PDA

View Full Version : China real estate trading more thrilling than domains.

touchring
11th December 2007, 02:34 PM
Domain trading thrills, how about trading apartment blocks that shoots up 10% each of the preceding two months, and down 20% the following month.

Simply amazing.

http://www.cctv.com/program/bizchina/20071211/103159.shtml

The price for this newly opened commercial housing project in Shenzhen has dropped dramatically.

Statistics from the Guangzhou and Shenzhen real estate markets are pointing towards a downward trend.

Many citizens say they're still taking a wait and see attitude after a series of government measures aimed at curbing speculation in China's property market.

The price for this newly opened commercial housing project in Shenzhen has dropped dramatically.

The average has plummeted by more than more than 20% percent to 13,000 yuan, from the original 16 thousand price per square meter.

GM, Real Estate Company, said, As investors become fewer and fewer, the prices are being adjusted accordingly.

Many developers are choosing to drop their prices. Another housing project has set its price at 5 thousand per square meter.

House Buyer, said, The price now is reasonable for me, but what if it continues to drop?

Experts say such price drops are not significantly driving sales. Potential house buyers say cheaper houses indicate a general downward trend in the industry. And many add that the country's macro control policies are making them very cautious.

Rubber Duck
11th December 2007, 03:17 PM
Might be good. If the focus switches from Real Estate, domaining could pick up some of the slack.

Domain trading thrills, how about trading apartment blocks that shoots up 10% each of the preceding two months, and down 20% the following month.

Simply amazing.

http://www.cctv.com/program/bizchina/20071211/103159.shtml

touchring
11th December 2007, 03:21 PM
Might be good. If the focus switches from Real Estate, domaining could pick up some of the slack.

They are essentially the same thing, many speculators own multiple properties, properties that can't rent out. At least you can park your domains.

Drewbert
11th December 2007, 05:22 PM
It's a bummer when a govt steps in and changes the playing field just after you've placed your bet.

I know someone that paid $20k to a local govt for a taxi licence, and then the next month they abolished the requirement for licences, so he was $20k in the hole compared to other starters (and suddenly, there were LOTS of them).

touchring
11th December 2007, 05:48 PM
It's the same with all investments, rules are changed all the time.

For china's case, the writing is already on the wall. People just refused to believe it.

I went to see some office real estate in China somewhere in September, i knew the CCP is going to act. Prices had not risen as much as in Singapore!

Inflation hits Singapore 6-12 months ahead of China. If the inflation is accelerating in Singapore, the CCP is going to face a big problem next year. Those peasant factory workers earning 800rmb a mth will find it impossible to survive.

zenmarketing
11th December 2007, 07:16 PM
Those peasant factory workers earning 800rmb a mth will find it impossible to survive.

In many cases the companies are already supplying them with housing, and food. It's a barely step above prison forced labor, really. I don't see how it can get much worse. Inflation is the least of their worries.

Rubber Duck
11th December 2007, 07:19 PM
Painful as it may be for individuals, it only becomes a problem to the National Economy when it makes it uncompetitive on a World stage. If China is going to take it place along side Europe and the US prices have to go up a lot!

g
11th December 2007, 07:28 PM
in Egypt also real estate trading is much more thrilling

prices never go down ... never!

stagnation do occur but people don't sell as they always expect sooner correction in prices ... all this because it is almost impossible to get loans to buy real estates ... most people full paid for their properties so they can wait as long as they can.

another factor is the Islamic law which forbid bank interest and Islamic banks gives little interest so people always invest in real estates .....

they will soon see domains as real estates ...... they are still immature with the internet and many are afraid to use credit cards or pay much money through the internet.

Egyptian pound interest rate is currently at around 8% per year :)

anyone buying ?

jacksonm
11th December 2007, 08:31 PM
in Egypt also real estate trading is much more thrilling

prices never go down ... never!

Same in Finland.

Rubber Duck
11th December 2007, 08:35 PM
Same in Finland.

No but you could fit both of them into Chelsea!

jacksonm
11th December 2007, 08:41 PM
No but you could fit both of them into Chelsea!

You lost me, RD.

Rubber Duck
11th December 2007, 09:29 PM
You lost me, RD.

The value of Kensington and Chelsea real-estate in London will exceed that of many small countries. London would be worth way more than New York!

IDNCowboy
12th December 2007, 12:50 AM
The value of Kensington and Chelsea real-estate in London will exceed that of many small countries. London would be worth way more than New York!
doubt it

The U.K. is puny face it

touchring
12th December 2007, 03:41 AM
In many cases the companies are already supplying them with housing, and food. It's a barely step above prison forced labor, really. I don't see how it can get much worse. Inflation is the least of their worries.

Some factories deduct the food and accomomdation expense from their basic wage. But it's still a far way from starvation, well, hundreds of millions of Indonesians and Indians have survived so far by eating just rice and sauce. The chinese will burn down the factory before they are forced to eating sauced rice!

mgrohan
12th December 2007, 04:22 AM
Yes i won't feel too sorry for China's labor force. They have their picks of jobs, with many switching jobs every couple of months. They get accommodation and proper meals, wages for them have risen a lot. They make more than enough to save quite a bit to take back to their village, to go with the nice payments the villagers get from the government.
With experience of running a factory in China, i would say they are very very far from being in forced labor :p .

