PDA

View Full Version : End ie6 now!

jose
25th November 2007, 12:44 AM
I know it must be a Flock linkbait promotion, however don't you think it's a campaing we should join and support:

http://www.end6.org

alibuba
25th November 2007, 01:53 AM
im all for it but it needs to be translated to the native language of our idn sites.
i guess that shouldn't be so hard to do. looks promising though.

hudin
28th November 2007, 03:12 AM
No, it isn't linkbait. It's a campaign that I started up because IE6 has been driving me nuts. To be honest, I was even debating about putting Flock in there, but decided to in the end, since it is another free browser and works well, although I use Firefox personally. It would be great if you guys used it for the site as I'm trying to get the word out. We've got the script in four languages now as well.

Hudin

jose
28th November 2007, 03:24 AM
No, it isn't linkbait. It's a campaign that I started up because IE6 has been driving me nuts. To be honest, I was even debating about putting Flock in there, but decided to in the end, since it is another free browser and works well, although I use Firefox personally. It would be great if you guys used it for the site as I'm trying to get the word out. We've got the script in four languages now as well.

Hudin

LOL. Welcome to the forum. So, log hiting still works...

"used it for the site" ?!

blastfromthepast
28th November 2007, 03:35 AM
Firefox displays punycode only for .com domains. Do not promote FireFox.

jose
28th November 2007, 03:38 AM
Firefox displays punycode only for .com domains. Do not promote FireFox.

... and it is the buggiest and more exploitable browser on hearth. If you want our support try Opera!

Asiaplay
28th November 2007, 03:55 AM

Hudin

Well done (agree with your comments... IDN 6 should be replaced now) - will consider adding to some of my IDN sites when they are up... cheers, Asiaplay

Drewbert
28th November 2007, 07:15 AM
Interesting concept.

I think you should replace the flock button with a Safari button, since that's available for Windows now, and in multiple languages.

mgrohan
28th November 2007, 08:03 AM
Any thing that brings an end to ie6 is a great idea, from both a web-designer and IDNers POV, although i think the way you script comes off looking a bit too much spyware/popup-ad like. bit obtrusive.

Just tried Firefox 3.1 beta. Still not showing IDNs for .com and .net. :(

hudin
28th November 2007, 05:18 PM
Safari is still in beta and honestly, there are a number of display issues with it that really annoy me. To Flock or not to Flock will remain to be seen though...

And yes, it does look like a popup, that's the point, since it's meant to get in peoples' faces. Every "subtle" attempt to get people off IE6 has, for all purposes failed, since something like half the people on the net are still using the broken browser.

Hudin