PDA

View Full Version : Dell vs Florida Registrars

jose
30th November 2007, 06:32 PM
Three Florida Registrars were named in a lawsuit by Dell on November 16th; all this is just coming to the surface now. Those three registrars are BelgiumDomains, CapitolDomains, and DomainDoorman. They also have a few sister companies such as Netrian Ventures and IHoldings.com that were named too. Dell personally named Juan Pablo “JP” Vazquez because he was on the incorporation paperwork for most of these companies. Dell has a feeling there are 10 other John Does as well that could be related and is seeking the true identity of those companies as well as naming them in the suit. John Berryhill sent me over a copy of the lawsuit today and I have been reading through it. You can read the main document and the supporting doc 1, and supporting doc 2.

This is a bad day for Domain Tasting (a term I coined). This is a good day for Trademark watchdogs. Several companies have noticed this lawsuit and are re-thinking domain tasting.

UPDATE: We ran some stats, and according to our internal data, those three registrars are responsible for 72.5% of all domain tasting in the last 6 months (That is 185,650,068 of the 255,212,260 domains which were tasted).

http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/11/dell-vs-florida-registrars/

nice!

Rubber Duck
30th November 2007, 06:50 PM
This will greatly raise the profile of domaining amongst the American Public and Corporations alike, and make the domaining business model clear to everyone.

It will greatly clarify the difference between legitimate investing and cyber-squatting.

It will greatly reduce the field of potential investment.

What it will mean, is in the Generic field there will be more investors chasing fewer names.

All sounds like a recipe for steeply rising prices.

Bruins
30th November 2007, 07:14 PM
I stopped recommending Dell to my clients 5 years ago.
The quality of their products & services went downhill. Precipitously.
Toshiba is my favorite.

I see Mike D occasionally at the expos. He comes accross as a little fat brat with Napoleonic complex.