PDA

View Full Version : This Video Clip not to be missed!

Rubber Duck
8th December 2007, 09:38 AM
http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9817009-12.html?tag=dl-blog

Sorry. Made related post last night but nobody seem to pick up on it! This is, however, an important part of the big picture.

burnsinternet
8th December 2007, 09:39 AM
IDN compatible?

Rubber Duck
8th December 2007, 09:55 AM
I believe so.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39189452,00.htm

jacksonm
8th December 2007, 12:42 PM
IDN compatible?

My Nokia N95 browser is not IDN compatible, so I just installed Opera Mini 4 and it is IDN compatible. Yes, finally!

The other problem I had was reading this forum where the thread had UTF-8 characters - the N95 browser refused to open the link, but Opera opens it.

Rubber Duck
8th December 2007, 04:20 PM
My Nokia N95 browser is not IDN compatible, so I just installed Opera Mini 4 and it is IDN compatible. Yes, finally!

The other problem I had was reading this forum where the thread had UTF-8 characters - the N95 browser refused to open the link, but Opera opens it.

Thanks for that confirmation. I still struggle to understand why most people do not see this as a big deal. Tata are pushing this in India, it will soon be global or if this isn't something technically superior will be. Basically it is the poor man's IPhone. Mobile browsing is here. The massive IDN markets which will be substantially Mobile are going to be supported sooner rather than later. This is huge!

Steve Clarke
8th December 2007, 06:02 PM
Good News...Another piece of the puzzle.

jose
8th December 2007, 06:22 PM
Have been using this for a long time in beta on my htc tytn.

Good news for .mobi as expected.

I do however have a problem with the small screens browsing. A couple of years ago people said the Internet was moving to the living room and never did nor will do in the future. Browsing is a personal experience and the living room is not a personal environment.

Having said that, what I think is that phones in the future will be used to… talk. Big screens/projectors to watch tv/movies and medium screens with keyboards! to browse the Internet. And the radio will exist forever, on cars, while you do jogging and take a bath.

Rubber Duck
8th December 2007, 06:47 PM
Yes, but if you can only afford a moderately priced phone and have no PC, which may be the case for hundreds of millions this is going to have traction. If they start on the phone, the habit will be formed and reinforced even if they later progress to PCs.

School kids sneaking on to the web between or even during classes is a classic example of how this medium could really work!

burnsinternet
8th December 2007, 09:59 PM
Have been using this for a long time in beta on my htc tytn.

Good news for .mobi as expected.

I do however have a problem with the small screens browsing. A couple of years ago people said the Internet was moving to the living room and never did nor will do in the future. Browsing is a personal experience and the living room is not a personal environment.

Having said that, what I think is that phones in the future will be used to… talk. Big screens/projectors to watch tv/movies and medium screens with keyboards! to browse the Internet. And the radio will exist forever, on cars, while you do jogging and take a bath.

Bold predictions! LOL! I do agree, though. Mobile browsing for me is for sports scores, weather, and other quick info. I don't shop online with my phone. I can see online gaming for phones for some in airports, buses, or school. It just can't beat my big LCD screens, though.

Yes, but if you can only afford a moderately priced phone and have no PC, which may be the case for hundreds of millions this is going to have traction. If they start on the phone, the habit will be formed and reinforced even if they later progress to PCs.

School kids sneaking on to the web between or even during classes is a classic example of how this medium could really work!

Yes, but, just like radio listening is chiefly a 'car' phenomenon (in the U.S.), browsing will chiefly be by PC, I believe. At least the type of surfing that we all want....

Rubber Duck
8th December 2007, 10:06 PM
Yes, but, just like radio listening is chiefly a 'car' phenomenon (in the U.S.), browsing will chiefly be by PC, I believe. At least the type of surfing that we all want....

Look personally I hate SMS. If I had been asked whether it would ever catch on, I would probably have said no. I don't think I will ever browse on a mobile, but I believe millions will!

jose
8th December 2007, 10:20 PM
Look personally I hate SMS. If I had been asked whether it would ever catch on, I would probably have said no. I don't think I will ever browse on a mobile, but I believe millions will!

SMS is talking. I use MSN messenger on the phone.

Rubber Duck
8th December 2007, 10:36 PM
SMS is talking. I use MSN messenger on the phone.

