PDA

View Full Version : IDN Display URL in Adsense Campaigns

jacksonm
4th December 2007, 08:00 PM
Anybody know when this will be available? Has there been any talk on the blogs or anything? It's pretty damned disappointing to try to run an ad campaign for an IDN site with punycode as the Display URL.

thegenius1
4th December 2007, 08:03 PM
Anybody know when this will be available? Has there been any talk on the blogs or anything? It's pretty damned disappointing to try to run an ad campaign for an IDN site with punycode as the Display URL.

I dont understand whats the hold up with it , their dam algo displays unicode WTF not the adsense program. I'm ready to start selling some things and what not.

Fka200
4th December 2007, 08:18 PM
I've already notified them of this problem. No idea what the status is though. Pretty sad they can't get it working.

Rubber Duck
4th December 2007, 08:19 PM
They obviously feel the need to compete with Microsoft in the Ineptitude Stakes!

jacksonm
4th December 2007, 09:06 PM
They obviously feel the need to compete with Microsoft in the Ineptitude Stakes!

Or with my ISP, which is one of the largest in Finland. I mailed them a few weeks ago about adding IDN support into their webmail and they flat out refused. Kind of odd when you consider that very many Finnish last names contain ä and ö.

Gmail doesn't support IDN, either.

clipper
4th December 2007, 10:09 PM
Latins have no problem. I've never tried with other scripts, though.

Kind of odd when you consider that very many Finnish last names contain ä and ö.

ö worked on a German domain for me s has ő in a Hungarian name. This was over the summer. I had to wait for a manual review, since the display URL is differnt than the linked URL, and I just explained in the form that it's an IDN with a brief intro of the topic. They even let me use the domainname.tld as the headline, which I later found out was against TOS.

thegenius1
4th December 2007, 11:27 PM
Latins have no problem. I've never tried with other scripts, though.

ö worked on a German domain for me s has ő in a Hungarian name. This was over the summer. I had to wait for a manual review, since the display URL is differnt than the linked URL, and I just explained in the form that it's an IDN with a brief intro of the topic. They even let me use the domainname.tld as the headline, which I later found out was against TOS.

Im going to try later on this evening and find out if the LasVegasNevăda.com makes it through.

bwhhisc
4th December 2007, 11:39 PM
Or with my ISP, which is one of the largest in Finland. I mailed them a few weeks ago about adding IDN support into their webmail and they flat out refused. Kind of odd when you consider that very many Finnish last names contain ä and ö. Gmail doesn't support IDN, either. .
They may find themselves out of touch with the changing realities of the internet very soon.
Might cost them a lot of customers to their competitors in a very short period of time.

mulligan
5th December 2007, 02:38 AM
They may find themselves out of touch with the changing realities of the internet very soon.
Might cost them a lot of customers to their competitors in a very short period of time.

I don't know .. Maybe new customers but old customers would be unlikely to change their email address to the correct form if they have had the address for more than a week, unless providers insist they adopt the correct spelling which would be unlikely.

rhys
5th December 2007, 09:39 AM
When you get big and bloated like google is you turn EVIL. How does it feel big G?

jacksonm
6th December 2007, 04:22 PM
I just got a response back from my support request:

I confirmed with senior members of our technical and policy teams that currently we are unable to approve ads with vanity URL's.

I'm not kidding you, this is what their senior staff thinks about IDNs.

thegenius1
6th December 2007, 07:01 PM
I just got a response back from my support request:

I'm not kidding you, this is what their senior staff thinks about IDNs.

Man this is a uphill battle

zenmarketing
6th December 2007, 07:08 PM
"vanity URLs"?

This is going to be painful...

jacksonm
6th December 2007, 08:11 PM
"vanity URLs"?

This is going to be painful...

I bet if Yahoo or MSN supported it, Google would get their butts into high gear!