PDA

View Full Version : Internet Bullies

jacksonm
11th February 2008, 03:40 PM
You all should read this carefully. Not just the first post, but all the way down to the last one. Link is at the end of this post.

These gentlemen/ladies differ from trolls in the sense that they are not anti-social, but they are an accepted and sometimes well-respected members who assume a sort of informal and unofficial leadership role. They use this position to intimidate and assert their views on newer and less established members and often push their weight around to mark territorial rights. They will generally try and behave properly, but subtly try and behave like moderators and preach about forum behaviour. They will also turn and insult people as they wish and surprisingly other forum members will turn a blind eye to them.

Bullies are more or less regular forum members who might have a huge post count and a following.

Bullies rarely get identified for what they are, because they are regular members and nobody can suggest that they are ordinary trolls because they have a huge post count.

Bullies enjoy fighting and run around bashing everybody who dares oppose them.

What i always love is when a bully decided to start his own forum cause the forum now sux and they take their gang members with them. 99/100 times the forum isnt successfull and half the people end up coming back.. ahh makes me laugh.

Sound familiar?

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26193

domain_trader
11th February 2008, 03:46 PM
You all should read this carefully. Not just the first post, but all the way down to the last one. Link is at the end of this post.
Sound familiar?

This is brilliant sociological observation MJ. Spot on!

alpha
11th February 2008, 04:08 PM
and... "For instance if there spaming "i hate bush".... "

spooky.

so MJ who are you referring to? is it Markits or Bill ?

the thing is, a bully is only a bully if you feel bullied - i read the same stuff on here, and i've had many a run in with the lil' yellow fella, but I can't say I've ever felt "bullied"

maybe there's too many pussy's round here? just askin'...

jacksonm
11th February 2008, 04:29 PM
the thing is, a bully is only a bully if you feel bullied - i read the same stuff on here, and i've had many a run in with the lil' yellow fella, but I can't say I've ever felt "bullied"

I do not feel bullied, but that does not mean that I can not identify one that is making other people feel bullied.

Yes, I did say read every post, but the George Bush thing was a big out of context. He is a fairly popular target to dislike. One thing is for certain, though, he will be gone in less than a year.

Should we change the rules to "No Pussies Allowed" ? Could we reliably determine that with a written entrance examination? :rolleyes:

touchring
11th February 2008, 04:35 PM
Art of war. Business is war.

domain_trader
11th February 2008, 04:47 PM
Art of war. Business is war.

I think people forget though that this is a forum, not a business. Sure, there is business going on here (through sales, etc.), and granted the subject matter is the business of investing, but most of the discussions here that end up as truffle are topic-based ones like any other interest-based forum.

Also, business might be compared to war in its strategic and competitive aspects, but there is still a level of professionalism in the business world. Even in war, people can act honorably.

touchring
11th February 2008, 04:55 PM
I think people forget though that this is a forum, not a business. Sure, there is business going on here (through sales, etc.), and granted the subject matter is the business of investing, but most of the discussions here that end up as truffle are topic-based ones like any other interest-based forum.

Also, business might be compared to war in its strategic and competitive aspects, but there is still a level of professionalism in the business world. Even in war, people can act honorably.

This forum was setup for the purpose of selling japanese and chinese names. Where do you think the owner went?

IDN is pure speculation, and all speculation is war, like futures, and subprime.

alpha
11th February 2008, 04:56 PM

what most people here forget and what noobs are probably unaware of is where RD came from.

Yes he's rude, yes he's arrogant, yes he argues black is white sometimes and yes he rarely backs down and yes he always likes to have the last word, and yes you won't win an arguement because he'll always be back with an answer of some description or other...

... but it was these exact qualities (or flaws depending on your perspective) that for most here started the IDN game we're in now.

without all that persistant noise from RD over on that other forum, IDNF woudn't have been born, Olney wouldn't have been converted and a bunch of other people converted.

RD is the stereotypical double-edged sword. So unless you found IDN on your own prior to RD's rants in 2003/2004 - then you have him to thank for being here, and for having a piece of the IDN gamble.

so i suggest all those whining pussies go STFU, grow some balls, and be gratetful.

Rubber Duck
11th February 2008, 04:57 PM
And Jackson you should grow up and admit when you are wrong.

You did not apologize to Jose when the overwhelming consensus here was that you well out of order.

You won't admit that charging for additional aliases requires aliasing within the Back End Database of each registry.

Basically you are an arrogant twat, who won't he is wrong even though he often is and never apologises. And then you go crying to mummy. Just grow up!

This forum was setup for the purpose of selling japanese and chinese names. Where do you think the owner went?

IDN is pure speculation, and all speculation is war, like futures and hedge funds.

