PDA

View Full Version : Whats with all the personal attacks recently?

mulligan
9th February 2008, 09:20 AM
Guys and Gals ... stop with all the personal attacks / flaming / sniping .. Sheesh .. as is said in Malaysia (and Singapore) 'Relax one corner .. lah' (Touch will know what this means) .... (Google it and understand what it means)

Easy .. realise it is coming .. don't lose your patience and know you have made the right decision

Rubber Duck
9th February 2008, 10:02 AM
I don't think they are really higher than they have ever been, it is just that there is nothing meaningful happening here. A few people trying unsuccessfully to raise uncertainty buy talking absolute bollocks, but even that has subsided due to a continued lack of willingness to sell good domains for peanuts. It may just be a growing sense that we probably don't need each other as much as we did. It occurs to me that very soon I can take up residence in a new place, where nobody even knows me, live comfortably off my earnings without working. I probably won't even need to go to great length to try to maximise my earnings. Of course I can play around with a few keywords if I get bored, squander some of my income on the mediocre names dropping at Snapnames, but after that I am going to need a hobby and hanging around here talking rubbish probably just isn't going to cut it.

sunsei21
9th February 2008, 01:21 PM
yes post have went down in quality 30 idnf is failing posts if it is it is if not its not but how many times does it need to be said ? a influx of people who seem to have no clue about domains so forget about idns . idns are not going to make it posts by the ones that need reassurance or convincing whatever the case. lol its time to give the sate of the union :) i see why rick runs a private board sometimes or domain state does not advertise. Duck you are right live off the riches and chase names as the unknown domainer :)

jacksonm
9th February 2008, 01:38 PM
It's like a bunch of angry sharks who haven't had a meal in a while.

Everyone has their own agenda. Some of those who have been hoarding 15 thousand IDNs for 4-5 years already are frustrated that the market and serious traffic hasn't arrived yet. I am still acquiring, so I am happy if the market doesn't arrive for the next 2 years plus it might force the hoarders to drop names. These conflicts of interest drive people to get into arguments over what a piece of news might mean - people are bored and frustrated.

One thing that can alleviate boredom and frustration is development - start monetizing your domains today instead of complaining that you went to stand in line 5 years early and your free lunch is taking too long to arrive.

Now, I'm out of here for a while - time to go launch a few new sites.

Giant
9th February 2008, 01:57 PM

Everyone has their own agenda. Some of those who have been hoarding 15 thousand IDNs for 4-5 years already are frustrated that the market and serious traffic hasn't arrived yet. I am still acquiring, so I am happy if the market doesn't arrive for the next 2 years plus it might force the hoarders to drop names. These conflicts of interest drive people to get into arguments over what a piece of news might mean - people are bored and frustrated.

One thing that can alleviate boredom and frustration is development - start monetizing your domains today instead of complaining that you went to stand in line 5 years early and your free lunch is taking too long to arrive.

MJ, you are wrong here. The IDN domainers with a good portfolio of names are all laughing now, there are too many good offers they try to refuse. I sold 4 names at $50K in January. The people that came to me and asked to buy these names know what happen at ICANN much better than we do, they don't need to read our posts to make a decision.

Rubber Duck
9th February 2008, 01:58 PM
If it doesn't arrive in any shape or form for a couple of years, yes you will be able to scoop the pot, and you will be able to have them with my blessing, because I will have got it completely wrong! The IDN project would be in terminal decline by then.

Of course there are other scenarios, but we don't want to go spreading unsubstantiated rumours do we?

DomainDialect
9th February 2008, 02:04 PM
I think trying to sell domains on this forum is like trying to sell a used car to another used car salesman. We need to reach the public and get our cars on the street. Now, what's the best way to accomplish this?

Giant
9th February 2008, 02:12 PM
I think trying to sell domains on this forum is like trying to sell a used car to another used car salesman. We need to reach the public and get our cars on the street. Now, what's the best way to accomplish this?

Stock good names, not 2nd tier or 3rd tier names. If you have the good product, the buyers will come. They can find you even when you are vacationing.

Rubber Duck
9th February 2008, 02:17 PM

Been tried over and over again, and despite all the hype there is no evidence that all this development has created substantial revenue streams. One or two make be breaking even but that is about it, as far as I can tell. Neither is there anything to suggest that Craig's campaign to take IDN to the masses in Japan had any impact. A lot of cost, a lot of work, and in most cases for very little.

