PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo may consider Google alliance

jacksonm
4th February 2008, 01:00 PM
Yahoo Inc would consider a business alliance with Google Inc as one way to rebuff a $44.6 billion takeover proposal by Microsoft, a source familiar with Yahoo's strategy said on Sunday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN0362915520080204

touchring
4th February 2008, 01:08 PM
oh shit, this will be nightmare for domainers.

Rubber Duck
4th February 2008, 01:32 PM
oh shit, this will be nightmare for domainers.

This won't fly. The EU would not accept a Yahoo/Google alliance, and neither probably would anyone else.

jacksonm
4th February 2008, 02:23 PM
This won't fly. The EU would not accept a Yahoo/Google alliance, and neither probably would anyone else.

It will take them a year or two to sort it, thus blocking M$. All the while, Google gathers strength, cash, and momentum.

kenne
4th February 2008, 04:38 PM
I never quite figured Bill Gates out, he'd wring the last penny from his windows/office monopoly, kill all the competitors (from small fries to giants), then give all the money to fight this disease and that disease somewhere in Africa (where people have more kids than is good for them, even Kenya is now ethnic cleansing, it makes one despair of Africa). I suspect it's all an ego-trip.

By acquiring Yahoo, MS gets to distract google from google's push to MS Office monopoly; and it will also acquire a monopoly in corporate-individual email, instant messengers and consolidate its MS office monopoly; a duopoly in US search market is result until one of either google or MS gains dominance. A master stroke if regulators let them.

Considering all this, I prefer Yahoo to stay independent. In the short term we'd gain from the acquisition, in the long term, I want Google to win. It's the only corp that stays reasonable close to its native ideal, and so far it has worked to open things up and innovate.

touchring
4th February 2008, 04:47 PM
Considering all this, I prefer Yahoo to stay independent. In the short term we'd gain from the acquisition, in the long term, I want Google to win. It's the only corp that stays reasonable close to its native ideal, and so far it has worked to open things up and innovate.

For domainers, it's better if m$ acquires yahoo. Google is getting way too dorminant in ppc, and Yahoo seems to be losing fast.

kenne
4th February 2008, 07:44 PM
For domainers, it's better if m$ acquires yahoo. Google is getting way too dorminant in ppc, and Yahoo seems to be losing fast.

For the next 2-3 years competition is good. But after that, if M$ managed to weaken or kill Google like what it did to Netscape, everyone including domainers will suffer. And after 2-3 years is when I expect to make real bucks!

In other words, I don't mind MS gaining 20%, 30% US market share. But 50% US market share, in addition to MS-Yahoo's strangle hold on desktop/web communication (email and IM), I'd be very against it.

There's a saying "better a devil we know than a devil we don't know". In this case, we know M$'s true colors; but Google's well camouflaged so far, may actually be trying to do good for all that we know. Unlike Ebay hiking sellers' fee, they aren't hiking their share of adsense, are they? If it's MS, it will probably act like Ebay.

jacksonm
4th February 2008, 07:46 PM
For the next 2-3 years competition is good. But after that, if M$ managed to weaken or kill Google like what it did to Netscape, everyone including domainers will suffer. And after 2-3 years is when I expect to make real bucks!

Netscape was a piss ant compared to Google. With Google, they have a formidable rival, even if they do waste their money on Yahoo!

This is MS way of using bossmann's AIMFAI phrase; they are calling Google at the poker table while bluffing.

Rubber Duck
4th February 2008, 08:31 PM
Well, I always reckoned there was only room for 3-4 major Search Engines globally.

The weakest links were always Yandex and MS, with on Google and Baidu guaranteed to make the grade.

Basically this is MS throwing in the towel. One portal or other and one search engine or other has to go the journey. I guess MS will just use Yahoo technology and content and tag it with its own so popular Brand.

That is really going to have Google making stains in their pants!

jacksonm
4th February 2008, 08:38 PM

LOL!

Like i said, when Google does a stock split they are going to raise a hell of an amount of cash from new investors. Not that they are wanting today, but they will be able to expand to MS level of employees very quickly.

What's your take on this, RD? You seem to have a grasp on these economic situations. Will Google be able to do a 10 for 1 stock split and how will that affect them and MS?

rhys
4th February 2008, 08:38 PM

Why not, apparently the EU only has one evil empire it can hold in its head at a time. The space is occupied at the moment so why bother with another one?:o

kenne
4th February 2008, 08:39 PM
Netscape was a piss ant compared to Google. With Google, they have a formidable rival, even if they do waste their money on Yahoo!

This is MS way of using bossmann's AIMFAI phrase; they are calling Google at the poker table while bluffing.

Netscape was making no real money, so couldn't defend itself. If it does come to Google vs MS-YHOO, I hope Google comes out the victor. MS-Yhoo will have no hesitation hiking its share of adsense once it got to be the dominant player in Search

Well, I always reckoned there was only room for 3-4 major Search Engines globally.

The weakest links were always Yandex and MS, with on Google and Baidu guaranteed to make the grade.

Basically this is MS throwing in the towel. One portal or other and one search engine or other has to go the journey. I guess MS will just use Yahoo technology and content and tag it with its own so popular Brand.

Why is Yandex weak? They had big share of russian market?

MS is throwing its money and monopoly with the towel. Resource wise, a MS-YAHOO with 50% US market share, iron-lock on Desktop-web email/instant messengers, and windows/office monopoly, huge marketing/sales muscle, has the upper hand.

I'm not so confidant of Google victory, but would root for Google any time.

Rubber Duck
4th February 2008, 09:44 PM
I think Yandex is weak. They have Ramber as domestic competition and Google is trying to beat the door down. They just don't seem to respond to the challenge. They have done nothing about IDN, which is going to have a big impact on their market.

mulligan
4th February 2008, 09:58 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN0362915520080204

Just makes good business sense if you ask me .. competitor will have to jack the price right up and a 'bidding war' will ensue

rhys
5th February 2008, 06:49 AM
Just makes good business sense if you ask me .. competitor will have to jack the price right up and a 'bidding war' will ensue

Google has no need to buy yahoo. It's a war of attrition they know they would win either way. I'm surprised you guys don't realize that google is the monopolistic enemy in this case. You know, united they stand but divided they fall.

chinainvest
5th February 2008, 12:26 PM
Yahoo is like a little b*tch in-between Google and MS. Their are offering their ass to the pimp who will pay more...

kenne
5th February 2008, 03:12 PM
Yahoo is like a little b*tch in-between Google and MS. Their are offering their ass to the pimp who will pay more...

Yahoo was not inviting MS. I like Yahoo. Personally I'm happy if MSN gets Yahoo search. But hates it if MS gets its hot little hands on Yahoo Email and Yahoo Messenger. If Google buys the latter, it will not trigger antitrust and it will have a fighting chance in the web apps market.

So ideal scenario is, Yahoo stays independent or MS/google split yahoo.

http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSN0562926920080205

jacksonm
5th February 2008, 03:21 PM
But hates it if MS gets its hot little hands on Yahoo Email and Yahoo Messenger.

s/hot little hands/grubby little hands/