PDA

View Full Version : MS aiming for Yahoo!

mulligan
1st February 2008, 11:27 AM
Sheesh!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7222114.stm

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 11:29 AM
Sheesh!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7222114.stm

No wonder, MS has failed miserably trying to implement search on their own. Google is eating MS' lunch and dessert, too.

"Ultimately this corporate marriage was forced by the rise of Google, which has grown into a serious competitor for both Microsoft as a software company and Yahoo as an internet portal," said Tim Weber, business editor of the BBC News website.

"It is a shotgun marriage, but the person holding the shotgun is Google."

bwhhisc
1st February 2008, 11:36 AM
No wonder, MS has failed miserably trying to implement search on their own. Google is eating MS' lunch and dessert, too. .
MS worldwide domination of Windows browser software + ownership of Yahoo= major blow to Google's dominance for the long run.
Smart business strategy from this perspective.

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 11:43 AM
MS worldwide domination of Windows browser software + ownership of Yahoo= major blow to Google's dominance for the long run.
Smart business strategy from this perspective.

I wonder if IE8 will resolve google.com anymore? :-)

"OOPS, that was a bug in our software. The fix should be available in a year or two as we need time to test it..."

bwhhisc
1st February 2008, 11:47 AM
QUOTE: Google shares fell $46.55, or 8.3 percent, to $517.95 in pre-market trading.

Do the math on how much money 8% represents.... :o

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 12:02 PM
QUOTE: Google shares fell $46.55, or 8.3 percent, to $517.95 in pre-market trading.

Do the math on how much money 8% represents.... :o

Speculators: The crowd is usually long, the crowd is usually wrong.

Google is putting the stone into their sling right about now... The end result will be the giant having his head cut off with his own sword.

bwhhisc
1st February 2008, 12:14 PM
Speculators: The crowd is usually long, the crowd is usually wrong. Google is putting the stone into their sling right about now... The end result will be the giant having his head cut off with his own sword. .

By controlling the browser MS may make Google may look like 2 pieces of bread with no meat or cheese to go in the middle!

rkae
1st February 2008, 01:04 PM
Microsoft and Yahoo both failed to compete with Google in the field of search engine innovation. What good is if they combine forces? Trying to fight google with sheer size without brains? It's laughable.
Yahoo's talent will not be pleased either. A lot of them might just quit and run to some better place.. say, Google.

What will Microsoft exactly do, bwhhisc? Forbid IE users from accessing google.com? Won't happen.

It's all good news for google.

touchring
1st February 2008, 01:05 PM
damn, i was thinking of this only 6 mths ago, was waiting for yahoo price to come down more!! Nuts me!

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 01:06 PM
damn, i was thinking of this only 6 mths ago, was waiting for yahoo price to come down more!! Nuts me!

Right now is a great time to buy google stock if you've been waiting.

touchring
1st February 2008, 01:09 PM
Right now is a great time to buy google stock if you've been waiting.

No, i mean Yahoo, it's a no brainer m$ will bid for it! I just don't know what's a good price to enter.

btw, not sure what this means for domainers. bill gate seems to hate domainers (a.k.a cybersquatters), doesn't he?

jose
1st February 2008, 01:21 PM
10min to open. Goog down 6% Yhoo up 50%

LOL -> http://www.moneycontrol.com/cnbctv18/live_video_audio/live_videohigh.php

bwhhisc
1st February 2008, 01:43 PM
What will Microsoft exactly do, bwhhisc? Forbid IE users from accessing google.com? Won't happen.
Unless you set your preference, MS will land you onto their "Yahoo" page as a default. The Yahoo home page is a pretty good all around information portal and tens of millions use that as their preferred home page so there are some nice vertical integrations for MS here.

It's all good news for google.
I would not be so quick on that note!

jose
1st February 2008, 02:12 PM
Why you should buy GOOG today:

http://www.techcrunch.com/wp-content/msftyhoo-table.png

GOOG migh touch positive by mid session and then deep red end of day or touch positive in the end of session. If thats the case, you have an entering point signal.

khurtsiya
1st February 2008, 02:22 PM
Google is invincible.

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 03:34 PM
Google is invincible.

MS is 4 times the size of Google, but their revenue isn't even twice that of Google. And you can see as Google took so little profit, they are heavily investing in growing the company. Even with MSN and Yahoo search combined, they would still be at half Google's share. It doesn't take a genius to recognize that Google is already kicking the tar out of MS and that the momentum is irreversible at this point. MS lost their chance to conquer Google 7-8 years ago when they ignored them - the seal of their fate. The words of the great Ghandi come to mind again...

This acquisition attempt is Micros~1's struggle for a handhold as they keep slipping off the cliff. Google is about to stomp on their hands again, maybe even smack them with a hammer. Go Google!

