PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Domain Names Pilot Project- updated

bwhhisc
24th November 2007, 01:35 PM
Looks like this has been updated recently to include information about the ICANN tests, idn.idn, idn.com.
It is written by Dr. Abdulaziz H. Al-Zoman, Director of SaudiNIC, Chairman of Steering Committee -
Arabic Domain Names Pilot Project

http://www.icann.org/announcements/adnpp-v02-12dec05.pdf

QUOTE FROM LAST PAGE....
Please… all of us …Let us help others to be part of the Internet by speeding up the implementation of full IDN.

Well said! Perhaps one of our Arabic members can invite Dr. Abdulaziz H. Al-Zoman to visit our forum to
provide an updates on Arabic idns.

Fka200
24th November 2007, 06:07 PM
They only care about ccTLDS.

bwhhisc
24th November 2007, 06:36 PM
They only care about ccTLDS.
Yeah, but once they start searching in native langages internet users will soon figure out IDNs come in all
flavors... .com, .net, .tv and so on just as well. And perhaps the .com will in many cases come with more
relevant links and pages.

Fka200
24th November 2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah, but once they start searching in native langages internet users will soon figure out IDNs come in all
flavors... .com, .net, .tv and so on just as well. And perhaps the .com will in many cases come with more
relevant links and pages.

That's the only possible good to come out of this. Other than that, it's just BS. For anyone that thinks I'm talking for no reason, I've personally talked to these people.

burnsinternet
24th November 2007, 06:46 PM
:confused:

Rubber Duck
24th November 2007, 07:25 PM
What do Arabs use with ASCII? That will give you a very firm clue as to what they will do with IDN. If you think Verisign is just going to kiss the Arabic Market good-bye then I would seriously think again.

jacksonm
24th November 2007, 07:32 PM
What do Arabs use with ASCII. That will give you a very firm clue as to what they will do with IDN. If you think Verisign is just going to kiss the Arabic Market good-bye then I would seriously think again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When I think about following the money, I'm talking about a market where some of the people have more sitting in their personal bank account than the annual GDP of most countries :)

Rubber Duck
24th November 2007, 07:36 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When I think about following the money, I'm talking about a market where some of the people have more sitting in their personal bank account than the annual GDP of most countries :)

Your talking about the petty cash. Their real reserves are buried deep underground!

bwhhisc
24th November 2007, 07:44 PM
For anyone that thinks I'm talking for no reason, I've personally talked to these people.
OK Sammy...give us the lowdown.
And who are "these" people?

Fka200
24th November 2007, 08:10 PM
OK Sammy...give us the lowdown.
And who are "these" people?

The people running the registries and what not. Remember a while ago I said ccTLD was going to be a joke? :).

bwhhisc
24th November 2007, 08:13 PM
The people running the registries and what not. Remember a while ago I said ccTLD was going to be a joke? :).

So....are you still bullish on .com?

Also, I came across this Arabic SEO article with a few mentions about IDNs.

http://ekstreme.com/thingsofsorts/web-programming/arabic-seo

jacksonm
24th November 2007, 08:24 PM
So....are you still bullish on .com?

Also, I came across this Arabic SEO article with a few mentions about IDNs.

http://ekstreme.com/thingsofsorts/web-programming/arabic-seo

We are aware of Firefox's attitude problem, but interesting that he mentions IE7 displaying punycode.

Fka200
24th November 2007, 08:26 PM
IE7 will only display unicode if you set the language in the internet options > language setting.

I've been to that site before.

Rubber Duck
24th November 2007, 08:36 PM
We are aware of Firefox's attitude problem, but interesting that he mentions IE7 displaying punycode.

Has anyone had a look at FF3?

Mind you I think Opera are about to steal a march on every one with Mini 4.

Fka200
24th November 2007, 09:01 PM
Has anyone had a look at FF3?

I'm in no way responsible for the download/errors!

http://www.fka200.com/downloads/FF3BETA1.exe

I'm using it. Nothing really different except the favorite icon i think... lol.

IDN still in punycode for com/net.