PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo and non-adsense IDNs

rhys
7th January 2008, 01:34 AM
You folks who have Japanese sites or mini-sites up.

1. Do you have any sites that are still ranking in the first 2 pages of yahoo.co.jp?

2. If you do, are you using adsense on that site?

3. If you are not using adsense on that site, are you using another PPC service? Or are you just letting it sit without monetization?

I have a site that was blacklisted by adsense for a TOS violation last year and I have just let it sit there. Funny thing is that I just noticed on google analytics that I have had 800 visits in the past month, mostly from Yahoo. Sure enough I am in the middle of the first page of yahoo results. The site is nothing spectacular and it is a good keyword so I think that adsense is a big part of this problem we have with yahoo relevance algo.

thegenius1
7th January 2008, 01:36 AM
Interesting , i may replace a few sites with just adbrite and see if it makes any difference.

websjapan
7th January 2008, 02:52 AM
the main problem is yahoo not releasing their ppc worldwide.

i hate yahoo. they are very lame in everything they do. this is just another example of their lameness.

however when they do give worldwide account i'll be the first to sign up, but i will have minus expectations about performance and service!

blastfromthepast
7th January 2008, 04:36 AM
I've seen some sites move up recently to page #20 from page #100+ that were on Page #1 before the algorithm shuffle.

I'm thinking of moving away from AdSense, but what then? I've asked a certain PPC feed provider (you get the feed, put it on your own page) to get into international feeds instead of English only, but they were reluctant to do the legwork that NameDrive did a few years ago.

rhys
7th January 2008, 06:02 AM
I've seen some sites move up recently to page #20 from page #100+ that were on Page #1 before the algorithm shuffle.

I'm thinking of moving away from AdSense, but what then? I've asked a certain PPC feed provider (you get the feed, put it on your own page) to get into international feeds instead of English only, but they were reluctant to do the legwork that NameDrive did a few years ago.

Are those sites that moved up using adsense or not Blast?

the main problem is yahoo not releasing their ppc worldwide.

i hate yahoo. they are very lame in everything they do. this is just another example of their lameness.

however when they do give worldwide account i'll be the first to sign up, but i will have minus expectations about performance and service!

I disagree here. We have a perfectly workable ppc solution, but unfortunately we need to workaround yahoo's newfound discrimination against IDNs.

I wouldn't wait for yahoo, they don't plan to open up their ppc platform for small fry publishers like us. Inside source on that one.

touchring
7th January 2008, 06:12 AM
i heard that some ppc providers use yahoo feeds?

zenmarketing
7th January 2008, 06:33 AM
Yes, parked.com uses a yahoo feed for one. Not sure about others, or if there are any who support IDN's?

jacksonm
7th January 2008, 07:26 AM
You folks who have Japanese sites or mini-sites up.

1. Do you have any sites that are still ranking in the first 2 pages of yahoo.co.jp?

2. If you do, are you using adsense on that site?

3. If you are not using adsense on that site, are you using another PPC service? Or are you just letting it sit without monetization?

I have a site that was blacklisted by adsense for a TOS violation last year and I have just let it sit there. Funny thing is that I just noticed on google analytics that I have had 800 visits in the past month, mostly from Yahoo. Sure enough I am in the middle of the first page of yahoo results. The site is nothing spectacular and it is a good keyword so I think that adsense is a big part of this problem we have with yahoo relevance algo.

I have absolutely no doubt that yahoo penalizes ranking when it sees Adsense on a site. I tested it about 5 months ago.

There are ways to prevent yahoo from seeing the adsense (cloaking), but their crawlers use a multiple network blocks and ip addresses. I was recording all of their network blocks and ip ranges for some time, and honestly I had to update the list daily for a few months and I am sure that my list is still incomplete. Googlebot is much simpler in terms of ip detection.

touchring
7th January 2008, 07:35 AM
I have absolutely no doubt that yahoo penalizes ranking when it sees Adsense on a site. I tested it about 5 months ago.

There are ways to prevent yahoo from seeing the adsense (cloaking), but their crawlers use a multiple network blocks and ip addresses. I was recording all of their network blocks and ip ranges for some time, and honestly I had to update the list daily for a few months and I am sure that my list is still incomplete. Googlebot is much simpler in terms of ip detection.

Will iframes work?

jacksonm
7th January 2008, 07:43 AM
Will iframes work?

I didn't test it, but it's simple enough to try. If you see yahoobot fetch the iframe, then you know that they know :-)

I would bet that they aren't that stupid.

touchring
7th January 2008, 08:15 AM
I didn't test it, but it's simple enough to try. If you see yahoobot fetch the iframe, then you know that they know :-)

I would bet that they aren't that stupid.

Difficult to say, Yahoo.com isn't as smart as its bot.

Yahoo adword sucks, can't understand why they can't make a simpler interface. Or maybe they are using the same people that snapname uses! :o