PDA

View Full Version : Sedo to Repeat .mobi Auction

jose
18th December 2007, 03:45 AM
According to a post on DomainNameNews.com and a post on NamePros, Sedo will be repeating the recent .mobi auction. In an email to clients, Sedo and the .mobi MTLD decided that the results of the recent auction would be null and void after some technical glitches occurred. As reported here, the initial auction set a sales record for total value of .mobi names sold ($1.5 million) and for the highest sales price for a .mobi name - $616,000 for Music.mobi.

.mobi MTLD and Sedo announced that they will will conduct a new auction at Sedo.com beginning on January 23rd, 2008. Coincidentally, this falls on the same day as the Snapnames/DomainFest live auction in Hollywood, California.

dotworx
18th December 2007, 04:53 AM
i wonder what's the real reason behind this... avoiding potential lawsuit or the winning bidder unable to pay...

touchring
18th December 2007, 05:55 AM
i wonder what's the real reason behind this... avoiding potential lawsuit or the winning bidder unable to pay...

Sedo terms and condition says that they have the right to revoke any name won in the auction under any circumstances.

By revoking the auction completely, they can avoid any claims.

In other words, if you won a name, you cannot claim the name if Sedo revokes the auction.

Wot
18th December 2007, 06:23 AM
Now we all have a chance to buy that keyword.mobi we always wanted. ;)

blackops
18th December 2007, 11:27 AM
Now we all have a chance to buy that keyword.mobi we always wanted. ;)

Lol. I fear the 'hype-machine' will be cranked up once more - wonder what the 'spin' will be this time?...

Rubber Duck
18th December 2007, 11:32 AM
Well it won't be a re-run of the first one.

Either all the publicity will bring out more buyers and more money, or people will have reflected more deeply on the investment value and started to back-track.

Perhaps this is already happening, and perhaps this is why we are having a re-run. Can they get Rick to put another syndicate together? Who knows? We will all just have to wait and see.

tee1
18th December 2007, 01:35 PM
It will be an interesting show. For me if the beauty queen agrees to go to dance with me but doesn't leave with me, I am not asking her to the next dance.

several folks have PAID xx,xxx and not seen anything for. wonder if that money will be credited to their account to ensure they bid again.
not looking good for mtld IMO.
on with the show.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/basic/popcorn.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

tee1

touchring
18th December 2007, 01:49 PM
I thing prices may even be higher if not at least close to it. The world is not short of people with money to throw.

Rubber Duck
18th December 2007, 03:03 PM
I thing prices may even be higher if not at least close to it. The world is not short of people with money to throw.

This part of the World is.

Money only gets thrown where profit is assumed. Assumptions can change.

touchring
18th December 2007, 04:05 PM
Money only gets thrown where profit is assumed.

Not necessary so, i subscribe to the view that people can throw money for the fun of it, or because they got too much money, and for which I'll not participate in anyway.

A lot of what happens in the market can be illogical.

To take for instance, .cn and .gongsi, what is the similiarity and what is the difference that they are current being valued so differently?

They are similar in that China controls both of them through national ISPs. They are different in that one is the country name, the other means company. And shouldn't the one that means company be as valuable?? Shouldn't creditcard.com be as valuable, if not more valuable, than creditcard.cltd?

From the marketing point of view, Credit Card dot company sounds ten times better than Credit Card dot china.

How about ICANN? The chinese control the ISPs.

Rubber Duck
18th December 2007, 06:03 PM
Well, if you can get the rest of domaining World to follow your logic system of course they will be. The bottom line apparently for the rest of us is that dot com and dot cn are sanctioned ICANN extensions and Gongsi isn't.

Does it matter? Well clearly not to you, but seemingly so to the rest of us.

Well could it be a winner? Yes, of course, you simply need to persuade other domainers of the validity of your ideas, and don't let the facts stand in the way, those that have been most successful in pushing dubious extension have scant regard for those!

touchring
19th December 2007, 02:56 AM
Well, if you can get the rest of domaining World to follow your logic system of course they will be. The bottom line apparently for the rest of us is that dot com and dot cn are sanctioned ICANN extensions and Gongsi isn't.

Does it matter? Well clearly not to you, but seemingly so to the rest of us.

Well could it be a winner? Yes, of course, you simply need to persuade other domainers of the validity of your ideas, and don't let the facts stand in the way, those that have been most successful in pushing dubious extension have scant regard for those!

Well, actually, i don't really care if other domainers adopt this idea. I'm discussing this idea to get some feedback.

Of cos, how it will play out for sure, i do not know. I can only speculate. It can go both ways, and nothing is for sure as of now. In fact, nothing in IDN is for sure! LOL.