17th December 2007, 10:19 PM
what's the general consensus on the order of value....for example:

Städte.de
Städte.com
Stadte.de
Stadte.com
cities.de

thanx for the input.

The value order is exactly like you put it, except for the misspellings. When you don't use an umlaut over ä, it becomes ae:

staedte.de

Also, umlauts are not accents.

vexxball
17th December 2007, 11:57 PM
The value order is exactly like you put it, except for the misspellings. When you don't use an umlaut over ä, it becomes ae:

staedte.de

Also, umlauts are not accents.

Thanx much for the input...yes, I know umlauts are not technically accents [I was generalizing]and that removing them becomes ae, but that's just an alternate way of regging the name.

German is an odd case, compared to say, French or Spanish where most would rather have fiance or espanol before fiancé or español.
The spelling doesn't change when an "accent" is removed.

So, you'd put em in this [below] order? I was doubtful about the IDN's being top 2 because I don't see the umlauts in domain names as much as I thought I would. Many times I see the Stadte.com version regged but the Städte.com vesion still avail. I know it's correct with the umlauts, but what versions are best for type-in and what's the best for a developed site?

If you speak German and live in the US without an umlaut on your keyboard, you'd be more likely to type Staedte instead of Stadte I presume....

Städte.de
Städte.com
Staedte.de
Staedte.com
Stadte.de
Stadte.com
cities.de

Neptune
18th December 2007, 01:47 AM
Part of the reason is still the lack of awareness that one can own Städte over Stadte.
In certain situations Stadte has value like you mentioned for those searching for german sites abroad or not on their own keyboards. Overall you are targetting a german speaking audience that is used to typing "Städte" for search so the natural progression is to type that into the broswer, and to brand it as such now that technology allows it.

Personally i would much rather have español over espanol. Especially long term.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=espa%C3%B1ol%2C+espanol&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

jacksonm
18th December 2007, 06:08 AM
So, you'd put em in this [below] order?

Yep.

If you speak German and live in the US without an umlaut on your keyboard, you'd be more likely to type Staedte instead of Stadte I presume....

If you speak german at all, you'd be more likely to type staedte than stadte, regardless of where you live. Stadte is a gross misspelling and can't even be pronounced the same way as staedte - it doesn't pass the radio test.

Germans don't simply leave out umlauts here and there - it changes the sound and meaning of a word, for example it can be the difference between singular and plural in some cases.