The things that actually matter are what Microsoft and what ICANN are doing, because these actually influence people in the Real World. They have taken a long time to do much at all but we are now at a critical phase. It will either change the World permanently and fairly quickly, or it just won't. You pays your money and you takes your chance.

Stock good names, not 2nd tier or 3rd tier names. If you have the good product, the buyers will come. They can find you even when you are vacationing.

Yep, that might do it! :)

mulligan
9th February 2008, 02:21 PM

One thing I will tell you .. Those with top-to-medium-quality domains are getting offers .. these offers are increasing in volume (albeit with your typicall lowballers)
Be aware that some outside of the 'IDN circle' are getting interested as they are smart people who can see the potential and want in before the thing goes stratospheric and when sellers prices are 'out of reach'

Rubber Duck
9th February 2008, 02:23 PM
One thing I will tell you .. Those with top-to-medium-quality domains are getting offers .. these offers are increasing in volume (albeit with your typicall lowballers)
Be aware that some outside of the 'IDN circle' are getting interested as they are smart people who can see the potential and want in before the thing goes stratospheric and when sellers prices are 'out of reach'

Come on, you really should stop spreading all the is evil, groundless, hype just to screw innocent Newbies out of their pocket money. :p

DomainDialect
9th February 2008, 02:53 PM
Good points, all. I think I may be one of those who came into the game in the 5th inning and I'm trying to get a hit. I don't necessarily need a homerun (but it would be nice). A lot of base hits can win a ballgame too. ;) I can feel and understand the frustrations involved. Although IMO I feel I have a few good names I understand my portfolio may be sub-par therefore resulting in my lack of offers. It's all good. :)

Vlaen
9th February 2008, 03:22 PM

Stop keeping your sales private.

Announce from every rooftop every sale and you'll be doing a couple of things.

Everyone wants to keeps large sales secret so they can continue to buy cheap IDNs.

Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Giant talks about making 50k off four domains. IDNs? Wow, sign me up.
RD talking about retiring already? Yea, I'm on the right track.

I've not seen to much of this attack stuff. I see a healthy forum and debate, the worlds not made of cookies and cream.

touchring
9th February 2008, 03:27 PM

I've not seen to much of this attack stuff. I see a healthy forum and debate, the worlds not made of cookies and cream.

Giant sold some of his top names, i'm not aware of the prices, but $50k sounds reasonable and credible. Anyone willing to pay $50k will want the sale to be private and confidential.

Considering what i've seen of mainland chinese tourists in Macau, $50k is peanuts. I wouldn't sell any of my top names - i might consider if the sale buys me a condo in Macau overlooking Sands, Wynn or MGM. ;)

This is what Sheldon Adelson said:

Las Vegas Sands chairman Sheldon Adelson, the world's sixth richest man,[1] has said that his company will soon be a mainly Chinese enterprise, and quipped that Las Vegas should be called "America's Macau". The president and chief operating officer of Las Vegas Sands Corporation predicted on 12 February 2007 that Macau has topped that of the Las Vegas Strip and will more than double again by 2010.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_Sands

9th February 2008, 03:29 PM
I sold 4 names at $50K in January.

If i understand correctly you sold 4 for the appx total of 50k.

I bought 1 idn some time ago for alot considerably more then 50k.

The market is practically not born yet still.

mulligan
9th February 2008, 03:41 PM
Come on, you really should stop spreading all the is evil, groundless, hype just to screw innocent Newbies out of their pocket money. :p
Lol ... it would take a fuck of a lot more than 'pocket money' to persuad me to part with some of my domains .. you know this is as true for me as it is for you ... :p

Giant
9th February 2008, 03:46 PM
Stop keeping your sales private.

Announce from every rooftop every sale and you'll be doing a couple of things.

Everyone wants to keeps large sales secret so they can continue to buy cheap IDNs.

All my private sales are 100% secret, I never reveal the domains or the buyers to anybody except one sale --- [renovation].com because the buyer kenne agreed to publicize it. Yes, it's 4 Chinese IDN.com for a total of $50K.

Rubber Duck
9th February 2008, 03:47 PM
If i understand correctly you sold 4 for the appx total of 50k.

I bought 1 idn some time ago for alot considerably more then 50k.

The market is practically not born yet still.

Just don't tell them who is signing the cheques, otherwise you'll start of another one of those undignified scrambles to register everything in sight. :p

Giant
9th February 2008, 04:03 PM
Giant sold some of his top names, i'm not aware of the prices, but $50k sounds reasonable and credible. Anyone willing to pay $50k will want the sale to be private and confidential.

No, 4 names were sold to 3 buyers for a little more than $50K total.