PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Romanian IDNs

Noemi
30th November 2007, 09:24 PM
Has anyone else registered Romanian IDNs? The majority of those registered are using the wrong letters (ş and ţ) <<-- Those letters are from the turkish alphabet. The correct letters used are ț and ș (hopefully the forum encoding will allow you to see the difference). Real romanian letters have commas under the letters NOT cedillas. Cedillas were used in all OS's for the "Romanian Alphabet" BEFORE Vista and OSX. So bascially when everyone will use Vista/OSX/Future OS's, the cedilla domains will never be accessed.

But people still use old OS's and they get accessed now. If you've bought domains with these letters, which letters did you choose and did you know about the difference in characters? I've bought both but I prefer Romanian domains with other characters instead of these problematic ones.

burnsinternet
1st December 2007, 12:49 AM
I didn't go after Romanian early on for that reason and the difficulty of translation. The closest thing I went after was Polish. The Polish domains do very well. I only have two Romanian IDNs.

Can you suggest any English <--> Romanian online dictionaries or translators?

1st December 2007, 01:13 AM
Welcome to IDNForums Noemi, Good to see you here :)
Michael Schneider

DomainDialect
1st December 2007, 01:18 AM
Has anyone else registered Romanian IDNs? The majority of those registered are using the wrong letters (ş and ţ) <<-- Those letters are from the turkish alphabet. The correct letters used are ț and ș (hopefully the forum encoding will allow you to see the difference). Real romanian letters have commas under the letters NOT cedillas. Cedillas were used in all OS's for the "Romanian Alphabet" BEFORE Vista and OSX. So bascially when everyone will use Vista/OSX/Future OS's, the cedilla domains will never be accessed.

But people still use old OS's and they get accessed now. If you've bought domains with these letters, which letters did you choose and did you know about the difference in characters? I've bought both but I prefer Romanian domains with other characters instead of these problematic ones.
Hello. I have preţ.com and pagină.com. Is preţ not correct for "price"? I get about 2.5 million Google. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

burnsinternet
1st December 2007, 02:00 AM
So, is it "Iași" or "Iaşi"?

I assume Iași has fewer search pages because of the problem you highlight in your post?

Drewbert
1st December 2007, 02:54 AM
Hello. I have preţ.com and pagină.com. Is preţ not correct for "price"? I get about 2.5 million Google. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

You get 2.5 million google because you haven't put it in quotes. 2.5 million includes pret and prêt.

++"preţ" scores 180k and the "correct" ++"preț" scores 5k. Which shows that it's going to take a while for the wrongs of previous versions of Windows to be righted in Romania.

burnsinternet
1st December 2007, 02:56 AM
Agree with Drewbert. Expect an increase.

Noemi
1st December 2007, 03:08 AM
I've already gotten a PM about how I'm "giving away secrets" .. haha ;)

Anyway ..Thanks for the Welcome, Michael, and hello again Burnsinternet (I'm tbh from DP, you told me to come here).

Yes pret means price (however still using the common and gramatically incorrect cedilla character) It still has alot of value though so don't worry, just because its gramatically wrong doesn't mean its not used. I don't know which one is 'better' thats why I made this post. I've bought domains from both sides and am still looking at the advantages and disadvantages.

The Iași question -- by the way one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been too -- The correct way is with the s-comma. But once again "correct" doesn't always mean more profitable!

I do lean more toward being correct just because it is my language and I don't like it being modified. That brings me to the other question ..the best dictionary to use for romanian words. I use http://www.ectaco.co.uk/English-Romanian-Dictionary/ but it doesnt always have the most common word first. I'm a native speaker so I can't really give alot of tips, but I do use adwords keyword selector tool to see which are searched more. (THAT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE FOR ANY LANGUAGE, I'M NOT GIVING AWAY SECRETS)

yanni
1st December 2007, 03:16 AM
Thanks Noemi for giving away your secrets;) I just went and regged the correct versions of the ones I already had that needed the change, plus pcked up a few new ones along the way.

Welcome to the forum.

Noemi
1st December 2007, 03:20 AM
Domainsite is down for me .. do you use dynadot?

yanni
1st December 2007, 03:27 AM
Yes

burnsinternet
1st December 2007, 03:53 AM
Noemí! Bun venit!

http://www.ectaco.co.uk/English-Romanian-Dictionary/? Mulţumesc!

:p

Domainsite is down for me .. do you use dynadot?

I just renewed a bunch of domainsite domains. Maybe I crashed everything? Once my cc authorized, I couldn't get back on, either.

Noemi
1st December 2007, 04:04 AM
Tsk tsk tsk! Its alright I just used dynadot for a second.

markits
1st December 2007, 04:08 AM
Thanks Noemi and welcome!

Based on your info, I just picked up the following domains. Are they worthwhile regs?

botoșani.com
argeș.com
dâmbovița.com
ialomița.com
mehedinți.com
mureș.com
timiș.com
neamț.com

yanni
1st December 2007, 04:09 AM
Btw Burns,

when you see my name on Iași whois tomorrow, it's just a coincidence. I regged it before seeing your post :)

Noemi
1st December 2007, 04:13 AM
Thanks Noemi and welcome!

Based on your info, I just picked up the following domains. Are they worthwhile regs?

botoșani.com
argeș.com
dâmbovița.com
ialomița.com
mehedinți.com
mureș.com
timiș.com
neamț.com
You're making me jealous, that's all I'll say. mureș.com ... neamț.com :eek:

markits
1st December 2007, 04:13 AM
Nice pick up yanni,
I saw all the biggest cities were gone on 30th Nov 2007.

yanni
1st December 2007, 04:33 AM
I went for Bucharest first when I saw this post and it was already snatched but all others were open. i just took a couple of the cities and two countries, among other things...

