PDA

View Full Version : IDN Market Trends

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 09:47 AM
I guess I must have missed this. Anyone seen it?

http://www.aptld.org/dubaiJune2007/09%20VeriSign%20-%20IDN%20Market%20Trends%20for%20Dubai%20APTLD%20Meeting.pdf

Wot
25th November 2007, 10:22 AM
"IE 7 has been the most significant driving force for COM/NET IDN growth" :)

jacksonm
25th November 2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks, that was very interesting.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks, that was very interesting.

I think the real lesson is that at best, you are going to be working on data that is 6 months out of date!

This clearly shows that there is huge demand for Chinese dot com from within China itself which is actually higher than the demand for IDN.cn. The IDN.ccTLD phenomenon as I would have expected is largely a European phenomenon.

It also shows that Japan has yet to establish itself as a serious IDN market. The real action to date has been predominantly in China and Korea.

I suspect that the market that changed the most in a qualitative way since these measurements were made is likely to have been Russian. It is clear, however, that there is an explosion of IDN web content already well under way in both China and Korea.

jacksonm
25th November 2007, 11:03 AM
This clearly shows that there is huge demand for Chinese dot com from within China itself which is actually higher than the demand for IDN.cn.

Yes, when is the last time you seen a Chinese flipper selling a dot com? They push dot nets like there's no tomorrow...

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 11:13 AM
Yes, the increase of IDN.com from within China during this 2 year period was 199,926 as against 110,597 IDN.ccTLDs for the whole of Asia including Western Speculators.

Of course this may have changed but this info is contemporaneous with all the Bullshit Research undertaken by Chinastar.

bwhhisc
25th November 2007, 11:14 AM
Good information. I haven't seen that link here before, guess everyone missed it.
Not surprising to see Korea at the top, virtually every .com, .net is taken for any good terms.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 11:18 AM
Good information. I haven't seen that link here before, guess everyone missed it.
Not surprising to see Korea at the top, virtually every .com, .net is taken for any good terms.

We didn't miss it. Verisign buried it!

It is not published on their website but at www.aptld.org who only seem to update about every 6 months.

"IE 7 has been the most significant driving force for COM/NET IDN growth" :)

If you plot the graph one might argue that resumed growth trends starts as a consequence of the formation of IDNFs. Whether that is strictly cause and effect though will no doubt be the basis of another debate!

bwhhisc
25th November 2007, 02:19 PM
Did you put a link over at Franks or Owens place?
They seem to be big on statistics...

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 02:21 PM
Did you put a link over at Franks or Owens place?
They seem to be big on statistics...

No, I haven't done anything with them, but your welcome to try these guys out with some numbers. Perhaps that is what they need!

jacksonm
25th November 2007, 02:23 PM
No, I haven't done anything with them, but your welcome to try these guys out with some numbers. Perhaps that is what they need!

In the final analysis, the trend is your friend :)

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 02:24 PM
In the final analysis, the trend is your friend :)

Is there clever way of extracting any of the graphs from the PDF file?

jacksonm
25th November 2007, 02:26 PM
Is there clever way of extracting any of the graphs from the PDF file?

No, in fact there is practically no way at all other than taking a screenshot and cropping it.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 02:27 PM
No, in fact there is practically no way at all.

Well that has reassured me that I am not such an IT Duffer as I was beginning to believe!

jacksonm
25th November 2007, 02:30 PM
Take a screenshot and crop it.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 02:32 PM
Take a screenshot and crop it.

Now you are down at my level. :p

bwhhisc
25th November 2007, 02:45 PM

I put it up at Franks blog..."awaiting moderation" so maybe will come up later today.
Not sure he will put it front and center... but we will see.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 02:47 PM
I put it up at Franks blog..."awaiting moderation" so maybe will come up later today.

Thanks. We will see!

jacksonm
25th November 2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks. We will see!

Let's eagerly await Dan Guyes' opinion!

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 02:53 PM
Let's eagerly await Dan Guyes' opinion!

Yes, but guys like that don't like facts, it screws with their high fluting theories. :p

thefabfive
25th November 2007, 03:10 PM
It looks like "Other gTLDs" actually shrunk.

The market has spoken, LOL.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 03:13 PM
It looks like "Other gTLDs" actually shrunk.

The market has spoken, LOL.