Unlike other countries real estate markets, China's is heavily based on borrowing. A very large portion of those buying homes borrow all savings from family members in order to get the first deposit. With the 'invest in property' hysteria, the prices have definitely been driven up to high. Especially so in the larger cities: Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, GZ, etc. Expect prices to be dropping alot more in the near future.

touchring
12th December 2007, 10:04 AM
Especially so in the larger cities: Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, GZ, etc. Expect prices to be dropping alot more in the near future.

There's no need to wait in the near future, it is already happening.

The moment the outlook looks bleak, Chinese real estate company managers and owners will be disappearing by the hundreds and absconding with client deposits and payments for their homes.

I foresee builders cutting prices by 50% or more just to attract buyers and then running away with their deposits. The same thing happened in South East asia during the 90s financial crisis.

Never buy unless it is fully built with all the government licenses and deeds, verified with the authorities and you have inspected the place physically.

mgrohan
12th December 2007, 10:22 AM
Never buy unless it is fully built with all the government licenses and deeds, verified with the authorities and you have inspected the place physically.

Yeah, definitely agree with this. While house hunting lately have been many developers starting to sell apartments that are not completed and cannot be moved into until a full year later?! Who's going to want to buy a house you can't touch for a year? had me puzzled..

touchring
21st December 2007, 03:59 AM
Wow, starting with Shenzhen in October, now already spreaded to Guangzhou, that was fast, prices dropping faster than wallstreet stocks!

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2007-12/20/content_6335183.htm

Property prices plunge 9.9% in Guangzhou
By Zhan Lisheng (China Daily)
Updated: 2007-12-20 09:16

Guangzhou's property prices plunged 9.9 percent in November from the previous month, the first significant fall in several years.

The average cost of a new residential property in Guangzhou was 10,433 yuan ($1,413) per sqm in November, 1,141 yuan lower than the October price, according to a report given to the government inspection team yesterday.

"We haven't seen falling prices in the past couple of years - the property market's been red-hot and prices have been going up," said Xie Xiaodan, director of the Guangzhou land and housing administration.

The city's average residential apartment price hit a record high of 11,574 yuan per sqm in October, an 81.3 percent increase from the previous year, according to official statistics.

The average residential apartment price was 6,315 yuan per sqm in 2006, up 24.6 percent from 2005.

Many factors knocked down prices in November, including an increased supply of new housing and lower demand due to soaring prices, Xie said.

Residential property projects on the market have outnumbered sales since September, Xie said.

There was a total of 790,000 sqm of residential apartments for sale in November, 38.6 percent more than the 578, 600 sqm sold that month.

Residential apartments sold in the city between January and October totaled 7.01 million sqm, a drop of 8.2 percent from a year ago.

The figure for October was 577,400 sqm, down 17.9 percent from 2006.

"With more residential apartments available and sales dwindling, speculative demand will be constrained and more potential buyers will be waiting to see what happens," he said. "Housing prices in Guangzhou will calm down."

Wang Tao, a project manager at Centaline (Guangdong) Property Agency Ltd, agreed. Wang said local property developers were less enthusiastic about bidding for more land to develop residential properties.

At Guangzhou's last land sale for the year earlier this month, prices for the 10 parcels of land ranged from 1,482 yuan per sqm to 4,241 yuan per sqm - much cheaper than land auctioned off three months ago in similar locations.

Rubber Duck
21st December 2007, 05:17 AM
Aren't these right next door to one another?

The Chinese have been very pro-tactive in attempting to choke off an asset bubble. They have a lot of scope for easing market restriction should the World go into recession. They must be the only country in the World that has been jacking up reserve ratios, which is a very effective way of creating your own credit crunch. They can of course reverse the process at any time, which is more than Bush can easily do.

Giant
21st December 2007, 08:02 AM
Aren't these right next door to one another?

The Chinese have been very pro-tactive in attempting to choke off an asset bubble. They have a lot of scope for easing market restriction should the World go into recession. They must be the only country in the World that has been jacking up reserve ratios, which is a very effective way of creating your own credit crunch. They can of course reverse the process at any time, which is more than Bush can easily do.

Yes, the Chinese government can do a lot to stabilize the economy. I think measures to interfere are quite needed at the current stage of the development. It's not good for big real estate investors, but it can be good for ordinary citizens and China's economy in the long run.

Rubber Duck
21st December 2007, 09:20 AM
Yes, the Chinese government can do a lot to stabilize the economy. I think measures to interfere are quite needed at the current stage of the development. It's not good for big real estate investors, but it can be good for ordinary citizens and China's economy in the long run.

My experiences in Africa demonstrated to me that development is a complicated process. Free markets and democratic systems demonstrate mature stable societies. They don't necessarily give you a road map to achieve those goals. Sometime having the power to implement unpopular decision, without facing the sanction of the ballot box can provide advantages. Sometimes having the political will to implement unpopular but very necessary measures is almost impossible to achieve in a democratic society? Don't believe me, look at America. None of the things that need to get done will get done until after the Presidential elections in November. That would happen regardless of who the President was at the time. The fact the current encumbent is the biggest incompetant to have ever held the post does help much either.

jacksonm
21st December 2007, 09:53 AM
The fact the current encumbent is the biggest incompetant to have ever held the post does help much either.

Umm, close, but that award would still have to go to Lyndon B. Johnson.