PDA

View Full Version : FORTUNE: Are domain names recession-proof?

jose
28th January 2008, 10:05 AM
Does that mean we should all run out and buy domain names and pack ‘em with ads? Not so fast. Kevin Heisler, the executive editor of Search Engine Watch, has studied the domain world and concludes that when you look at the millions of domain names out there trying to make money from pay-per-click ads, the return on investment from straightforward paid search is better. The top tier domain names are the exception, he says, not the rule. And that explains why some domain names easily fetch six and seven figure sums, even in a down market.

Here: http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/01/25/are-domain-names-recession-proof/

touchring
28th January 2008, 10:44 AM
Domains are more scared of Google than recession. If Google stops supplying ads to domains...

bwhhisc
28th January 2008, 11:12 AM
If Google stops supplying ads to domains...
In this scenerio Google would be the one to take the BIGGEST loss so don't count on that happening.

davnin
28th January 2008, 11:26 AM
In this scenerio Google would be the one to take the BIGGEST loss so don't count on that happening.

i don't know... maybe not.
For domainers it's very easy to build a little webpage with a small text and to insert Adsense ADV.
We can buy a reseller hosting plan and build "infinite" websites for a few bucks each year.

In this scenario surely the parking companies will have the biggest loss.

npcomplete
28th January 2008, 05:43 PM

I totally agree with this. I monetize almost exclusively through Fabulous on my parked ascii domains (with some at DomainSponsor). This pays for all my reg fees for a large portolio plus a good profit. Fabulous depends on google feeds, so it is no surprise that a lot of my domains show up on the front page of google for keyword searches producing excellent traffic. It has been that way for a long time. Google didn't get big by being stupid. Fabulous and Google are in business and cooperate heavily with each other as business partners. By giving sites with high paying ppc preferred placement, then I make money, Fabulous makes money, Google makes money, and my advertisers make money. OTOH, it is almost impossible to get good positioning with DomainSponsor since they are apparently not playing the game. You might get good placement at DS for a few months until Google discovers that your domain is no longer parked with Fabulous - then your positioning takes a nosedive.

Why would a company like google cut out a major source of revenue? It is all just business. Sure it would be easy to develop adsense sites if needed (I already do several), but I am not remotely worried about losing the google feed for my parked pages.

Marc