PDA

View Full Version : India and Egypt (who cut the cable?)

phio
30th January 2008, 05:25 PM
India and Egypt are affected by cut cable...

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-31677820080130

Rubber Duck
30th January 2008, 05:32 PM
Has Alpha been fishing with dynamite again?

Fka200
30th January 2008, 06:19 PM
Has Alpha been fishing with dynamite again?

LOOOOOOOOL

g
30th January 2008, 06:35 PM
it is frustrating to use that old dialup again ..

I have tried many numbers before I reach a working one

it is 07777777 :)

what a nightmare ? I have suffered withdrawal symptoms for like 12 hours

I needed to log in to idnforums quickly before I hit someone :)

Now I am relaxed with this cocaine shot thread .....lol

Muhammad Mustafa
30th January 2008, 10:36 PM
http://www.masrawy.com/News/Egypt/Politics/2008/January/30/netdisconnection.aspx
government says it will take them up to 1 week to get it fully functional :eek:
g, if you have a Link line it should works somehow good now, my TE DATA line is a peace of shit, I have another line from Link which works a little good now, at least made me able to log in IDNF :)

g
31st January 2008, 12:23 AM
http://www.masrawy.com/News/Egypt/Politics/2008/January/30/netdisconnection.aspx
government says it will take them up to 1 week to get it fully functional :eek:
g, if you have a Link line it should works somehow good now, my TE DATA line is a peace of shit, I have another line from Link which works a little good now, at least made me able to log in IDNF :)

I am link but I am still not able to load any page

their support phone line 16333 seems to be flooded with tons of calls ... it is busy all of the time with no answering machine

hope they can fix it soon

touchring
1st February 2008, 04:18 AM
This will be very serious for indians outsourcers.

Last time when taiwan's cables got cut, China users couldn't access US sites properly for like 3 months! First month was almost no access.

Singapore got its access back in 2 weeks though. :o

Just shows how vulnerable the internet based outsourcing model is!

g
1st February 2008, 10:45 AM
we also have many egyptian outsourcers companies but not much like india

another thing is the stock markets ...

I hope they can fix it soon

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 10:51 AM
we also have many egyptian outsourcers companies but not much like india

another thing is the stock markets ...

I hope they can fix it soon

Well, if the stock markets (or any other critical business) doesn't have satellite internet backup then I don't feel sorry for them.

You know, all data centers have backup power generators. What good is powering up your servers if they aren't connected because of cable cuts?

Muhammad Mustafa
1st February 2008, 01:13 PM
g, don't try any call center now, not link or others they all down! Tarek Kamel said today all call centers are now work (but I don't think so, even if they are works now, NOT with their fully capacity), Ahram's today said that most banks, hospitals, stock market ..etc are using fax, phone and like instead of Internet to finish their work. But we are not alone, based on Tarek Kamel and Eng. Basheer also KSA, Kuwait, Yemen, Bahrain and other countries in ME specially in Gulf area affected by this cut! If your line isn't working a little good now, then your only hope is 3G, get a Data Sim from Vodafone and a 3G card use it to access Internet with your lab, it works greaaaat, and pay for a higher package let's say 1G, my package is 50M and I used 40M of Feb quota in the previous hours, called them and asked to higher it and they said it will take them 10-14 days to do so!! :( If the connection to back normally in 3 months like in India as touchring said then I think I am up! others too like me, a lot of business have been affected by this cut, I know more more than one of Forex traders who told me they loses exceeds thousands of dollars in the first 6-10 hours of the cut, I have my loses too on my Freelance and outsourcing work, it's my worst days ever! MJ, you can't even imagine how do things works in Egypt, I asked a Satellite company yesterday for a line they said OK, based on the current conditions you will get your's working in about 5-10 days! how come in the current situation?? I told them I need it in max 48hr it's for a company NOT for an individual and the business is down, he said what can I do! So, even if they don't have a backup connection and even wanted to have one fast now to get their business work, in Egypt, it's not easy to get it in as fast as they want!

Rubber Duck
1st February 2008, 06:50 PM
Two breaches in different Oceans. Sounds Coordinated to me! Caused by dragging anchors. I think your average terrorist could manage that?