PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's hostile takeover attempt of Yahoo!

jacksonm
4th February 2008, 06:42 PM
Is this a good thing or a bad thing, you vote! Also, comments in the thread are welcome.

Fka200
4th February 2008, 07:00 PM
I don't know why but I feel if Microsoft were to take over Yahoo, things would be better. Competition is just getting out of control with people dieing over AdSense. Stronger competition would boost things.

jacksonm
4th February 2008, 07:44 PM
But the point is that MS doesn't compete, they kill. When have you seen them actually compete?

khurtsiya
4th February 2008, 10:30 PM
This is good.

Even if this will be competition - Google will defenetly win.

I agree with Fka200:
Stronger competition would boost things.

Clotho
5th February 2008, 06:16 AM
If you think that greater competition is a good thing then please explain to me how merging 2 competing companies into one equals greater competition?

I think some of you may need some remedial math courses. Let me make it clear.

2-1=1

Giant
5th February 2008, 06:32 AM
If you think that greater competition is a good thing then please explain to me how merging 2 competing companies into one equals greater competition?

2-1=1

And if Google grows too big, too strong, and without competitor(s), then:

3-2=1

rhys
5th February 2008, 06:37 AM
Search is a winner take all game. Google is way past the tipping point such that if this near monopoly is allowed to continue much longer neither yahoo nor msn will be viable by themselves. Together they have a hope of providing an alternative to Google. And Yahoo aligning themselves further with Google to avoid MSN is truly the anti-competitive move.

Although I would remain pessimistic even if the Yahoo/MSN thing happened. Why? Well Yahoo has no leadership. And MSN's leadership is arguably worse. This probably equals one expensive train wreck. Nonetheless, it's the best alternative that might exist to Google and so needs to be given a chance.

jacksonm
5th February 2008, 06:43 AM
And Yahoo aligning themselves further with Google to avoid MSN is truly the anti-competitive move.

s/anti-competitive/commendable/

Fka200
5th February 2008, 06:46 AM

2-1=1

Trust me, I get the point. The problem is people have seriously been losing their minds with AdSense. Things have gone to crap from what I've seen in the last year or so.

Who the hell is going to compete with Google? AdBrite? Bidvertiser? Unfortunately, those are the ONLY *ACTUAL* competition against AdSense. Have you tried them? THEY F*CKING SUCK. Really bad.

Microsoft can't do it, Yahoo had a damn good chance but have tripped over their own bullshit and need to be picked up some how--whether it be getting their crap together or having Microsoft buy them out.

With a merger, I REALLY think they can come up with a PPC program that can compete with AdSense. Alone... they haven't managed to do it... so if they merge, chances are better. Not saying they can since my magic 8-ball broke last week, but I'm sure it will at least give AdSense a reality slap that someone with money is actually challenging their #1 money maker.

As for the math part... right now it's only ONE (1). Take the 2 Bullshit companies subtract one to get one company that has a chance and you get 1 competing company. Take your one competing company and add it to the only "decent" player on the market and you get TWO companies in a market that are in competition--decent competition--as opposed to your one before.

touchring
5th February 2008, 06:49 AM
With a merger, I REALLY think they can come up with a PPC program that can compete with AdSense. Alone... they haven't managed to do it... so if they merge, chances are better.

As for the math part... right now it's only ONE (1). Take your 2 Bullshit companies subtract one to get one company that has a chance and you get 1 competing company. Take your one competing company and add it to the only "decent" player on the market and you get TWO.

I think Microsoft can. What they lack is a captive market search engine (forget about msn.com! i believe the search market share for msn comes from "page not found redirects"!).

If Yahoo is left alone, it will be doomed in a matter of time.

jacksonm
5th February 2008, 06:54 AM
i believe the search market share for msn comes from "page not found redirects"!).

Ouch!

touchring
5th February 2008, 06:57 AM
Ouch!

This is the problem, they got no mindshare for search, it's useless if they got the best algo or head.

At least "some people" still use Yahoo for search. With Yahoo, their chances of catching up with Google will increase 1000%.

rhys
5th February 2008, 07:03 AM
I think Microsoft can. What they lack is a captive market search engine (forget about msn.com! i believe the search market share for msn comes from "page not found redirects"!).

If Yahoo is left alone, it will be doomed in a matter of time.

