PDA

View Full Version : IDN Browsing in Russia

Explorer
6th January 2008, 12:55 PM
Why do Russian IDNs lead the way in traffic? Because the majority of Russian internet users can access IDNs, since IE6, the only browser that doesn't support IDNs, just dipped below 50%.

Where do you see that number 12 months from now? 20's? teens?

Rubber Duck
6th January 2008, 03:14 PM
Why do Russian IDNs lead the way in traffic? Because the majority of Russian internet users can access IDNs, since IE6, the only browser that doesn't support IDNs, just dipped below 50%.

Where do you see that number 12 months from now? 20's? teens?

I think IE6 will disappear shortly. They have just announced IE8 is standards compatible.

My guess is they have just unmothballed the original version of IE7 that was corrupted to ensure that it wasn't bloody compatible.

jacksonm
6th January 2008, 03:19 PM
I think IE6 will disappear shortly. They have just announced IE8 is standards compatible.

My guess is they have just unmothballed the original version of IE7 that was corrupted to ensure that it wasn't bloody compatible.

It isn't in micros~1 interest to produce a fully standards compliant browser. Just look at the strangehold they have managed to achieve with the Japanese and Korean online banking market.

Steve Ballmer said a couple of years ago something to the effect of "implementing standards does not serve our customers, implementing value added features does".

Rubber Duck
6th January 2008, 03:27 PM
It isn't in micros~1 interest to produce a fully standards compliant browser. Just look at the strangehold they have managed to achieve with the Japanese and Korean online banking market.

Steve Ballmer said a couple of years ago something to the effect of "implementing standards does not serve our customers, implementing value added features does".

Yes, but when Opera is threatening to drag them in front of Brussels again, it is almost like Blue Peter, " and look children, here is one we made earlier"!

jacksonm
6th January 2008, 03:54 PM
Yes, but when Opera is threatening to drag them in front of Brussels again, it is almost like Blue Peter, " and look children, here is one we made earlier"!

Collateral damage, cost of doing business, business strategy, etc... That's all these lawsuits are to them. They have yet to have suffered a fine that would hurt them like a speeding ticket hurts your average factory worker.

Rubber Duck
6th January 2008, 03:55 PM
Collateral damage, cost of doing business, business strategy, etc... That's all these lawsuits are to them. They have yet to have suffered a fine that would hurt them like a speeding ticket hurts your average factory worker.

No, but they are getting some very powerful people extremely pissed!