View Full Version : Dot-ir on Firefox IDN White-list

khurtsiya
26th January 2008, 07:58 PM
http://zwnj.org/2008/01/ir-on-firefox-20-30.html

Fka200
26th January 2008, 08:37 PM
wtf?

Dot-Iran (‏.ایران)

Persian domain names (IDNs) are only allowed under dot-iran (‏.ایران). The rules and restrictions of Persian domains names are as below.

jacksonm
26th January 2008, 08:39 PM
wtf?

Dot-Iran (‏.ایران)

Persian domain names (IDNs) are only allowed under dot-iran (‏.ایران). The rules and restrictions of Persian domains names are as below.

It just means that the dot IR ccTLD has been added to firefox's whitelist. So now, ff will display IDN.ir in unicode instead of punycode.

Actually, most ccTLDs which use UTF8 domain names are whitelisted.

Fka200
26th January 2008, 10:45 PM
No, it seems like there's IDN.IDN for Iran.

Muhammad Mustafa
26th January 2008, 10:48 PM
It just means that the dot IR ccTLD has been added to firefox's whitelist. So now, ff will display IDN.ir in unicode instead of punycode.

Actually, most ccTLDs which use UTF8 domain names are whitelisted.

I assume Sammy asking about dot Iran (.ايران) ext, this may clear it:
You can add ".ir” to the Persian domain and use it normally. For example if you want to resolve "مثال.ایران", first enter "مثال.ایران", then change to Latin keyboard and add ".ir". In most operating systems the result will look as "مثال.ایران.ir".
there's NO dot-Iran, it's all .ir

Drewbert
27th January 2008, 01:10 AM
I think they're allowing IDN's under .ایران.ir (iran.ir) and expecting to move them to .ایران once they are awarded that ccTLD.

Rubber Duck
27th January 2008, 06:24 AM
Unlike Russian, there is no phishing problem with Farsi.

If they are accepting IDN registrations on a Right to Left script like this then there must be an assumption of Aliasing, as indeed there almost has to be with Dot Com for Arabic.

Drewbert
27th January 2008, 08:15 AM
No, I disagree.

They're setting up a completely different IDN namespace. Currently it's sitting in a subdomain of .ir

When their ccTLD gets awarded a Farsi equivalent, they'll be moving all the IDN domains under that subdomain into their new IDN ccTLD - it will be totally seperate from the ASCII .ir

Rubber Duck
27th January 2008, 08:28 AM
No, I disagree.

They're setting up a completely different IDN namespace. Currently it's sitting in a subdomain of .ir

When their ccTLD gets awarded a Farsi equivalent, they'll be moving all the IDN domains under that subdomain into their new IDN ccTLD - it will be totally seperate from the ASCII .ir

Well unless you have a policy statement, I would guess that either is possible. Even if they move to a new name space, it doesn't mean that the two cannot be linked. I guess the Chinese are already doing something similar with dot CN.

Drewbert
27th January 2008, 09:09 AM
Well unless you have a policy statement, I would guess that either is possible. Even if they move to a new name space, it doesn't mean that the two cannot be linked. I guess the Chinese are already doing something similar with dot CN.

https://www.nic.ir/IDN

Dot-IR (.ir)

IDNs are not allowed under dot-ir (.ir) TLD. Domain names under dot-ir contain ASCII characters only.

Dot-Iran (‏.ایران)

Doesn't get much clearer than that. COMPLETELY SEPARATE NAMESPACES

Muhammad Mustafa
27th January 2008, 11:46 AM
I think they're allowing IDN's under .ایران.ir (iran.ir) and expecting to move them to .ایران once they are awarded that ccTLD.

Any proofs?
anyway, did any of you took a look at the reserved names?? almost most of good ones are reserved!

They're setting up a completely different IDN namespace.
totally agree