PDA

View Full Version : What may have been- One idea

DomainDialect
16th December 2007, 07:10 PM
So let's say the internet domain names started out as xxx.1, xxx.2 and so on. xxx.1 could be the now xxx.com, xxx.2 the now xxx.net, etc. IDNs could have popped in anytime with ддд.1 (Russian) for example. The extension could have been the same all over the world. All keyboards would be required to have the numerals 0-9. Countries/languages that already used the 0-9 numeral set would have an advantage but others would learn quickly. That would eliminate the .es, .jp, .cn and so on. I know it's too late but could this have worked? Am I talking nonsense? Comments, please.

16th December 2007, 07:16 PM
What was Brasil again? 153? or 29?
People need identity...that's a basic

tee1
16th December 2007, 07:22 PM
keep in mind each extension was suppose to convey/show what type of organization was using the website, I believe initially the thought was .net would be preferred and carried a higher regged fee, developers and companies swarmed to .com, for one it was cheaper, they built websites on .com, branded .com. Users looking for content found it on .com, browsers defaulted to .com, hence .com rules today, .com is recognized worldwide.

anything is possible but what would .1 convey as meaning to the user, I realize the extension may not convey much meaning today to some since anyone can register a .com/.org/.net , but I think to some users it conveys quite alot, even trust in some cases, such as .co.uk or .co.jp. In those cases .uk, cn. .jp users also know they are getting content and apps developed for them. I think IDN.IDN will convey meaning to endusers in their language, but I believe (IMO) .com already conveys meaning. If .biz, .info, ect are ever mapped to IDN.IDN then they may convey meaning as well.:)

Just my opinion, but what we have today is due to folks developing and branding their websites, whether .com, .jp, .cn, .ru ect. JMO

tee1

So let's say the internet domain names started out as xxx.1, xxx.2 and so on. xxx.1 could be the now xxx.com, xxx.2 the now xxx.net, etc. IDNs could have popped in anytime with ддд.1 (Russian) for example. The extension could have been the same all over the world. All keyboards would be required to have the numerals 0-9. Countries/languages that already used the 0-9 numeral set would have an advantage but others would learn quickly. That would eliminate the .es, .jp, .cn and so on. I know it's too late but could this have worked? Am I talking nonsense? Comments, please.

oh ya I want to be #1. you can be #2, but think what you could do with .69

tee1

DomainDialect
16th December 2007, 07:35 PM
What I meant was each language could have a .1, .2, etc. Whether it is Russian, Japanese, Chinese...

keep in mind each extension was suppose to convey/show what type of organization was using the website, I believe initially the thought was .net would be preferred and carried a higher regged fee, developers and companies swarmed to .com, for one it was cheaper, they built websites on .com, branded .com. Users looking for content found it on .com, browsers defaulted to .com, hence .com rules today, .com is recognized worldwide.

anything is possible but what would .1 convey as meaning to the user, I realize the extension may not convey much meaning today to some since anyone can register a .com/.org/.net , but I think to some users it conveys quite alot, even trust in some cases, such as .co.uk or .co.jp. In those cases .uk, cn. .jp users also know they are getting content and apps developed for them. I think IDN.IDN will convey meaning to endusers in their language, but I believe (IMO) .com already conveys meaning. If .biz, .info, ect are ever mapped to IDN.IDN then they may convey meaning as well.:)

Just my opinion, but what we have today is due to folks developing and branding their websites, whether .com, .jp, .cn, .ru ect. JMO

tee1

oh ya I want to be #1. you can be #2, but think what you could do with .69

tee1
Actually my thought was mountain.com would have been mountain.1 in ASCII, mountain.net would have been mountain.2, etc.. núi.com (mountain in Vietnamese) would have been núi.1, núi.net would have been núi.2 and so on.

Noemi
16th December 2007, 07:51 PM
Looks a bit spammy, but if it was always like that I mightve liked it more.

What would country codes be like?

Domain.es.1
or domain.34.1
or domain.34

Rubber Duck
16th December 2007, 08:07 PM

Yes.

DomainDialect
16th December 2007, 08:14 PM
Yes.
Yes it could have worked or yes I'm talking nonsense?

Looks a bit spammy, but if it was always like that I mightve liked it more.

What would country codes be like?

Domain.es.1
or domain.34.1
or domain.34
I guess I'm thinking languages, not countries. They'd all have .1 thru .3 (let's say .com=.1, .net=.2, .org=.3, etc.) and could add more extension dots as needed such as we've done with .ws, .tv, etc.

Rubber Duck
16th December 2007, 08:34 PM
Yes it could have worked or yes I'm talking nonsense?

I guess I'm thinking languages, not countries. They'd all have .1 thru .3 (let's say .com=.1, .net=.2, .org=.3, etc.) and could add more extension dots as needed such as we've done with .ws, .tv, etc.

Yes, you are talking nonsense.