PDA

View Full Version : IDN (.com) for places in Japan

Edwin
23rd November 2005, 10:32 PM
If you have IDN (.com form only i.e. no .net, .jp etc.) for places in Japan, and you are looking to make a few $$, let me know - I just might be interested. Depends on the place, of course...

Olney
24th November 2005, 01:51 AM
Would that be cash, paypal, or furikomi???

These are the ones I have

xn--ehqt31hb0r.com (三重県.com) Mie ken : 65689OVTjp
xn--nit492du4v.com (岐阜県.com) Gifu Ken : 53347OVTjp
xn--efvn9spmg.com (新潟県.com)Niigataken : 51868OVTjp
xn--1lq710bp61b.com (京都府.com) Kyoto Fu : 36424OVTjp

Kyoto fu is the only state extention that the name only is more popularly searched...
These were all drops.

Rubber Duck
24th November 2005, 12:16 PM
If you have IDN (.com form only i.e. no .net, .jp etc.) for places in Japan, and you are looking to make a few $$, let me know - I just might be interested. Depends on the place, of course...

What are you interested in Regions, Cities or Prefectures?

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Edwin
24th November 2005, 02:03 PM
I'd rather not be too specific (unless and until I see something I like) as I (hopefully understandably) don't want to tip my hand to the specific niche I'm looking at since I am considering various registration options in that niche. So if you've got a domain that qualifies as a "place" anywhere in Japan, I potentially might be interested, though in practice probably 99% of stuff will be off-topic.

Sorry if that's an annoying way to do it - not meant to inconvenience anyone. But if I run up the flag and say "large market towns in the north of England" (to use a totally dissimilar geographic example) then I've potentially created a whole lot more competition for myself.

Olney
24th November 2005, 02:25 PM
Ok understood if interested just pm me.

I really should work on getting the portfolio site up.

I think it would help out a lot.
Hopefully I could put it up next month a a beta.

Edwin
24th December 2005, 01:37 PM
Still open to more suggestions!

Rubber Duck
24th December 2005, 01:59 PM
Still open to more suggestions!

18 Japanese cities changed hands with the city sign yesterday.

Edwin
24th December 2005, 02:06 PM
Yes, I was fully aware of that, but they didn't interest me. A bargain for the buyer - my pockets are much deeper than $45/name for the right name(s).

touchring
24th December 2005, 02:24 PM
Have you first checked the price of the right name? :D

sarcle
24th December 2005, 03:22 PM
You might have a look at these.

黒川温泉.com (Kurokawa hot spring)
城崎温泉.com (Kinosaki hot spring)
浅間温泉.com (Asama hot spring)

bwhhisc
25th December 2005, 04:07 AM
Just a note on the city sign...we were the buyers of the 18 Japanese cities. The city signs were definately a red flag to us going in...being new to Japanese names. We had a few of our staff at work do the research, and found existing city and tourist websites using this as commonplace throughout Japan. I can't say it is equal to a Japanese domain name without, but it was definately a common practice as evidenced by our searches.

gammascalper
25th December 2005, 04:39 AM
Just a note on the city sign...we were the buyers of the 18 Japanese cities. The city signs were definately a red flag to us going in...being new to Japanese names. We had a few of our staff at work do the research, and found existing city and tourist websites using this as commonplace throughout Japan. I can't say it is equal to a Japanese domain name without, but it was definately a common practice as evidenced by our searches.

Yes, you're right. It's not the case with Chinese cities, but it is indeed the case with Japanese cities and prefectures. There are only a few counter-examples, which tend to be the much larger cities, like Tokyo or Osaka.

Prefectures are also referred to as 'prefecture'-'ken'.

Edwin
25th December 2005, 09:21 PM
Have you first checked the price of the right name?   :D

My budget is pretty flexible, up to $x,xxx for the right name. Still haven't seen what I'm looking for, yet.

touchring
26th December 2005, 07:00 AM
Have you first checked the price of the right name?   :D

My budget is pretty flexible, up to $x,xxx for the right name. Still haven't seen what I'm looking for, yet.

There is a company TDC that registered dozens of 1st tier Japanese and Chinese domains like tokyo.com, creditcards.com in Japanese, back in year 2000 when it costs $70 a year to reserve a domain.

You can find contact via WHOIS.

Dave and Olney also got some good domains.

Rubber Duck
26th December 2005, 09:33 AM
Have you first checked the price of the right name? :D

There is a company TDC that registered dozens of 1st tier Japanese and Chinese domains like tokyo.com, creditcards.com in Japanese, back in year 2000 when it costs $70 a year to reserve a domain.

You can find contact via WHOIS.

Dave and Olney also got some good domains.

Yes, these guys got in 5 years ago. Long before I had even heard about the possibility of IDN. Smart guys, but I don't think they will be selling anytime soon!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
26th December 2005, 04:53 PM
Probably people working or related to people working at Verisign/Icann. They probably cherry picked and locked onto most of the best names in 2000.

Rubber Duck
26th December 2005, 06:42 PM
Probably people working or related to people working at Verisign/Icann. They probably cherry picked and locked onto most of the best names in 2000.

Yes, I think you are absolutely correct. It will be people that were working on the system that had the inside information.

Good luck to them! They have devised something incredibly powerful that will benefit a great number of people, not just domainers.

The obvious deduction is that they knew then what these would be worth eventually, not just now. They are not going to sell out now unless someone is prepared to dig really deep and I think we are talking at least 5 figures maybe 6. Even then they may not sell. Would you sell the IDN for Tokyo in dot com? I think not!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

gammascalper
27th December 2005, 04:30 AM
I also noticed that many of the prime domains were registered in 2000. I think touchring is probably right about the registrations by those in-the-know.