Noemi
1st December 2007, 04:59 AM
I've taken a bunch of cities myself.

markits
1st December 2007, 06:05 AM
I only got the Bucharest dot net

rkae
1st December 2007, 06:31 AM
Welcome Noemi :)

Noemi
1st December 2007, 07:20 AM
I got bucurești.com, timișoara.com, and galați.com

rkae, Thank you =)

jacksonm
1st December 2007, 07:56 AM
I've already gotten a PM about how I'm "giving away secrets" .. haha ;)

I suppose the only one who would consider this a secret and who would send you that type of PM would be xxx. It's a real shame that some people have this attitude.

I don't have any romanian domains, but I still thank you for providing the knowledge.

touchring
1st December 2007, 12:13 PM
I suppose the only one who would consider this a secret

With my big mouth, I received pms like this at least 5 times the last 2 years. I would usually comply and stop talking. :o

blastfromthepast
1st December 2007, 06:57 PM
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/417/carelesslipsql0.jpg

1st December 2007, 07:02 PM
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/417/carelesslipsql0.jpg

Funny hearing you say that. This is a friendly ( :) ) reminder about the 'talk' we had.

blastfromthepast
1st December 2007, 07:29 PM
I'm waiting for the TOSS ROMANIAN DOMAINS thread. That guy was taught smartly.

1st December 2007, 07:41 PM
Funny hearing you say that. This is a friendly ( :) ) reminder about the 'talk' we had.

Dan, For the record, what i said to you has nothing to do with anything public. its about an obligation i think you forgot.

Noemi
1st December 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm waiting for the TOSS ROMANIAN DOMAINS thread. That guy was taught smartly.
I don't care what people do with their romanian domains or people's opinions about their value. I am developing most of mine so they will have value.

blastfromthepast
1st December 2007, 09:38 PM
I don't care what people do with their romanian domains or people's opinions about their value. I am developing most of mine so they will have value.

Just so you know: this is a forum where people share opinions about value, buy, sell, and show off their work.

You talk, IDN walks. Thats the way it is.

Noemi
1st December 2007, 10:48 PM
Boo hoo, get over it. If people shouldnt talk then there shouldnt be a "IDN Discussion" forum.

If I buy 5000 premium IDN's but nobody knows that they have value whats the point of owning them and never being able to sell?

Drewbert
2nd December 2007, 01:23 AM
Boo hoo, get over it. If people shouldnt talk then there shouldnt be a "IDN Discussion" forum.

If I buy 5000 premium IDN's but nobody knows that they have value whats the point of owning them and never being able to sell?

Traffic?

:^)

bwhhisc
2nd December 2007, 01:52 AM
I only got the Bucharest dot net

"bucurești" gives 11,800 google serp.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22bucure%C8%99ti%22&btnG=Search

That seems low...or do I have accent wrong?

blastfromthepast
2nd December 2007, 02:03 AM

Then they aren't premium domains you got.

yanni
2nd December 2007, 04:06 AM

This is why:

The majority of those registered are using the wrong letters (ş and ţ) <<-- Those letters are from the turkish alphabet. The correct letters used are ț and ș (hopefully the forum encoding will allow you to see the difference). Real romanian letters have commas under the letters NOT cedillas. Cedillas were used in all OS's for the "Romanian Alphabet" BEFORE Vista and OSX. So bascially when everyone will use Vista/OSX/Future OS's, the cedilla domains will never be accessed.

markits
2nd December 2007, 04:12 AM

Bill,
bucurești is the correct Romanian form. Noemi has told us that the old MS Windows system did not support the correct alphabet "ș", only the new vista system supports this ș. That is why you see very low serp. Without the vista system, the correct version bucurești would have SERP close to zero.

The older windows used the wrong one: ş.

Thanks again to Noemi for sharing the knowledge.

Drewbert
2nd December 2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks again to Noemi for sharing the knowledge.

Yes. Finally we got one over on "The Snows". :)

yanni
2nd December 2007, 08:00 AM
They watch this board.

jacksonm
2nd December 2007, 08:47 AM
They watch this board.

Without a doubt they are even members, so they can read the members only sections, etc. I wouldn't even be surprised if they are premium members.

Seems quite daft to keep the Members List feature disabled.

Drewbert
2nd December 2007, 09:02 AM
Without a doubt they are even members, so they can read the members only sections, etc. I wouldn't even be surprised if they are premium members.

Seems quite daft to keep the Members List feature disabled.

I'd put money on them being members. But not premium members.

Noemi
2nd December 2007, 09:05 AM
I can't seem to register these anymore. I get this: "...you checked an IDN that was available at the time of purchase and the order failed for that domain, chances are the IDN you attempted to register was a variant of an IDN already registered. This usually means that the domain name contains native characters in one language that can be mapped to those of another. The Verisign registry currently blocks the registration of these IDN domain names but does not return a false check."

jacksonm
2nd December 2007, 09:12 AM
I can't seem to register these anymore. I get this: "...you checked an IDN that was available at the time of purchase and the order failed for that domain, chances are the IDN you attempted to register was a variant of an IDN already registered. This usually means that the domain name contains native characters in one language that can be mapped to those of another. The Verisign registry currently blocks the registration of these IDN domain names but does not return a false check."

LOL! The infamous variant check has bitten you!