PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Help Please

domainstosell
6th December 2007, 02:58 AM
Could a native speaker be so kind as to give confirmation on the following terms, please?

تحميل-العاب.com and تحميلالعاب.com - "Download Games"

تحميلافلام.com - "Download Movies" (تحميل افلام)

تحميل-اغاني.com and تحميلاغاني.com - "Download Songs"

Thanks!

Muhammad Mustafa
6th December 2007, 01:03 PM
Could a native speaker be so kind as to give confirmation on the following terms, please?

تحميل-العاب.com and تحميلالعاب.com - "Download Games"

تحميلافلام.com - "Download Movies" (تحميل افلام)

تحميل-اغاني.com and تحميلاغاني.com - "Download Songs"

Thanks!

تحميل-العاب.com, translation is right
تحميلالعاب.com, two words connected, useless of course DROP
تحميلافلام.com, two words connected, useless of course DROP
تحميل-اغاني.com, translation is right
تحميلاغاني.com, two words connected, useless of course DROP

this is enough? ;)

domainstosell
6th December 2007, 01:28 PM
تحميل-العاب.com, translation is right
تحميلالعاب.com, two words connected, useless of course DROP
تحميلافلام.com, two words connected, useless of course DROP
تحميل-اغاني.com, translation is right
تحميلاغاني.com, two words connected, useless of course DROP

this is enough? ;)

Yes, thanks Muhammad.

I notice you suggest dropping the forms where the 2 words are connected, but I actually have some other Arabic two word, connected domains that receive some traffic and revenue.

Do you think those are just abberations, or do you think that, since the person typing in the url knows what they are inputting, they may not even realize the words are connecting until after they've already typed?

I'd love to hear yours and other's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

jacksonm
6th December 2007, 01:40 PM
Yes, thanks Muhammad.

I notice you suggest dropping the forms where the 2 words are connected, but I actually have some other Arabic two word, connected domains that receive some traffic and revenue.

Do you think those are just abberations, or do you think that, since the person typing in the url knows what they are inputting, they may not even realize the words are connecting until after they've already typed?

Thanks!

Arabic is all script (cursive so to speak), and some letters change when they join. But the difference in Arabic and English is that in Arabic, joined letters can often times become either senseless or change the meaning to something else. It is actually quite rare when you can join words without changing the characters, but these are OK IMO. Others will prefer the dash... The jury is still out.

Muhammad Mustafa
6th December 2007, 02:59 PM
Yes, thanks Muhammad.

Thanks!

can you please to show me the connected domains you have which receive traffic? do you have any idea about the traffic nature?
IMO and I think many (if not all) Arabic natives here will have the same opinions, two or more connected words in Arabic is useless and make no sense at all. to have two or more connected words in Arabic is something like you have: (hoshfjdgkndlnlneigfignfekjo) in English, too I don't think any body will notice the 2 words are connected after he typed it he knows this before he type it. as MJ said in most (in fact, all) connected words the meaning is something else which no native can understand. anyway this emains my own opinion and I wish you all luck with your names :)

markits
6th December 2007, 03:12 PM
Muhammad has been extremely helpful in providing the "native" knowledge to us. I simply trust him.

There might be some confusions here. domainstosell's traffic domains may not be actually connected at all, they might be multiple words without the dash symbol but still be separated words and maintain the original meaning. Muhammad's mean by "connected" is that two words formed into a nonsense word by removing the dash or space between them. These need to be avoided.

domainstosell
6th December 2007, 03:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I trust Muhammad's expertise as a native speaker, and I don't mean to challenge him on his views. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole connected-vs-hyphenated issue. I'm very thankful that Muhammad and other native speakers of various languages on this forum are so willing to help out.

As far as the domains I was talking about, here are a couple. Understand that when I say "traffic," it is minimal at best - but it is traffic and a few clicks as well:

صدامحسين.com - Namedrive indicates that most traffic is from "Asia" or "Other"

دردشةعراقية.com - Again, mostly "Asia" or "Other" - but it would appear that this 2-word term doesn't "connect" like others do.

اغانىعربية.com - Also "Asia" and "Other"