I've contacted one domainer not on these boards with regard to a nice city name and he's not selling for under 5 figures. The negotiation stopped right there ;)

Rubber Duck
27th December 2005, 05:36 AM
I also noticed that many of the prime domains were registered in 2000. I think touchring is probably right about the registrations by those in-the-know.

I've contacted one domainer not on these boards with regard to a nice city name and he's not selling for under 5 figures. The negotiation stopped right there ;)

Yes, but just because you wouldn't meet his price, it does not mean that he is wrong.

It may well be that in 12 months he can more than justify that kind of range on the earnings from traffic.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

touchring
27th December 2005, 09:29 AM

I've contacted one domainer not on these boards with regard to a nice city name and he's not selling for under 5 figures. The negotiation stopped right there  ;)

Yes, but just because you wouldn't meet his price, it does not mean that he is wrong.

It may well be that in 12 months he can more than justify that kind of range on the earnings from traffic.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

A lot of people want to sell at future price, e.g. 5 years later price, which isn't wrong, since they are prepared to hold another 5 years. So what you need to do is find someone who needs to sell immediately, e.g. to fund a hospital operation, etc.

Rubber Duck
27th December 2005, 09:35 AM

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

A lot of people want to sell at future price, e.g. 5 years later price, which isn't wrong, since they are prepared to hold another 5 years. So what you need to do is find someone who needs to sell immediately, e.g. to fund a hospital operation, etc.

Well, the traditional merchant sells when the boat lands. I am expecting it to dock much sooner than 5 years. Few are going to stump up serious prices until it has come around the headland.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

gammascalper
27th December 2005, 09:09 PM
no msg

javago
3rd May 2006, 03:06 PM
Here are 2 key Single Character Japanese IDN's

豊.com-- (xn--qh3a.com)
rich;bountiful; excellent; rich

畳.com-- (xn--opy.com)
tatami

each is for sale 10K per

or how about TAIPEI.com

This is selling for 20K

台北.com - TAIPEI.com IDN is for sale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am selling the IDN .com version of the city TAIPEI

Please send your best offers to idn@todaygo.com.

Note: Toykyo.net recently sold for 10K on one of the posts.

Here is the puny-code: xn--djrpt.com

blastfromthepast
3rd May 2006, 03:10 PM
Yes, I think you are absolutely correct. It will be people that were working on the system that had the inside information.

I remember trying to reg top countries and cities on the 1st day of the testbed. The best were gone when I got to it around 10:00am EST.

daem0n
18th May 2006, 09:38 AM
I have

代々木公園.com

which is Yoyogi Park. A very popular place for teenagers to hang out and fashion to be on display.

Olney
18th May 2006, 09:43 AM
This is an extremely Old thread...
I think I'm going to start locking old wanted threads...

Rubber Duck
18th May 2006, 10:07 AM
This is an extremely Old thread...
I think I'm going to start locking old wanted threads...

Actually, I would be all for that. I think it might even be appropriate to bin them. We might even consider doing a similar thing with sales and appraisal threads. It would save an awful lot of disk space at your end. Discussion threads may hold information that has a longer shelf life, but I am not sure these should be regarded as sacrosanct either.

bramiozo
18th May 2006, 10:12 AM
Agree, maybe you can introduce a standard expiration duration, you could automate it easily.

bwhhisc
18th May 2006, 12:40 PM
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

It's the guy selling TAIPEI.com a-g-a-i-n! Nice guy, but c'mon Javago, you have now pushed that sale onto a half dozen threads now, plus at least 2 sales threads, and another one that I know got deleted by the mod! And now adding it to threads from November of last year....whats up with that?

Olney
18th May 2006, 01:23 PM
He bumped it last week the guy with Yoyogi Koen bumped it up today...

daem0n
18th May 2006, 06:33 PM
Sorry guys, didn't realize I was adding to a "junked" thread. It is very old.

touchring
18th May 2006, 06:47 PM
It's better just to lock old threads - we still need to refer to such threads to compare the changes.

ca191s
18th May 2006, 07:52 PM
长崎県.com xn--8lTu81DdrV - $500 - Simplified Chinese

ENOM/PUSH

e-gold/PP

CB1000SF@GMAIL.COM

bwhhisc
18th May 2006, 08:05 PM
长崎県.com xn--8lTu81DdrV - $500 - Simplified Chinese
ENOM/PUSH
CB1000SF@GMAIL.COM

长崎県- The last symbol: 県 looks like "prefecture" in Japanese to me. Simplified Chinese as well??

IDNCowboy
18th May 2006, 08:15 PM
长崎県- The last symbol: 県 looks like "prefecture" in Japanese to me. Simplified Chinese as well??
looks like the nagasaki part is how they say it in china... however the last part is japanese......... :(

bwhhisc
18th May 2006, 08:58 PM
looks like the nagasaki part is how they say it in china... however the last part is japanese......... :(

Now this IS baffling... 长崎県 gets "9,700" google hits, but does seem to be 2/3 Chinese, 1/3 Japanese.

http://www.google.cn/search?hl=zh-CN&q=%22%E9%95%BF%E5%B4%8E%E7%9C%8C%22&btnG=%E6%90%9C%E7%B4%A2&meta=

blastfromthepast
18th May 2006, 10:07 PM
Now this IS baffling... 长崎県 gets "9,700" google hits, but does seem to be 2/3 Chinese, 1/3 Japanese.

http://www.google.cn/search?hl=zh-CN&q=%22%E9%95%BF%E5%B4%8E%E7%9C%8C%22&btnG=%E6%90%9C%E7%B4%A2&meta=

Google matches variants when searching.