Fka200
1st February 2008, 03:38 PM
Why you should buy GOOG today:

http://www.techcrunch.com/wp-content/msftyhoo-table.png

GOOG migh touch positive by mid session and then deep red end of day or touch positive in the end of session. If thats the case, you have an entering point signal.

I've been wanting Google stock for ages now. Just can't afford it! I would definitely buy right now if I had the chance.

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 03:41 PM
I've been wanting Google stock for ages now. Just can't afford it! I would definitely buy right now if I had the chance.

They really should split the stock 10-1 so the average Joe can invest. When they do decide to split, this will be the strategic move that slams Microsoft.

jose
1st February 2008, 04:07 PM
I bought at 110 and autosold at 100. (10% avoid big losses rule)
Have been waiting to enter since then.
I must be one the dumbest GOOG traders in the world.

bwhhisc
1st February 2008, 07:51 PM
I bought at 110 and autosold at 100. (10% avoid big losses rule)
Have been waiting to enter since then. I must be one the dumbest GOOG traders in the world.
Remember about mid 2006 when there was a discussion thread on this forum on how Google was about to crash and burn. LOL

MS is 4 times the size of Google, but their revenue isn't even twice that of Google.
MS revenue is actually 3 times larger, profits 4 times larger. $16 Billion Google revenue vs. $ 58 Billion Microsoft revenue.

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 08:29 PM
MS revenue is actually 3 times larger, profits 4 times larger. $16 Billion Google revenue vs. $ 58 Billion Microsoft revenue.

Sorry, I meant market cap. A "mindo" instead of a "typo".

Rubber Duck
1st February 2008, 08:36 PM
Whatever, Bill is going to piss a Ship Load of money down the sink, and it won't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome. :p

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 08:43 PM
Whatever, Bill is going to piss a Ship Load of money down the sink, and it won't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome. :p

Exactly my thoughts.

rhys
1st February 2008, 09:29 PM
Speculators: The crowd is usually long, the crowd is usually wrong.

Google is putting the stone into their sling right about now... The end result will be the giant having his head cut off with his own sword.

Let's be clear. The "Giant" is google and MS is "David" obviously. The evil empire must be taken down.

clipper
1st February 2008, 09:45 PM
Is MS going to wrap their heads around the fact that the web is global these days, i.e. opening up the YPN and SearchMarketing to accept all traffic (YPN is currently US-only) and targeting all markets (YSM requires different accounts to advertise in different markets)?

If not, Google will remain the ad king:

Fourth-quarter revenue totaled $4.83 billion, a 51 percent improvement over $3.21 billion in the previous year.

In a more important measure to investors, Google retained $3.39 billion in revenue after paying fees to the thousands of Web sites in the online advertising network that fuels its profits.Source: AP (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080131/earns_google.html?.v=19)

Opening up YPN to international publishers and combining YSM's individual markets would be the only thing that could threaten G's dominance of the online advertising market.

Anyone here think MS would do that?

websjapan
1st February 2008, 09:51 PM
yahoo is a totally retarded company with no idea of how to run a global business - ms is full of bureaucrats stuck in a corporate prison.

put the two together and you just get a bigger mess.

still, should be fun to watch them totally destroy themselves while google continues to advance because of its modern practices.

some nice comments here

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/02/01/podcast_special_microsoft_and_yahoo.html

bwhhisc
1st February 2008, 09:58 PM
Let's be clear. The "Giant" is google and MS is "David" obviously. The evil empire must be taken down.
I'm rooting for the underdog too. Hopefully competition is good for a bigger piece of the pie for ppc customers. :)

- ms is full of bureaucrats stuck in a corporate prison.
Where do you get your information?

jacksonm
1st February 2008, 10:17 PM

Now, you know that wasn't what I said :-)

I wonder if Google will make a keyboard soon? Now that would really be cool. How about a home PC? A mobile phone? I wonder if they will win any wireless spectrum auctions? I bet they won't get into game consoles.

Seriously, Google pisses me off about 1 or 2 things - adwords and adsense related. Micros~1 then again pisses me off about more things than there are IDNs in RD's Chinese portfolio. IBM used to be the misbehaving bully, but they've calmed down and started to run a semi-respectable business nowadays. Wonder how long it will take for Redmond...

But I don't hold MS' behaviour against you, and you know that.

I'm rooting for the underdog too. Hopefully competition is good for a bigger piece of the pie for ppc customers. :)

You think either will let us run MS/Yahoo ads and Google ads on the same web pages?

You think MS/Yahoo will index pages which contain Google adsense code, and vice versa?

These are the things to think about... I can see the wheels in Ballmer's head spinning now.

bwhhisc
1st February 2008, 10:52 PM
You think either will let us run MS/Yahoo ads and Google ads on the same web pages?

You think MS/Yahoo will index pages which contain Google adsense code, and vice versa?

These are the things to think about... I can see the wheels in Ballmer's head spinning now.

Very good points...will be a real interesting chess match between the two.
Reality is, they are both going to figure out the best way to make an even bigger amount of money off you and me.

