PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo.com doesn't display IDN URLs?

jacksonm
16th December 2007, 10:12 AM
It's true. I was watching the logfile of my webserver when I noticed that a recently created arabic minisite had got a search visitor from Yahoo. So I copy/pasted the referral string into my browser and seen my domain in the #6 position - and the Display URL was shown in Punycode!!!

Well, it still didn't stop the visitor from coming... Maybe he liked the descriptive text so much that he couldn't resist.

IDNer
16th December 2007, 10:48 AM
I feel interested,
can you tell me the link url of it?

Rubber Duck
16th December 2007, 10:52 AM
Baby steps, but that toddler is growing up into a 500lb Gorilla.

It's true. I was watching the logfile of my webserver when I noticed that a recently created arabic minisite had got a search visitor from Yahoo. So I copy/pasted the referral string into my browser and seen my domain in the #6 position - and the Display URL was shown in Punycode!!!

Well, it still didn't stop the visitor from coming... Maybe he liked the descriptive text so much that he couldn't resist.

jacksonm
16th December 2007, 10:56 AM
I feel interested,
can you tell me the link url of it?

PM sent.

Fka200
16th December 2007, 11:26 AM
I thought this was known?

jacksonm
16th December 2007, 11:38 AM
I thought this was known?

Well, perhaps to all except for me!

Fka200
16th December 2007, 12:02 PM

Live does the same crap. No unicode, just punycode URLS.

Rubber Duck
16th December 2007, 12:06 PM

I checked a few of mine out by searching on the URL. As far as I can tell they are just in punycode.

The pattern normally is that you get duplication on re-indexing, then the punycode version drops out of the system at a later date. Of course this only happens if the Yahoo Indexing bots are actually visiting your domains, which is probably unlikely if you are parked.

If there is even one domain out there in Unicode, however, we must conclude that the Bots are now indexing on Unicode.

jacksonm
16th December 2007, 12:40 PM
I checked a few of mine out by searching on the URL. As far as I can tell they are just in punycode.

The pattern normally is that you get duplication on re-indexing, then the punycode version drops out of the system at a later date. Of course this only happens if the Yahoo Indexing bots are actually visiting your domains, which is probably unlikely if you are parked.

If there is even one domain out there in Unicode, however, we must conclude that the Bots are now indexing on Unicode.

Never been parked and has been reindexed several times over the past few weeks.

dusty
16th December 2007, 04:07 PM
My IDN show up in Yahoo results displaying native language. Is that what we are talking about?

zenmarketing
16th December 2007, 05:21 PM
I think it depends on the language, and the localized version of Yahoo.

jacksonm
16th December 2007, 05:46 PM
I am talking about yahoo.com. The URL language shouldn't even be a question, it's simply punycode conversion.

dusty
16th December 2007, 10:04 PM
I am talking about yahoo.com. The URL language shouldn't even be a question, it's simply punycode conversion.

My Chinese IDN show up as Chinese, but my Arabics show up as punycode in Yahoo.com results.