There are actually a couple of IDN.nu on Sedo that seem to be attracting genuine bids!

thefabfive
25th November 2007, 03:21 PM
Yes, and those would fall under the ccTLD category.

The market is still out on IDN.ccTLD with non-native scripts. Although I would venture to say it will go the way of "Other gTLDs".

L@@K
25th November 2007, 03:41 PM
Very very interesting
Good job soldier

touchring
25th November 2007, 04:29 PM
Nice, 800k, i think the lot of us here own at least 50k of it?

mdw
25th November 2007, 04:45 PM
Great info! I was surprised how strong Korean appears to be. One thing to keep in mind though is that since Verisign provides the info here, COM/NET may be on track but it's hard for them to verify ccTLD data. Also nice to see IDN-aware browsers at ~35%

markits
25th November 2007, 04:55 PM
Japan has a lot to catch up. If only Japan is at Korea's level!

bwhhisc
25th November 2007, 05:25 PM
Japan has a lot to catch up. If only Japan is at Korea's level!

Really strange that they haven't jumped on this sooner since Japan is so strong in technology etc. Korea doesn't
surprise me, I did some pretty good size searches of primary terms and for the most part they were gone in .com
and .net. Got lucky in a few niche areas with some compound words but overall not much primo stuff available.

touchring
25th November 2007, 06:19 PM
REally nothing much to do with tech than the domaining culture and social norms. As Ryu once said, domaining is not something proud to let your friends know you are doing.

That Koreans are into idns in a big way is no surprise considering the extent of their involvement in asciis.

Platinum looks like silver, but costs 100 times the price, only because it is rare and people hoard it. Speculation makes a difference.

http://ivy3643.googlepages.com/tsbigdh.gif

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 06:25 PM
Great info! I was surprised how strong Korean appears to be. One thing to keep in mind though is that since Verisign provides the info here, COM/NET may be on track but it's hard for them to verify ccTLD data. Also nice to see IDN-aware browsers at ~35%

I think the browser data was distinctly dodgy. I guess the rest is fairly accurate.

bwhhisc
25th November 2007, 06:37 PM
As Ryu once said, domaining is not something proud to let your friends know you are doing.
That seems strange especially since there are millions of pages of Japanese content and websites.
Statistics show a higher percentage of homes in Japan hooked up to the web than most countries in the world.
Stuff like youtube.com and social networks should help by giving people places to surf and build interest.

touchring
25th November 2007, 06:45 PM
That seems strange especially since there are millions of pages of Japanese content and websites.
Statistics show a higher percentage of homes in Japan hooked up to the web than most countries in the world.
Stuff like youtube.com and social networks should help by giving people places to surf and build interest.

The only explanation i can thikn of being that idns are mostly a speculator game as of now.

Platinum looks like silver, but costs 100 times the price, only because it is rare and people hoard it. The japanese love white gold. Speculation makes a difference.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 07:30 PM

What the hell did you do?

Sevenmile has died on us! :eek:

bwhhisc
25th November 2007, 07:37 PM
I guess Frank covertly started a new site and did not notify the Moonies, or has got our IP addy's blocked :p
Well if its the first, maybe Jose can run write a script to locate him..., eightmile.com, ninemile.com, tenmile.com...

touchring
25th November 2007, 08:18 PM

publicity is good, but sevenmile doesn't really believe in IDNs. i don't blame him, unless you travel out of the West often, you don't really know.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 08:21 PM
publicity is good, but sevenmile doesn't really believe in IDNs. i don't blame him, unless you travel out of the West often, you don't really know.

Frank's business model has never relied on big acts of faith. He needs to see the payback. I can understand him being a little confused about how that works at the moment.

bwhhisc
25th November 2007, 08:22 PM
That's OK, but it is still good publicity to get published and eventually people take notice. Once IDNs get traffic and
revenue multiples going there will be plenty of buyers. Until then, too many just happy to sit on the sidelines and
jump in when traffic and revenue are a sure thing.

Rubber Duck
25th November 2007, 08:30 PM
That's OK, but it is still good publicity to get published and eventually people take notice. Once IDNs get traffic and
revenue multiples going there will be plenty of buyers. Until then, too many just happy to sit on the sidelines and
jump in when traffic and revenue are a sure thing.

Yes, but as reluctant as we are to sell cheap now, it is only going to get worse when those geese start laying those yellow eggs! :p