PDA

View Full Version : Another Duck prediction fulfilled.

Rubber Duck
3rd December 2007, 06:26 PM
This one took less than a week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7124712.stm

alexd
3rd December 2007, 06:34 PM
You don't have the lottery numbers for this Saturday for me do you ??

Rubber Duck
3rd December 2007, 06:37 PM
You don't have the lottery numbers for this Saturday for me do you ??

I only bet on what I see a sure fire certainties.

Must admit I thought IDN would pan out quicker than this, but I had not made proper allowance for the mind blowing intransigence of M$.

jacksonm
3rd December 2007, 06:41 PM
This one took less than a week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7124712.stm

Looks like it's time for them to start pricing in a stable currency.

Rubber Duck
3rd December 2007, 06:42 PM
Looks like it's time for them to start pricing in a stable currency.

When they mean Outside Europe, I rather doubt that they are talking about the US!

jacksonm
3rd December 2007, 06:43 PM
When they mean Outside Europe, I rather doubt that they are talking about the US!

Yes, but they are tackling the problem from the wrong perspective. They are trying to change their direct costs away from the EURO. What they should be doing is changing their pricing to the EURO.

touchring
3rd December 2007, 06:48 PM
Yes, but they are tackling the problem from the wrong perspective. They are trying to change their direct costs away from the EURO. What they should be doing is changing their pricing to the EURO.

Not easy if you are in a high value biz that is competitive and has customers worldwide. Stuff like ship building, are also in billed dollars. Management usually does currency hedging, but it can only work so far.

I've yet to change my pricing to euro, but i reduced the discounts i give out to offset the decline in the dollar. Somehow, it still gives the impression of lower cost overall.

Rubber Duck
3rd December 2007, 06:49 PM

No, all they would do is price themselves out of the market.

Some assembly will be shipped out to China and so will much of the component manufacture.

I think you will see them using the A380 airframe to fly stuff backwards and forwards.
Take the wings off and you could fly a completed fuselage or wings of the smaller planes either way.

Bruins
3rd December 2007, 07:05 PM
We can always switch to barter

touchring
3rd December 2007, 07:07 PM
Everyone is trying to inflate and devalue their currency is become cheaper. Soon, we'll be using e-gold.

Drewbert
3rd December 2007, 08:29 PM
Pricing your planes in the currency that your main manufacturing bases are in seems to be a wise thing to do.

Maybe Boeing is behind the dollar collapse?

jacksonm
3rd December 2007, 08:33 PM
Pricing your planes in the currency that your main manufacturing bases are in seems to be a wise thing to do.

I'd vote for Halliburton. Didn't they recently move their HQ to Dubai?

Rubber Duck
3rd December 2007, 08:38 PM

Competition is about getting cost down.

US seems to want to trash its currency in a way that Europeans are not prepared to compete. The current Fed policy is unsustainable. Perhaps they think they can tough it out until after the election, but I think they are miscalculating. Dropping interest rates in the jaws of a credit crunch is a recipe for disaster.

Europe's only option is to outsource at least part of the work. By outsourcing to India and China they can guarantee getting the lion's share of the what will be the World's two largest markets. Boeing will not be able to do this. Collecting hidden subsidies from the US Government to outsource abroad in the biggest industrial downturn in US history isn't going to get the Republican Party elected, now is it?

clipper
3rd December 2007, 09:45 PM
Collecting hidden subsidies from the US Government to outsource abroad in the biggest industrial downturn in US history isn't going to get the Republican Party elected, now is it?

Methinks you are underestimating the ignorance of the American voter.:eek:

Drewbert
3rd December 2007, 10:50 PM
Methinks you are underestimating the ignorance of the American voter.:eek:

Fool me once....

thefabfive
3rd December 2007, 10:55 PM
... can't get fooled again!

yanni
3rd December 2007, 11:52 PM
the Who.

bwhhisc