We're talking about 4% of the search market here. It's all insignificant compared to what Google has. I'm surprised anyone would bother to defend google. They are a cool company and all, but let's call a spade a spade here shall be. They are the new Microsoft and need to be taken down.

touchring
5th February 2008, 07:07 AM
We're talking about 4% of the search market here. It's all insignificant compared to what Google has. I'm surprised anyone would bother to defend google. They are a cool company and all, but let's call a spade a spade here shall be. They are the new Microsoft and need to be taken down.

From the consumer point of view, i'll defend google, but as a webmaster and domain owner, i'm not happy if i end up with only one source of revenue.

khurtsiya
5th February 2008, 07:49 AM

2-1=1
And so do not forget that

1+1=2 :p

jacksonm
5th February 2008, 07:58 AM
From the consumer point of view, i'll defend google, but as a webmaster and domain owner, i'm not happy if i end up with only one source of revenue.

Bullshit. People were making money with websites long before Adsense.

Charrua
5th February 2008, 02:54 PM
Nicrosoft = Monopoly that's all.

npcomplete
5th February 2008, 09:20 PM
What is this "MSN.COM" that people keep talking about?

Whoever the owner is, they need to realize that three letter ascii domains are quite valuable!

rhys
6th February 2008, 05:27 AM
Nicrosoft = Monopoly that's all.

Give me a break. The world is never that simple. Here is a new one for you that is equally true unless the MS-Yahoo deal goes through.

Google = Monopoly

People get too caught up in brands and personalities. Both Google and Microsoft are large impersonal publicly traded companies acting in the best interest of their shareholders and only their shareholders. Ask yourself if you would judge this deal differently if you switched the names around. Because when it comes to the net, Google is the superpower

touchring
6th February 2008, 05:35 AM

Whoever the owner is, they need to realize that three letter ascii domains are quite valuable!

What's the going rate for LLL.com?

Low $XX,XXX? LOL.

jacksonm
14th February 2008, 09:06 AM
And the latest news, Rupert Murdoch is interested in Yahoo. Surprise, surprise.

Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation is reportedly in talks with Yahoo about a possible deal that would stave off an approach from Microsoft.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7244178.stm

Rubber Duck
14th February 2008, 09:43 AM
Microsoft cannot afford to lose this deal, even though they will almost certainly subsequently screw it anyway. This is really just a spoiler that will force Bill to stump up another $10 Billion. :p

Rubber Duck
14th February 2008, 10:40 AM
Microsoft cannot afford to lose this deal, even though they will almost certainly subsequently screw it anyway. This is really just a spoiler that will force Bill to stump up another $10 Billion. :p

touchring
14th February 2008, 01:49 PM
And the latest news, Rupert Murdoch is interested in Yahoo. Surprise, surprise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7244178.stm

this is a weak ploy, murdoch got no chance against google.

Rubber Duck
14th February 2008, 02:14 PM
this is a weak ploy, murdoch got no chance against google.

They are not competing they are just spoiling. They are making it more difficult for Bill. He he wants victory, he is going to have to up the Anti.

bwhhisc
14th February 2008, 02:33 PM
You really need to put MSN.com into your browser and find out. :)

The "owner" of this LLL really doesn't need the money, but if he sold you would need a couple of hundred million minimum. :p

jacksonm
14th February 2008, 04:59 PM
You really need to put MSN.com into your browser and find out. :)

The "owner" of this LLL really doesn't need the money, but if he sold you would need a couple of hundred million minimum. :p

I think you missed a bit of satire here, Bill!

Marc is a real old school ascii domainer.

bwhhisc
14th February 2008, 05:06 PM
I think you missed a bit of satire here, Bill!
Marc is a real old school ascii domainer.
Sorry bout that...I mistook him for the guy that just moved out from living "under the bridge" and was looking for a few
'get rich quick' idns. :p

jacksonm
14th February 2008, 05:48 PM
They are not competing they are just spoiling. They are making it more difficult for Bill. He he wants victory, he is going to have to up the Anti.

This is good. Bleed Bill for all he's worth!

mulligan
14th February 2008, 09:01 PM
This is good. Bleed Bill for all he's worth!

Bill has a shit load of 'blood' and can 'bleed' till the cows come home ... :p