PDA

View Full Version : About Installing Internet Explorer 7 (IE7)

ayahhelmy
31st January 2008, 03:51 AM
I'm managing some internet cafes here and we have 68 computers here. Some users want IE7 as a replacement of IE6. When I suggest Firefox or Opera or Avant for tab browsing (I already installed them), they refuse because they have been so familiar with IE.

I said OK and started downloading the newest version of IE7.

But the problem is, installation always takes very long time. At installation stage, it checks for updates. And after the new IE icon appears on desktop and it's time to run it for the first time, it always goes to microsoft website, only for first time configuration.

Imagine !! I have to do that for all of those 68 computers !

My questions are :

1. Is there any way to cut the updates (at installation stage) ?
2. Can I configure it at the first time without going to microsoft website ?

or...

3. IE6 was configured well. Can IE7 be installed just like other browsers and then using setting from IE6 without asking anymore ?

Your answers and responses are very usefull for me. Thank You.

blastfromthepast
31st January 2008, 04:33 AM
Imagine !! I have to do that for all of those 68 computers !

Use automated tools. Image a master disk. Then distribute copy the images instead of updating by hand.

lipps
12th February 2008, 06:02 PM
Use a standard netowrk install and push the install to each computer on startup via script

mulligan
12th February 2008, 07:48 PM
Are you guys talking to a bot?

jacksonm
12th February 2008, 08:04 PM
Are you guys talking to a bot?

no links, posted in the correct forum, etc. doesn't seem like a bot. but who knows.

lipps
12th February 2008, 08:25 PM
I think if he were a bot he would know how to set up a network install to push the browser to the systems.