PDA

View Full Version : Newcomers?

jacksonm
26th November 2007, 03:34 PM
Ok, I am definitely starting to see some newcomers in the whois. British addresses with English names, digging way down deep into niche areas in the past 2 days.

Or is there somebody here from Uxbridge, Middlesex? Maybe a lurker in the midst!

mulligan
26th November 2007, 03:46 PM
A fair number of new faces the last few months

rhys
26th November 2007, 04:10 PM
Late to the party but not too late.

markits
26th November 2007, 04:31 PM
There are quite a few overseas Chinese joined the gang recently, few visible ones being mgrohan, dotworx, hangman21 etc here.

Fka200
26th November 2007, 04:33 PM
A lot of silent guests, though. Was thinking about that about 10 seconds before this thread was put up.

markits
26th November 2007, 04:35 PM
rhys
You guys need to drag few Japanese to here...

jacksonm
26th November 2007, 04:42 PM
A lot of silent guests, though. Was thinking about that about 10 seconds before this thread was put up.

I'd be quite happy if this place was members only and didn't allow google indexing at all. It is already famous enough that it doesn't need SEO and good search ranking to gain new members.

seamo
26th November 2007, 08:54 PM
I was having a look through my .jp drops from the past year last night and got quite a surprise - many of them have been picked up again. Not all - but most of them.

A couple by some of the guys here, but a fair proportion have gone to what appears to be native Japanese as well.

Oh well - just goes to show that I must be less of a domainer than I thought!

I believed I was chucking out the junk!

tee1
26th November 2007, 09:14 PM
I was having a look through my .jp drops from the past year last night and got quite a surprise - many of them have been picked up again. Not all - but most of them.

A couple by some of the guys here, but a fair proportion have gone to what appears to be native Japanese as well.

Oh well - just goes to show that I must be less of a domainer than I thought!

I believed I was chucking out the junk!

One mans junk is another mans treasure. I had this happen to me as well. Kinda makes you second guess your logic doesn't it. without a good liquid secondary makes some of those decisions difficult
damn the torpedoes full speed ahead. :p

tee1

JamesZ
26th November 2007, 09:43 PM
I am one of the new Chinese started this summer. I think I came really late compared to some of the guys here.:) But thanks for all your posts, from which I learned a lot.

burnsinternet
26th November 2007, 09:48 PM
...damn the torpedoes full speed ahead. :p

My thoughts exactly.... No stopping now.

Steve Clarke
27th November 2007, 01:03 AM
When I logged on a couple of mornings ago...there were just shy of 100 online.

Only 15 were members.

burnsinternet
27th November 2007, 01:45 AM
That is very common.

I, however, lurked for quite a while until I joined. Back in Dec 2005 and Jan 2006, the site seemed quite strange to me. It was a lot of "I just bought (insert Japanese IDN here) dot com!" and the replies were generally, "Oohh! Good one!" There were some top dogs, sharks, and omega dogs. It took me a while to catch on to the politics and how to register decent IDNs. I am still trying to learn how to reg decent IDNs. Bill was a great help all along the way. I am glad I stuck it out. My first posts were so Newbie! It is embarrassing now. However, I did have a few good IDNs, so I survived.

IDNCowboy
27th November 2007, 01:51 AM
That is very common.

I, however, lurked for quite a while until I joined. Back in Dec 2005 and Jan 2006, the site seemed quite strange to me. It was a lot of "I just bought (insert Japanese IDN here) dot com!" and the replies were generally, "Oohh! Good one!" There were some top dogs, sharks, and omega dogs. It took me a while to catch on to the politics and how to register decent IDNs. I am still trying to learn how to reg decent IDNs. Bill was a great help all along the way. I am glad I stuck it out. My first posts were so Newbie! It is embarrassing now. However, I did have a few good IDNs, so I survived.
You weren't a newbie back in december ;-)

burnsinternet
27th November 2007, 02:09 AM
I felt like one. I felt like I was so far behind. It seemed that Japanese was the only thing anyone was regging and that everyone knew Japanese well. I couldn't find anything I wanted in Spanish or French dot com, Japanese was difficult. It took a while to get into the groove.

For so long, it was difficult to find half-way decent keywords in English. I was trying to find snappy brandable dot coms like the rest of the world and developing & advertising them to make things work. Any of those names parked were a disaster.

Then I find a place where you just have to pick a language and a niche and go to town? I remember passing up domain names and thinking, "There is no way this is REALLY what I think it is. It can't be THAT good!" I still kick myself for passing up some domains that I will not list here. Once I realized that, those good names really were unregistered, I felt OK to register them. It was a different world! Very strange. Hard to register ASCII now.

Wot
27th November 2007, 02:28 AM
Still mainly ascii , it's where my domaining income comes from. Try to keep it seperate from my meagre retirement income.

I am still an IDN newbie, little old to learn new tricks, but I do have some gems amongst my IDN dross and ppc income is creeping up, slowly- but it is mainly from Chinese IDN that are Baidu/Google indexed.

IDN's are a fascinating area of domaining that keeps my depleting brain cells on "active" most of the time.

There is only one way for IDN and that is a skyrocket to prominence in the not too distant future - those of you that were the forerunners have my admiration for your smarts.

Of course you will see more and more newbs on the forum it is still a virgin area for the vast majority of domainers but the door is ajar and about to be opened fully.