PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Cable Cut To Middle East

jacksonm
7th February 2008, 09:52 AM
You may have noticed a number of stories recently about undersea cables getting cut around the world. Apparently the total is now up to 5, but the scariest part of this is that Iran is now offline. You can also read Schneier's comments on this coincidence. Update: 02/06 17:42 GMT by Z : As a commenter notes, though the country of Iran is obviously experiencing some networking difficulties, it is not offline.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/02/06/1431206.shtml

Rubber Duck
7th February 2008, 10:48 AM
Keep US Tankers out of the Persian Gulf and the problem should go away. :)

jacksonm
7th February 2008, 10:56 AM
Keep US Tankers out of the Persian Gulf and the problem should go away. :)

Do you really believe that 5 separate cables can be cut in a matter of days simply by ships which have been going through the area for years?

Rubber Duck
7th February 2008, 11:43 AM
Do you really believe that 5 separate cables can be cut in a matter of days simply by ships which have been going through the area for years?

No, but it does seem like the main victim is Iran, which is a bit of departure from the terrorists normal agenda. The question has to be asked who is trying to screw up Iran?

From what I have read, getting at cables buried in the Sea Bed at great depth is not something within the capability of known groups, but it would be well within the capacity of the CIA with cooperation of US businesses.

Damage by dragging Super Tanker Anchors still seems to be the most plausible explanation.

jacksonm
7th February 2008, 11:50 AM
Ah, now I got your point. This could be the situation.

clipper
7th February 2008, 11:57 AM
Odds are it's the NSA, MI6, Israel, Google, and Santa Claus all working together. And we're never likely to hear about it again.

jacksonm
7th February 2008, 12:04 PM
Odds are it's the NSA, MI6, Israel, Google, and Santa Claus all working together. And we're never likely to hear about it again.

Santa Claus is a Finn!

Drewbert
7th February 2008, 06:14 PM
The supertanker drags it's anchor, then WHILE the cable is cut and being repaired, the submarine sits at another location, installing the wiretap.

jacksonm
7th February 2008, 06:20 PM
The supertanker drags it's anchor, then WHILE the cable is cut and being repaired, the submarine sits at another location, installing the wiretap.

No need, Menwith Hill has been in operation for years.

phio
7th February 2008, 06:22 PM

Rubber Duck
7th February 2008, 06:32 PM
No need, Menwith Hill has been in operation for years.

You mean that place just up the road where people drive around in weird looking cars?

jacksonm
7th February 2008, 06:51 PM
You mean that place just up the road where people drive around in weird looking cars?

Yeah, this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Menwith-hill-radomes.jpg/800px-Menwith-hill-radomes.jpg

Rubber Duck
7th February 2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, I used to drive past that everyday when I lived in Skipton.

Actually, its main purpose it commercial espionage against the British.

jacksonm
7th February 2008, 07:19 PM
Yes, I used to drive past that everyday when I lived in Skipton.

Actually, its main purpose it commercial espionage against the British.

I believe they actually have a tap on the transatlantic commo cables and record or at least filter 100% of traffic (voice, net, etc).

Rubber Duck
7th February 2008, 07:25 PM
I believe they actually have a tap on the transatlantic commo cables and record or at least filter 100% of traffic (voice, net, etc).

Yes, and all we get is a lot propaganda about Russia, China and Iran.