PDA

View Full Version : Baidu Index Facelift

mgrohan
29th November 2007, 12:07 AM
Baidu index has had a face-lift. (http://index.baidu.com) Now shows recommended sites (top searches) for different categories at the bottom.

Checking a big number of these looks like Chinese has been mined pretty dry.
Most names are taken in .com, .net, .biz and .cn. Even alot of the 'not so great' names.

Surprised to see a lot of .cc for pretty average names, regged by Chinese.

hangman21
29th November 2007, 12:12 AM
nice =)

dotworx
29th November 2007, 02:46 AM
Yes, I noticed the change last night and I also scanned a good portion of the list, nothing valuable left...

Hey I noticed you are in Victoria, I lived in Melbourne for a couple of years, but moved to Sydney later. I haven't seen many people here from Australia, we should catch up next time we are in the same city!

Baidu index has had a face-lift. (http://index.baidu.com) Now shows recommended sites (top searches) for different categories at the bottom.

Checking a big number of these looks like Chinese has been mined pretty dry.
Most names are taken in .com, .net, .biz and .cn. Even alot of the 'not so great' names.

Surprised to see a lot of .cc for pretty average names, regged by Chinese.

chineseidn
29th November 2007, 02:56 AM
Noticed the change as well, wonder what that says about us that we're able to spot changes like that so fast:)

99% of com's are taken from the lists I went through

Most .cn's taken as well

Among the .net's there is/was still some harvesting to do.

dotworx
29th November 2007, 03:23 AM
With .com and .cn, I can hope there's going to be type-in traffic, what's it with .net??

Personally I bought some .net because I feel I can sell them to end users one day. What's your plans on .nets?

Noticed the change as well, wonder what that says about us that we're able to spot changes like that so fast:)

99% of com's are taken from the lists I went through

Most .cn's taken as well

Among the .net's there is/was still some harvesting to do.

chineseidn
29th November 2007, 03:50 AM
I will sell some, I have actually already started, see the real estate auction:)

The one's with a Baidu Index of over 900, like 打折飞机票 .net I'll keep for a while and hopefully sell later

I always tell myself to focus on .com's and the occasional .cn but I keep on regging .net's. It's an addiction I guess:)

dotworx
29th November 2007, 04:12 AM
One thing good about .net is that it's actually well accepted by small to medium sizied businesses in China. If they can't the .com of their preferred name, they'd rather get the .net instead of a long-tailed of .com.

Check out 打折机票.com & 打折机票.net, two travel agencies, used them as pointer domains, both seem to be happy enough~)

touchring
29th November 2007, 04:58 AM
I will sell some, I have actually already started, see the real estate auction:)

The one's with a Baidu Index of over 900, like 打折飞机票 .net I'll keep for a while and hopefully sell later

I always tell myself to focus on .com's and the occasional .cn but I keep on regging .net's. It's an addiction I guess:)

Gracious of mgrohan to share the link. I'm a chinese .net fan - had a good time buying .nets over the last one year or so!

财务.net
租赁.net
汽车保险.net
德文.net
法文.net
占卜.net
加盟.net
写字楼.net
招商.net
中秋节.net
楼盘.net

I bought many of these names for low-$xx to mid-$xx! Quite incredible, nobody wanted chinese .nets last year. Many languishing on forums unclaimed for days with the seller keep lowering the price, until i post SOLD.

Lesson, you don't always have to be fast or first to register to make money in domains, knowing what to buy is just as important.

Rubber Duck
29th November 2007, 05:17 AM
One thing good about .net is that it's actually well accepted by small to medium sizied businesses in China. If they can't the .com of their preferred name, they'd rather get the .net instead of a long-tailed of .com.

Check out 打折机票.com & 打折机票.net, two travel agencies, used them as pointer domains, both seem to be happy enough~)

Because the Chinese recognise the dominance of the dot Com without being insanely obsessed by it. This means that chasing the long tail to its ultimate extremity might, as with much of what is being registered by domainers in the US, turn out to be a wild goose chase.

Many of the big names in domaining seem to be chasing the long-tail, but their ambitions seem to be limited to finding a mug to flip to.

dotworx
29th November 2007, 08:34 AM
Yes, not "insanely obsessed by it" ~)

I've been trying out quite a few English three-word names recently, pretty disappointed with the parking results.

For me, two-words performs the best both in terms of attracting type-ins as well as CTR (well above 100% for some of my names).

In terms of Chinese IDN, I feel that 4 to 6 characters are reasonable length, it's short enough to type as domian names, and long enough to describe a specific objects.

touchring
29th November 2007, 08:51 AM
For me, two-words performs the best both in terms of attracting type-ins as well as CTR (well above 100% for some of my names).

Two-word terms can get better ranking on search engines and attract more traffic than competitive single-word terms. This applies to other Asian names like Japanese and especially Arabic - popular two worders often get blasted with hundreds of hits a month from Google traffic.

Two worder works best for SEO, while single word is best for browser type-in.