mgrohan
7th January 2008, 11:11 PM
ração

Not 100% on the translation.
Is it:
1. Pet feed?
2. Animal feed (in general)?
3. Fodder?

Also is this term only used in Brazil? Most of the search results are for Brazilian sites.

Thanks.

jose
8th January 2008, 12:27 AM
Yes, animal food, for big animals, not pets. When I was young I used to steal that and give it (pure, without straw) to my favorite horses and cows at my Grandfather's farm. ;) They loved me.

mgrohan
8th January 2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks Jose :)

DomainDialect
8th January 2008, 01:31 AM
I don't know, guys. I keep coming up with "ration" for ração. As to ration or divide up a portion of something. Can someone else confirm this, please?

mgrohan
8th January 2008, 01:38 AM
Jose speaks portuguese, along with google results confirming, i am confident that it is feed related.

What i was unsure was if it referred to
'dry manufactured animal feeds' or fodder (hay/grass/straw grown for animal feed)
or both?

for big animals, not pets.

Bit confused here as the first page of google, is nearly all for pet feeds. Also http://www.racao.com/ is all about pet feeds

jose
8th January 2008, 02:10 AM
We call cat food and dog food, but I guess you could use it for all animal food, as long as it's packed on big bags. Images should speak for itself.

You can also use it on the army, lol. I know I did when I was on the army.

A part of something is porção and not ração.

DomainDialect
8th January 2008, 02:18 AM
We call cat food and dog food, but I guess you could use it for all animal food, as long as it's packed on big bags. Images should speak for itself.

You can also use it on the army, lol. I know I did when I was on the army.

A part of something is porção and not ração.
Thanks for clarifying, jose. I was thinking porção was portion and ração was ration.

blastfromthepast
8th January 2008, 03:48 AM
When I was young I used to steal that and give it (pure, without straw) to my favorite horses and cows at my Grandfather's farm. ;) They loved me.

Are there any goats on the family farm José?

jose
8th January 2008, 04:46 AM
Are there any goats on the family farm José?

Besides you?! LOL