PDA

View Full Version : First IDN registration: российская.com

jwjwjw
15th March 2006, 03:52 PM
Hello,

I did my first IDN registration today: российская.com

Various sites say it means "Russian", although I'm presuming not in the common context, possibly possessive?

российская has 4,100,000 hits on Google, has a yandex of 491356 (if I'm reading that right?) and overture of 29 on its own, although up to 1659 for phrases such as "российская газета". All of these results are without extension.

Firstly, can someone confirm what the word means?

Secondly, what sort of site do you think could be made from this domain? Does it have any value?

Thanks!

yanni
15th March 2006, 05:41 PM
Even though I'm not a native speaker, it seems I agree with your assumption that it's the posesive form of Russian. As in Russian Newspaper, Russian Federation, etc (as indicated by ovt and Yandex results).

Also, the Yandex score is for both российский and российская.

But I will let our Russian natives to pitch in.

jwjwjw
17th March 2006, 05:43 PM
I think I'm going blind... I'm sure Google showed 4,100,000 hits yesterday... I was wrong... it's 25,400,000 hits. :)

Can any Russians here offer any advice?

thefabfive
17th March 2006, 05:58 PM
While I am not Russian either I will second the opinion that this is a possessive form of the word. A very low Ovt (under 100) with a very high Yandex usually implies this case.

"российская газета" looks to be "Russian Gazette" or at least it sounds like "gazette". Not sure of the value but probably minimal. The Google results are probably not that relevant because this word is not used alone, but always in conjunction with another word.

We've all got a bunch of these domains that didn't turn out to be what we expected. :)

jose
17th March 2006, 06:23 PM
Just be careful with the accents. Read this:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1516-russias-third-largest-city-no-reserve.html

Writing with accents went out of style several centuries ago.

thefabfive
17th March 2006, 07:41 PM
Yes, avoid accents for Russian words. You can just remove them from the word since they take up one character space.

However, и and й are two seperate letters. This letter (й) is not accented and should not be substituted for. There are some words that can be spelled with both и and й but you would need to check Yandex and Ovt to see which one is used more.

rofsjan
1st May 2006, 03:09 PM
hello jwjwjw,

"российская" is spelled well.
This word means "Russian". It is an adjective which can be used in combination with / or to describe a noun of the feminine jender.

"российская" and "русская" can be translated as Russian, but depending on context they can have slightly different meanings.

"й" is the correct character. "россииская" is wrong.

blastfromthepast
1st May 2006, 04:57 PM
In Russian, words in dictionary form are best for domains.

This is because each word can have a dozen endings that can be applied to it depending on the grammatical position it has in a sentence.

Nouns conjugate, verbs decline, and adjectives also change endings.

There are also special endings for nouns that change the meaning slightly for cuteness, rudeness, or for intimate conversation. The subtle differences in meaning are too complex to describe.

It is the opposite of Chinese.

blastfromthepast
9th May 2006, 06:34 AM
I did my first IDN registration today: российская.com

The exact meaning of it would be: "Russian .com", as in "a Russian dot com", Russian as in "a dot com of the country of Russia", but not with the meaning Russian language, or Russian ethnic group.