PDA

View Full Version : Geo Domains -- Lowest Population you'll go

Noemi
6th December 2007, 05:00 AM
Population seems to be the major factor. Whats the lowest pop you'd go for?

jose
6th December 2007, 05:15 AM

Rubber Duck
6th December 2007, 05:20 AM
I stopped at 250K for Japan, but my scores in India will be over 1 Million, so it depends on the market. I believe I have been too conservative.

thegenius1
6th December 2007, 06:46 AM
My opinion is how long do you want to wait it out. Think of it as you are a web developer and you live in a city with 75k people. How much would you call and offer the guy/girl that owns the keys to your city ? Speculators will be the number crunchers , natives will have patriotic pride and know their demographic.

rkae
6th December 2007, 07:52 AM
Lowest were some 10k cities. But these have established holiday/ summer resorts. A somewhat popular places with little population. Hm, actually today I'm going to register the name of some straight village (less than 5k population for sure) because I've read someone is going to invest a few millions in building a resort there.
(I'm talking Bulgarian IDNs)
I haven't been too conservative :p Geo domains all the way.

markits
6th December 2007, 08:31 AM
While we are talking about populations here, I will take advantages of this thread.
Appraisal request for Подгорица.com (Podgorica).

Подгорица, (local official language) the capital city of the newest country Montenegro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podgorica
Подгорица.com is a new domain I picked up. Wiki article says: [Although being a medium sized city by European standards, Podgorica is by far the largest city in Montenegro, with almost one third of Montenegrins living there. There are around 170,000 people in the Podgorica municipality, including the small towns of Tuzi and Golubovci, and around 140,000 people in the city itself. This is the official data from the 2003 census, while estimates go up to 200,000].

Any opinion for this domain? How much are you willing to pay for it?

Thanks

rkae
6th December 2007, 08:42 AM
It's true that the Serbian wikipedia is written in cyrillic (and I think Montenegro's as well) but the Serbs use both latin and cyrillic. It's mixed. They use both cyrillic and latin alphabets but cyrillic seems to be prefered on, for example government sites and official papers (I guess).
I wanted to gather some more info and I found some Serbians online. They said that some magazines and newspapers are being printed in cyrillic and some in latin. Serbian webmasters and young people seem to prefer latin and the lack of statistics on serbian cyrillic keywords in google trends confirms this for me. I think the trend is towards transition to latin there. I'm inclined to think the situation in Montenegro is similar or identical so I'm not interested in this domain, thanks for the offer though.

http://google.com/trends?q=podgorica%2C+%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

dotworx
6th December 2007, 11:11 AM
I usually go down to 10k (given the country's GDP per capita is greater than 10K USD)

ekal
6th December 2007, 11:40 AM
Interesting question .... entirely depends on the country.

All the way from 10,000 or less in the U.S. to 500,000 in India.

jacksonm
6th December 2007, 12:40 PM
I got an Arabic dot com which is 421k population, 4th largest city in UAE, and it's a resort city which has been continuously inhabited for 4 thousand years.

How much would it be worth per person on the current market?

Rubber Duck
6th December 2007, 12:53 PM
I got an Arabic dot com which is 421k population, 4th largest city in UAE, and it's a resort city which has been continuously inhabited for 4 thousand years.

How much would it be worth per person on the current market?

Not quite as much as Dubai or Abu Dhabi, but pretty darn close!

6th December 2007, 01:08 PM
I got the 4th city in Russia екатеринбург.com population 1.3mm...
Bought from RD...planning to start development on that once im done with the soccer site.

jacksonm
6th December 2007, 01:24 PM
I got the 4th city in Russia екатеринбург.com population 1.3mm...
Bought from RD...planning to start development on that once im done with the soccer site.

Nice one!

bwhhisc
6th December 2007, 01:45 PM
For Japan and places with lots of internet already in use...minimum of 80,000 population.
For developing countries with good industrial cities or tourist cities, at least 250,000
For Chinese cities, mostly at least 1,000,000 population and up because their are probably hundreds in that catagory.

mrleewood
7th December 2007, 05:59 AM
For Japan and places with lots of internet already in use...minimum of 80,000 population.
For developing countries with good industrial cities or tourist cities, at least 250,000
For Chinese cities, mostly at least 1,000,000 population and up because their are probably hundreds in that catagory.
I just have 3 geo IDNs:
河源.com 3,000,000 population
滕州.com 1,570,000 population
佳木斯.com 2,500,000 population

following your rule,my inds valueable.

seamo
7th December 2007, 07:46 AM
I consider population density too - a city could have a small geographic footprint offset by a high density of inhabitants...