PDA

View Full Version : I've had it with Firefox

jacksonm
4th January 2008, 12:58 PM
I have had it with Firefox, it has become an unbelievably slow browser in many situations. I had used Opera here and there a few years ago but never really liked the user interface. The new Opera seems to be very nice (much improved) and it is extremely fast compared to Firefox - fast to open tabs, fast to load pages, just plain fast. None of this whitelisting crap, either!

Ben
4th January 2008, 01:56 PM
Yep, Opera's the best browser around at the moment.

jacksonm
4th January 2008, 02:16 PM
Yep, Opera's the best browser around at the moment.

A few more things I noticed:

1. display of cjk fonts is much clearer
2. urls with unicode characters are displayed properly in all situations

Fka200
4th January 2008, 02:19 PM
Weird, I decided to switch to Opera today as well. I'm done with Firefox acting shitty with me lately. For some reason it's starting to hang and turns black randomly... can't even explain it.

Rubber Duck
4th January 2008, 02:30 PM
Weird, I decided to switch to Opera today as well. I'm done with Firefox acting shitty with me lately. For some reason it's starting to hang and turns black randomly... can't even explain it.

It will be an MS style security update! They usually cause havoc!

rkae
4th January 2008, 02:32 PM
SeaMonkey has been my browser of choice for almost a year I think.
It's like FireFox but it's not a resource hog.
Basically I feel like I'm living in the days of FireFox 1.5 with it, when everthing was fast and smooth.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org

Yes, the default skin is shit but you can download better ones.
Unfortunately, just as FireFox, it has the whitelist IDNs thing. Aside from that I don't have complains.

jacksonm
4th January 2008, 02:39 PM
What else is good?

- speed dial
- page thumbnailing when hovering over tabs
- built in user agent switcher (identify as opera, firefox, internet explorer)

Nice and advanced. Fast. Good bye forever Mozilla and children. Time to start a "spread opera" effort in .fi :-)