PDA

View Full Version : Consultation on Improving the IDNer's Experience at DNF

Rubber Duck
20th March 2006, 03:33 PM
Adam or DotComGod to many of you, has clearly renewed his commitment to taking DNForum forward into the IDN field. He is looking for ideas on how to effectively do this. Please post and discuss your ideas (in a postive manner), so that we can present DNF with a coherent view of what is required of them.

touchring
20th March 2006, 03:56 PM
Adam or DotComGod to many of you, has clearly renewed his commitment to taking DNForum forward into the IDN field. He is looking for ideas on how to effectively do this. Please post and discuss your ideas (in a postive manner), so that we can present DNF with a coherent view of what is required of them.

I think for idn sales, certain specifications has to be made compulsory, e.g.

1. Language type - japanese, chinese simplified/traditional, cantonese, russian, etc. The recent 2 days, i'm starting to see posts on idn sale that doesn't mention language. You know who you are, i needn't point out. Some people have also starting calling TW OVT, 'Chinese OVT'.

2. Accurate translation - it must be made clear that a domain sold with completely inaccurate translation is void.

And so on....

Rubber Duck
20th March 2006, 04:10 PM
I think for idn sales, certain specifications has to be made compulsory, e.g.

1. Language type - japanese, chinese simplified/traditional, cantonese, russian, etc. The recent 2 days, i'm starting to see posts on idn sale that doesn't mention language. You know who you are, i needn't point out. Some people have also starting calling TW OVT, 'Chinese OVT'.

2. Accurate translation - it must be made clear that a domain sold with completely inaccurate translation is void.

And so on....

So a Sticky at the Top of each Sales SubForums which clearly states the rules of engagement, which may or may not be the same as for other Subforums on the site?

Should this be a Read Only sticky, so no comment on the rules is permitted within the Sticky thread itself?

Who is going to draft the rules?

What should be included?

blastfromthepast
20th March 2006, 04:18 PM
Isn't this subforum for discussion of IDNF not 'that other' domain forum? :p

bwhhisc
20th March 2006, 04:23 PM
They need to address the "notradomainus" type guys that step in on comment theads and start dictating forum rules and being experts on forum decorum and rules of order. IDNs call for new rules so this thread is definately timely.

Noone should be allowed to turn threads from the business at hand, into "this is a personal attack on the seller and should not be allowed". DNF needs to appoint mod's that are experienced in IDNs to take charge and keep order. There are clearly too many sideline commentators and manipulators (ie Richard the self proclaimed jerk) that clearly have no interest in being more than a busy bodys or confrontational. Comments should be on point, or be removed!

Gotta admit though... a LOT of reads on the idn threads, in particular those that turn into mini broohahs! Good publicity and interest generated there too, so maybe not all bad.

bwhhisc
20th March 2006, 04:27 PM
double posted...

Rubber Duck
20th March 2006, 04:31 PM
Isn't this subforum for discussion of IDNF not 'that other' domain forum? :p

Yes, but as there is never going to be a specific subforum on the other forum can we live with this, unless Olney has specific objections in which case he will probaby just move it?

I think this is a good place to put it as at least some of the input is going to be relevant to our our beloved IDNFs.

gammascalper
20th March 2006, 04:52 PM
- Sellers must ALWAYS supply relevant ovt for the language

mkt=br for Portugese
mkt=es for Spanish
mkt=fr for French
mkt=de for German
mkt=kr for Korean
mkt=jp for Japanese
mkt=tw and mkt=hk for Traditional Chinese
Yandex score and mkt=us for Russian
mkt=us for Arabic
mkt=us for Thai

missing any?

- Split the Sales thread

Japanese and Chinese are currently in high demand: split the sales thread to reflect this. As other languages become more popular, further split the sales thread as needed.

- i-dns 'plug-in' domains

These are not IDN and should be placed in another section altogether.

Rubber Duck
20th March 2006, 05:00 PM
- Sellers must always supply relevant ovt for the language

mkt=br for Portugese
mkt=es for Spanish
mkt=fr for French
mkt=de for German
mkt=kr for Korean
mkt=jp for Japanese
mkt=tw and mkt=hk for Traditional Chinese
Yandex score and mkt=us for Russian
mkt=us for Arabic
mkt=us for Thai

missing any?

- Split the Sales thread

Japanese and Chinese are currently in high demand: split the sales thread to reflect this. As other languages become more popular, further split the sales thread as needed.

- i-dns 'plug-in' domains

These are not IDN and should be placed in another section altogether.

We don't have split sales threads on here. Perhaps we should pilot that ideas here first?

My personal view is that Non ICANN should be be under a section that is NON ICANN. I don't specifically have a problem with these domains as long as buyers clearly understand what is they are getting.

gammascalper
20th March 2006, 05:22 PM
We don't have split sales threads on here. Perhaps we should pilot that ideas here first?

DNF is another animal -- there are 10s of sales posted in the IDN sales section to every 1 or 2 here, not to mention the gratuitous bumping that goes on which pushes down new posts.

We could pilot the idea here, but it wouldn't be comparable.

Olney
20th March 2006, 10:00 PM
Letting me exist over there with my signiture without it being erased would be cool.
This thread just might have to be discussed over there.
I'll think about if this is Kosher or not.
I don't mind helping out guys but there's a limit.
I'm not going to develop this site so another site can cacth the biggest sales.
In a few weeks you guys will have another avenue for selling domains.
DNF as posted by a DNF member is for resellers.
You'll have your chance to sell to end users this year.
Let's just say a few little birds told me.
You'll have options guys...

Also if they are interested in developing the IDN market then why doesn't the moderators step in on the sales threads or someone from the staff post a discussion on how to make the experience better. I sure wouldn't just leave everything up to you guys to battle things out yourselves & see who the winner is.

59domain
21st March 2006, 05:03 PM
Interestingly why is a discussion of another forum policy in this forum?

A while back I asked whether DNF is worth (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1555-is-dnforum-worth-it%3F.html) it and it was mostly negative. Yet now this discusion is about proposal for that forum? :confused:

blastfromthepast
22nd March 2006, 02:47 AM
Also if they are interested in developing the IDN market then why doesn't the moderators step in on the sales threads or someone from the staff post a discussion on how to make the experience better. I sure wouldn't just leave everything up to you guys to battle things out yourselves & see who the winner is.

Various comments from the 'google' in japanese sales thread were deleted:

http://www.dnforum.com/f298/net-google-net-japanese-thread-139804.html

Pretty low to be selling 'google' domains at all in my opinion, and when mods other 'the other' forum support this kind of activity it reflects poorly on the whole site.