QUOTE:
"the biggest change from a Microsoft-Yahoo deal probably will be the one most Web surfers don't notice.
That will come as the companies try to broaden their ability to deliver ads all over the Internet, wherever it reaches."

rhys
2nd February 2008, 12:15 AM
ms is full of bureaucrats stuck in a corporate prison.

Thanks for the love websjapan! I'm not saying you're wrong but hey...:p http://www.fa-ir.org/ai/graphics/PRISONER.gif

jose
2nd February 2008, 06:33 AM
war is good for us.

Rubber Duck
2nd February 2008, 06:38 AM
Very good points...will be a real interesting chess match between the two.
Reality is, they are both going to figure out the best way to make an even bigger amount of money off you and me.

QUOTE:
"the biggest change from a Microsoft-Yahoo deal probably will be the one most Web surfers don't notice.
That will come as the companies try to broaden their ability to deliver ads all over the Internet, wherever it reaches."

I would have been more impressed if they had moved on Baidu or Yandex!

I think this will more closely resemble a Turkey Shoot than a Chess Match!

touchring
2nd February 2008, 07:14 AM
war is good for us.

i agree, but i was really sour on failing to buy yahoo when i thought m$ will make a bid for it since last 6 mths.

Darn, i'm getting slow. Need to eat more iq food.

bwhhisc
2nd February 2008, 08:52 AM
I would have been more impressed if they had moved on Baidu or Yandex!
They are no doubt at least on the radar screen as Microsoft is pretty well entrenched as a global company.
Who knows, Gates may even discuss some strategic alliances at his next dinner with the Chinese president.
The best strategy for Microsoft-Yahoo may be the international market while they chip away at Google on the homefront.

jacksonm
2nd February 2008, 09:02 AM
i agree, but i was really sour on failing to buy yahoo when i thought m$ will make a bid for it since last 6 mths.

In the future, you will realize that this was actually a very good "failure".

touchring
2nd February 2008, 10:45 AM

um, why?

but actually, after loking at Yahoo's share chart, i might not have earned very much, prices was fluctuating around 25 dollars a share or more for most of the year.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=YHOO&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

ok, back to monitoring e-trade. Anyone also looking at e-trade? :)

bwhhisc
2nd February 2008, 11:41 AM
We shall see if indeed you are a better engineer than a strategic planner :)

jacksonm
2nd February 2008, 12:50 PM
We shall see if indeed you are a better engineer than a strategic planner :)

Take two companies that have no momentum in search, and only one of them with any decent traction in advertising and only then in Japan, and what do you have compared to Google as it stands today? The answer is a weak competitor.

Google is so far ahead of either of these companies in search and advertising that it's not even funny. In addition, Google's search algorithms already contain complex grammar understanding for most of the world's important languages.

In terms of indexing, Googlebot is already deployed to regional data centers around the globe and apparently has zero problem with crawling billions of pages on a regular basis, even tens of millions concurrently.

Google has already proven that it can develop and deploy functional, well integrated applications in a globally scalable manner and multi-lingual at that.

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't see how anybody could believe that a Microsoft-Yahoo combination could even begin to compete with Google in search and advertising. Time will tell if I'm wrong.

jose
6th February 2008, 07:16 PM
Google have proposed an alliance with Yahoo saying they want to avoid monopoly.

EXCUSE ME?

Strange to say, but I am with Microsoft this time.

rhys
6th February 2008, 07:21 PM
Take two companies that have no momentum in search, and only one of them with any decent traction in advertising and only then in Japan, and what do you have compared to Google as it stands today? The answer is a weak competitor.

Google is so far ahead of either of these companies in search and advertising that it's not even funny. In addition, Google's search algorithms already contain complex grammar understanding for most of the world's important languages.

In terms of indexing, Googlebot is already deployed to regional data centers around the globe and apparently has zero problem with crawling billions of pages on a regular basis, even tens of millions concurrently.

Google has already proven that it can develop and deploy functional, well integrated applications in a globally scalable manner and multi-lingual at that.

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't see how anybody could believe that a Microsoft-Yahoo combination could even begin to compete with Google in search and advertising. Time will tell if I'm wrong.

Absolutely true. This is why everyone needs to understand that the real threat is some Google takeover of Yahoo's search traffic. 2 weak competitors neither with any leadership to speak of, are bound to just sit there watching market share go down. I don't know why anyone would protest this harmless deal.

jacksonm
6th February 2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know why anyone would protest this harmless deal.

Because of IM and email.

Rubber Duck
6th February 2008, 07:25 PM
Google have proposed an alliance with Yahoo saying they want to avoid monopoly.

EXCUSE ME?

Strange to say, but I am with Microsoft this time.

Even stranger. Me too?

bwhhisc
6th February 2008, 07:32 PM
Even stranger. Me too?
Hey Rhys, shouldn't this at least quality RD for a free bootleg copy of Vista.