View Full Version : Must Read: Bulgarian Group Challenges IDN ccTLD Policy

khurtsiya
18th December 2007, 05:11 PM
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2007/12/18/3416813.html

jacksonm
18th December 2007, 05:17 PM
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2007/12/18/3416813.html

Yes, I've read about these guys before.

They've got about a snowball's chance in hell of trying to wrestle the alias away from the .bg registry.

touchring
18th December 2007, 05:26 PM
btw, anyone knows how does dns patches work?

khurtsiya
18th December 2007, 05:33 PM
Hmm... I didn't even know about ccTLD .бг.

jacksonm
18th December 2007, 05:34 PM
btw, anyone knows how does dns patches work?

Simple. By default, DNS resolvers send all queries for what comes after the dot to the root servers and the root servers return the nameservers for that extension. The patch will simply intercept queries for e.g. .xn--foo and send them to the nameservers which these guys are running.

This is about 5 minutes worth of coding to make this patch.

touchring
18th December 2007, 05:39 PM
How about the patch that makes idn resolve even using IE6? I've seen that happen in China for dot CN (apparently only works with some ISP as markits did not get it to work in hangzhou).

I think if we can somehow let ISP patch themselves, it might help, considering that even for US market, one year after AU, only half of IEs are IE7!

jacksonm
18th December 2007, 05:46 PM
How about the patch that makes idn resolve even using IE6? I've seen that happen in China for dot CN (apparently only works with some ISP as markits did not get it to work in hangzhou).

I have heard this before and I don't believe it, at least not like it's told.

IE6 physically does not contain a punycode converter, so it will never send out a DNS query for a non-ascii extension.

Now if they were patching IE6 with a DLL that supports punycode, through a remote exploit, then that's another story. In any case, the browser must support punycode conversion or the DNS lookup will never leave the user's machine.

touchring
18th December 2007, 05:52 PM
I have heard this before and I don't believe it, at least not like it's told.

IE6 physically does not contain a punycode converter, so it will never send out a DNS query for a non-ascii extension.

Now if they were patching IE6 with a DLL that supports punycode, through a remote exploit, then that's another story. In any case, the browser must support punycode conversion or the DNS lookup will never leave the user's machine.

I experienced it myself in China, it's like a redirect, but happens in a split second. It works for idn.cn only.

In other words, idn.cn already works in most of China, whether you are using IE6 or IE7.

jacksonm
18th December 2007, 05:58 PM
I experienced it myself in China, it's like a redirect, but happens in a split second. It works for idn.cn only.

In other words, idn.cn already works in most of China, whether you are using IE6 or IE7.

Do you really believe that an IE6 which doesn't contain a punycode converter can perform DNS lookups for IDNs?

touchring
19th December 2007, 02:45 AM
Do you really believe that an IE6 which doesn't contain a punycode converter can perform DNS lookups for IDNs?

I don't know how it is done, but this might give smoe clues - http://www.verisign.com/information-services/naming-services/internationalized-domain-names/page_001389.html

Within most of China, IDN.cn already works with IE6 or Maxthon.

bwhhisc
19th December 2007, 02:50 AM
Yes, I've read about these guys before.
They've got about a snowball's chance in hell of trying to wrestle the alias away from the .bg registry.
They should put them up for bids as to the best management and incentives. Perhaps it would be in better hands run by Verisign.