PDA

View Full Version : What do these two names mean?

IDNCowboy
1st January 2008, 12:50 AM
セーター ovt: 4615

トレーナー ovt: 14527

Are they used alot?

tee1
1st January 2008, 02:18 AM
セーター ovt: 4615

トレーナー ovt: 14527

Are they used alot?

セーター wiki & Jim Breen say Sweater
sweater (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%BB%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC)
google.jp has 4,790,000 results seems like its used to me.

トレーナー Jim Breen says "trainer" as in athletic trainer
google results 951,000 ??

not sure if this helps, maybe a native speaker can provide more assistance.

tee1

IDNCowboy
1st January 2008, 07:04 AM
セーター wiki & Jim Breen say Sweater
sweater (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%BB%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC)
google.jp has 4,790,000 results seems like its used to me.

トレーナー Jim Breen says "trainer" as in athletic trainer
google results 951,000 ??

not sure if this helps, maybe a native speaker can provide more assistance.

tee1
yikes only 4k ovt for sweaters

guess ppl in japan don't use them :(

thx tee and rhys for your insight

jacksonm
1st January 2008, 10:24 AM
yikes only 4k ovt for sweaters

guess ppl in japan don't use them :(

I think that people in Japan use sweaters as often as anywhere else in the developed world.

Honestly, how many times have you searched for "sweater" ?

I own about 20 sweaters and I swear I've only searched for "sweater" online 1 time. That was the time when one of my favorite old sweaters started to wear out and the retailer didn't carry that type anymore. The sweater was originally a catalog purchase in the mid 90s and they didn't even have a website at the time, but I checked their website last year to try to order another one. After I found out that they didn't have them anymore, I started searching for "Five button sweater" for about half an hour before giving up as I couldn't find another similar one anywhere. Yes, this is the only time in my life that I have searched for "sweater" even though I own about 20 sweaters.

Some things people just don't search for online as they know they can get them anywhere. Or maybe I'm just not your representative sweater consumer...

IDNCowboy
1st January 2008, 04:11 PM
Some things people just don't search for online as they know they can get them anywhere. Or maybe I'm just not your representative sweater consumer...

So people don't shop online for things?? You said in another thread that Asian names will never be worth what their English counterparts are...

Wrong - I once had a english site with very little traffic making thousands/month. I could have sold it for XXX,XXX. It wasn't even a one word or a generic. If I had a japanese generic with little traffic I could also sell for $xxx,xxx. Believe me...

Rubber Duck
1st January 2008, 04:14 PM
It won't be a problem, just as soon as the Japanese get their head around the concept of Direct Navigation.

From some of the commentary here over the last couple of days, you might be forgiven for assuming that will take decades.

So people don't shop online for things?? You said in another thread that Asian names will never be worth what their English counterparts are...

Wrong - I once had a english site with very little traffic making thousands/month. I could have sold it for XXX,XXX. It wasn't even a one word or a generic. If I had a japanese generic with little traffic I could also sell for $xxx,xxx. Believe me...

jacksonm
1st January 2008, 04:24 PM

No, I said that people don't generally shop online for "sweaters". Nice try at taking things out of context when you understand damned well what I said.

I also didn't say that asian names will never be worth what their english counterparts are. Another attempt at taking things out of context. What I said was that they will never shoot unreasonably through the roof because the business culture is different.

Don't try to twist stuff when you understand exactly what I said.

IDNCowboy
1st January 2008, 05:09 PM
What I said was that they will never shoot unreasonably through the roof because the business culture is different.

You're wrong about China... Do you know about how much some lucky phone numbers go for etc? The Chinese are good business people.

jacksonm
1st January 2008, 05:16 PM
You're wrong about China... Do you know about how much some lucky phone numbers go for etc? The Chinese are good business people.

That's an odd case, still out of general context.

I also read about an Iranian who paid 5m usd for a dubai license plate.

http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZAWYA20071108073146/SecIndustries/pagAutomotive

They also seem to have a secondary market for cell phone numbers...

IDNCowboy
1st January 2008, 05:23 PM
That's an odd case, still out of general context.

I also read about an Iranian who paid 5m usd for a dubai license plate.

http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZAWYA20071108073146/SecIndustries/pagAutomotive

They also seem to have a secondary market for cell phone numbers...

What makes you think they won't do the same with domain names? (in their native language)

jacksonm
1st January 2008, 05:32 PM
What makes you think they won't do the same with domain names? (in their native language)

I don't doubt that they will, but that is still out of the general context.

IDNCowboy
1st January 2008, 05:39 PM
I don't doubt that they will, but that is still out of the general context.

So is buying lucky number phone numbers etc

What about one of those lucky number domain .com's that blast has?

touchring
2nd January 2008, 01:19 AM
You said in another thread that Asian names will never be worth what their English counterparts are...

Well probaby not in the short to medium term, but, never say never.

Lunar land prices are doing very well this year. :o

http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKL1723387320071217