (and under widespread pressure and purported orders from ICANN, remove) a wildcard entry for .com.

How much ability it still has to do so is not clear. But technically, these were changes to .com, not to the root zone, and the context of your comment WAS discussion of the root zone, so you are correct." END QUOTE

jacksonm
23rd November 2007, 08:43 PM
Technically, what Verisign did with adding a wildcard entry was contained entirely within their own servers. While one can question the morality of this action, I think the legality should be without a doubt in Verisign's favor. However, it was an incredibly bad PR move and they suffered a lot of backlash from the community at large.

I run my own DNS for every one of my domains, even the parked ones. And I do have a wildcard on everyone of those domains - parked and developed.