See what I mean. I ain't got a clue. I get stressed every time I receive a text, but I am getting therapy.

The point is, it really has nothing to do with your own personal comfort zone. This is where most domainers get it completely wrong, including most of the so called Greats. It is not about trying to extrapolate your individual preference to extend across the globe. It is about working out what other people are going to be comfortable and enthusiastic about, and trying to capitalise but helping to meet their needs or at least their perceived needs.

jose
8th December 2007, 10:52 PM
See what I mean. I ain't got a clue. I get stressed every time I receive a text, but I am getting therapy.

The point is, it really has nothing to do with your own personal comfort zone. This is where most domainers get it completely wrong, including most of the so called Greats. It is not about trying to extrapolate your individual preference to extend across the globe. It is about working out what other people are going to be comfortable and enthusiastic about, and trying to capitalise but helping to meet their needs or at least their perceived needs.

I am a very trendy dude, believe me. My friends sometimes want to go to discos that play music from the 80's and 90's and I almost puke each time they say that!

Rubber Duck
8th December 2007, 11:00 PM
My friends sometimes want to go to discos that play music from the 80's and 90's and I almost puke each time they say that!

I can understand that. Music went seriously downhill at the end of the 1970's, but the classic era was the 50's and 60's. :p

burnsinternet
8th December 2007, 11:44 PM
Texting, email, and a little surfing... and voice, too? How could we live without it? Cell phones are heavenly!

Asiaplay
9th December 2007, 06:40 AM
Opera Mobile 8.65 (I am still awaiting Opera Mobile 9, which has been "coming soon" for a year so far now) - Opera Mobile V8.65 is even nicer to use and faster than Opera Mini 4 (as Mini 4 is java based and I understand routes through Opera's servers, both which slow it down a lot).

Opera has been IDN compatible since at least version 8, however Opera Mini being free and shipped they claim on 50 million phones is also a good sign (especially since they have teamed up with phone companies in IDN markets).
With Chinese, Japanese or Korean etc. input (my PDA has Chinese & Japanese text input), you can also directly type the IDN into the brower and it will resolve fine (so useful for type-ins as well).

It seems Opera are pushing forward in this field, with the only competitor being Safari (which is only for the iphone and I can almost never see being compatible to other devices - is Safari for iphone IDN compatible... guessing it is - yes?).
As with IE for the PC, it is unfortunately light years behind for PDA and phone devices (so much so, that it is virtually redundant for using on them).

I agree SMS!!!... I use yahoo, MSN, google chat and Skype on my PDA phone.
Skype being the most useful as it can also be used for free voice chats internationally as well (and in the same way normal calls are made).
Sms is only used when someone I chat to does not have internet connection for their phone (next IDN sale get yourself a PDA phone from HTC RD - then you can show people your IDNs when at the pub, rather than just talk about them ;) )!

Some comments - cheers, Asiaplay

jose
24th December 2007, 01:47 AM
Some things will never (or take a very looooong time to) change:

The famous Blog x NYTimes bet is over. NYT wins:

http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/12/21/myLongBetWithMartinNisenho.html

DomainDialect
24th December 2007, 03:40 AM
I can understand that. Music went seriously downhill at the end of the 1970's, but the classic era was the 50's and 60's. :p
Does this mean you're not a Boy George fan?:p

DomainDialect
24th December 2007, 03:49 AM
Bold predictions! LOL! I do agree, though. Mobile browsing for me is for sports scores, weather, and other quick info. I don't shop online with my phone. I can see online gaming for phones for some in airports, buses, or school. It just can't beat my big LCD screens, though.
I see where RD is coming from but I may have to change the power of my reading glasses.:p I rather like the big LCDs myself.

burnsinternet
24th December 2007, 04:02 AM
Yeah, kinda like watching TV casts on a mobile. You really have to want to do that. Big screens are better, but mobile is... well... mobile.

DomainDialect
24th December 2007, 05:31 AM
Yeah, kinda like watching TV casts on a mobile. You really have to want to do that. Big screens are better, but mobile is... well... mobile.
Ya know, though I do tend to watch full-length movies on my Ipod. It seems that after a few minutes I get so involved I don't notice the small screen.:)