PDA

View Full Version : Understanding IDN Traffic

jacksonm
5th February 2008, 05:08 PM
Comment by yours truly.

http://simplygeo.com/2008/02/03/understanding-idn-traffic/

Fka200
5th February 2008, 05:28 PM
Amazingly well said. Thanks for taking the time out to write all of that.

jacksonm
5th February 2008, 05:40 PM
Amazingly well said. Thanks for taking the time out to write all of that.

Just spreadin' the word, brother, just spreadin' the word.

Fka200
5th February 2008, 05:48 PM
Just spreadin' the word, brother, just spreadin' the word.

My time will come soon enough where I start pulling my weight in spreading the word. Told a couple people last year and it was looking myself in the foot! ;).

touchring
5th February 2008, 06:00 PM
Interesting, i didn't know about the win95 thing. no wonder most people that got onto the internet are linux people. windows didn't support!! LOL.

And the linux ppl didn't know that domains were worth money!

jacksonm
5th February 2008, 06:08 PM
And the linux ppl didn't know that domains were worth money!

Well, back in 93, 94 nobody knew the internet was going to take off. Before that, all we had was FidoNET. I was still heavily using FidoNET all the way until late 95.

In addition, the reason why I didn't buy domains back then was because I understood that you needed to have two nameservers on different C blocks and I thought that this would be nearly impossible for an individual person to achieve. I don't think registrars were offering DNS service back in the early days.

Oh well. I got a second chance with IDN, and I'm starting to do pretty well. Maybe it will turn out all right in the end after all.

touchring
5th February 2008, 06:22 PM
Might sound silly, but until 1999, i didn't know it was possible to register a dot com domain - i thought you need to be an American company to do that! By the time i knew it was possible for foriegners to register dot com domains, it was too late....

LOL.

blastfromthepast
5th February 2008, 06:35 PM
Well, back in 93, 94 nobody knew the internet was going to take off.

Not true.

jacksonm
5th February 2008, 06:37 PM
Not true.

It was purely speculative! There were hardly any users at all.

mulligan
5th February 2008, 07:10 PM
Comment by yours truly.

http://simplygeo.com/2008/02/03/understanding-idn-traffic/

Nice post MJ

mdw
5th February 2008, 09:18 PM
Good post mj, I too remember that lame Trumpet Winsock install nonsense. In early '93 we were all using Archie and Gopher, and later the web using lynx. In '94 graphical web browsers came alive.

I remember after I saw MOSAIC browser I learned how to write CGI programs (1994) using the common gateway interface. That guy who wrote the CGI code in Apache had some C code (cgiparse.c I think) that folks like me started using to process form POST data. Then we inspected each form var, marching our pointers up and down each array of chars, C style!

I also knew a guy running nameservers early on, but did not realize the fortune I could have made with domains. I registered one silly domain instead of getting a few valuable ones. I never followed up with more domains until around 2005.

note: edited because I rambled on so much the topic changed

mgrohan
6th February 2008, 12:37 AM
Great informative post, a good read.

dabsi
6th February 2008, 05:33 AM
A very poor article written by a newbee:

a stupid statement:
if a German speaking person wanted to visit the German version of “accessories.de” or “accessories.com”, he/she would simply type “zubehör.de” or “zubehör.com”

another stupid statement:
It is suspected by some that the reason Google refuses to allow IDN URLs (today) in Adwords campaigns is that an IDN owner would be able to bid far lower than competitors, thus ranking in a lower position on the page, yet still receive the majority of the clicks

Typing in IDN domains is nearly as simple as typing anything else, in many cases just as simple.

No further comments

DABSI

mulligan
6th February 2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks for another 'insightful post' dabsi .. :o

jacksonm
6th February 2008, 08:09 AM

a stupid statement:
if a German speaking person wanted to visit the German version of “accessories.de” or “accessories.com”, he/she would simply type “zubehör.de” or “zubehör.com”

It is suspected by some that the reason Google refuses to allow IDN URLs (today) in Adwords campaigns is that an IDN owner would be able to bid far lower than competitors, thus ranking in a lower position on the page, yet still receive the majority of the clicks

Typing in IDN domains is nearly as simple as typing anything else, in many cases just as simple.

No further comments

DABSI

Dabsi, you are entitled to your opinions, but perhaps you could say why you think those are stupid statements.

And maybe some of the old-timers can tell me if you think my post was full of shit or on the money.

domain_trader
6th February 2008, 05:15 PM
MJ, that was a damn good post in my opinion. Also well done Drew for providing those traffic figures.

thefabfive
6th February 2008, 05:38 PM
Dabsi, you are entitled to your opinions, but perhaps you could say why you think those are stupid statements.

And maybe some of the old-timers can tell me if you think my post was full of shit or on the money.

Your post was good.

Don't pay any attention to the malcontents. No one else does.

bwhhisc
6th February 2008, 05:43 PM
a stupid statement:
No further comments
DABSI

Easy there Dabsi...the word "stupid" is insulting to Mike who did his level best to express his opinion on things.

There is a nicer way to say the same thing among friends. :)

And yes...you should elaborate on your answers.

jacksonm
6th February 2008, 06:25 PM
Easy there Dabsi...the word "stupid" is insulting to Mike who did his level best to express his opinion on things.

There is a nicer way to say the same thing among friends. :)

And yes...you should elaborate on your answers.

Look, she doesn't hurt my feelings. If she thinks those comments were stupid, though, she should explain herself.

tee1
6th February 2008, 06:49 PM
Look, she doesn't hurt my feelings. If she thinks those comments were stupid, though, she should explain herself.

MJ the post was excellent. congrats. as for Dabsi, is she a blonde? have we established that.

tee1