PDA

View Full Version : госдума.com - State Duma

khurtsiya
21st January 2008, 11:09 PM
Google Dictionary says
Госдума
1. f. State Duma (lower house of the Russian parliament).

http://www.topicnews.net/pictures/15234.gif

yandex.wordstat.ru - 26869

Is it worth smth?

Official site - http://www.duma.gov.ru/

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sunny
9th February 2008, 02:54 PM
госдума is a very common abbreviation, so I think u can develop an excellent website with this. However .com is not the best choice for this..
Make sure u register госдума.рф, when it becomes available.

9th February 2008, 03:06 PM
Welcome to idnforums Sanakreon.

Can you give us a more detailed view of Russian domains .com and possibly .ком later on 'vs' .рф?
Also how natives feel towards cyrillic domains in general?

Thanks,
Моше.

glow
9th February 2008, 03:21 PM
Госдума.com
Can't appraise in digits but I think it's great political domain!
Nice reg!

khurtsiya
9th February 2008, 03:28 PM
Welcome to forums and thanks for comment, Sanakreon :)

glownames и тебе спасибо ;)

Sunny
9th February 2008, 04:27 PM
Welcome to idnforums Sanakreon.

Can you give us a more detailed view of Russian domains .com and possibly .ком later on 'vs' .рф?
Also how natives feel towards cyrillic domains in general?

Thanks,
Моше.

Since there are very few russian sites that use russian transliterated domains in .com TLD( in .ru TLD they are used all the time), I think that Russian people are just not used to that. In fact a russian word(whether transliterated or IDN) with .com TLD creates some sort of discomfort for russian people. This can be proved by a fact that although sites of the form transliterated_russian_word.com were available for a very long time already, very few of them(if any) had any success.
Thus, .ru brand for native russian words is much stronger in russia than .com.

And since .ком correlates to .com, and .ru to .рф, the same analogy is possible here, which implies that .рф domains will be more preferred for IDNs, than .ком.

This is the major trend, however an anti-trend to this exists, which is due to the fact, that IDN.com sites are already available, while IDN.ru are not.
In the long run, this will create an association between .com and IDNs, and later .ком.

My opinion on this, is that anti-trend will be slowed by the still great inertia of ascii domains, and when IDN idea will become truly popular, .рф extension will already be there to grab most of the market.

And of course much depends on the word itself, like in the case of госдума the .рф is much better since the meaning of the domain is strongly bonded to Russia.