No the owner did not mention that when he originally begged me to fill his site with content, although that got snuck onto the agenda a little later on.

domain_trader
11th February 2008, 05:16 PM

What its original purpose was and what it has become are two very different things. How much trading is actually going on here? Compare the number of discussion threads to sales threads and the number of members who participate in each? Is the point of all this hostility so that any newcomers just shut up and participate only in the sales threads? Is that some sort of investment strategy from members here?

The net result of it, unfortunately, is that many people just move on and never come back to this forum, including I suspect some of the bigger players in the IDN market. How many registered members are there here compared to how many that regularly participate? Click on the guest statistics at any one time and you will see most of the so-called guests are just bots. All this truffle is bad for business. Maybe that is why Olney has lost interest.

jacksonm
11th February 2008, 05:25 PM
And Jackson you should grow up and admit when you are wrong.

You did not apologize to Jose when the overwhelming consensus here was that you well out of order.

Well out of order for exposing an untrusting and untrustworthy person who only cares about 2 seconds of fame for himself? Whatever. The fact that you completely missed the point as you were blinded by the paranoia is really not surprising.

You won't admit that charging for additional aliases requires aliasing within the Back End Database of each registry.

Are you kidding? That is exactly what I said. And I voiced my opinion that there is a 70% likelihood that this will happen. Registries are businesses, not charities. Drewbert told you that my explanation was a very good one, why don't you just go ahead and call him a stupid mother fucker? He also told you to get back on your Valium. No comment? What, are you scared of Drewbert?

Basically you are an arrogant twat, who won't he is wrong even though he often is and never apologises. And then you go crying to mummy. Just grow up!

Like I said, you don't hurt my feelings with your sniping, but I have grown seriously tired of it.

And as for this bullshit of who started all of this: I don't care if you are the pope, if you walk up and take a dump on the hood of my car I'll give you a good scar to remind you about it.

Basically, when you and Jose start treating people with trust and respect, then you will earn the same.

mulligan
11th February 2008, 05:26 PM
the thing is, a bully is only a bully if you feel bullied ..
word .. (BTW .. 'Is it coz I is .. ' .. oh .. never mind ... if you don't know who Ali G is then you 'just wont get it')

Rubber Duck
11th February 2008, 05:32 PM
What its original purpose was and what it has become are two very different things. How much trading is actually going on here? Compare the number of discussion threads to sales threads and the number of members who participate in each? Is the point of all this hostility so that any newcomers just shut up and participate only in the sales threads? Is that some sort of investment strategy from members here?

The net result of it, unfortunately, is that many people just move on and never come back to this forum, including I suspect some of the bigger players in the IDN market. How many registered members are there here compared to how many that regularly participate? Click on the guest statistics at any one time and you will see most of the so-called guests are just bots. All this truffle is bad for business. Maybe that is why Olney has lost interest.

You are talking out of your hat.

The sales threads on here have more or less been totally sabotaged and nobody with good domains puts them up for sale here on a regular basis. If you are having a go at me look to see where my recent sales threads are. Yes, you are correct in assuming that the Forum was largely envisaged as a marketing tool, but any hope that it would ever succeed evaporated when Alphamale and Mulligan quit as moderators in total frustration. Of course they were replaced, one went AWOL as soon as he arrived, the other has laboured on loyally, but hamstrung by the same issues that affected is predecessors, which if anything have just got progressively worse.

Anyway, if you have a problem with any of that just take it up with Olney.

domain_trader
11th February 2008, 05:36 PM
Anyway, if you have a problem with any of that just take it up with Olney.

Is that even possible? Your term AWOL seems particularly applicable here.

Rubber Duck
11th February 2008, 05:48 PM
Well out of order for exposing an untrusting and untrustworthy person who only cares about 2 seconds of fame for himself? Whatever. The fact that you completely missed the point as you were blinded by the paranoia is really not surprising.

Well there is the point. If there is a Bully here it is you. And what most bullies cannot stand is being confronted.

Are you kidding? That is exactly what I said. And I voiced my opinion that there is a 70% likelihood that this will happen. Registries are businesses, not charities. Drewbert told you that my explanation was a very good one, why don't you just go ahead and call him a stupid mother fucker? He also told you to get back on your Valium. No comment? What, are you scared of Drewbert?

What? He said that it was possible to Alias in the Back End Database of the registry, which I agreed with. He never suggested that there was any policy being formulated that would permit that to happen. You just assumed that because you could tinker around with your own computer and create a similar effect that this mechanism will be implemented. It won't. There has never been any suggestion by ICANN or the registries that this would be desirable or that any of the necessary policy would ever be formulated. I am pretty sure that SSAC have not even been asked to comment on the possibility. But you not only assume that it will happen but you jump to the assumption that Verisign can just charge what they want when they want to. That just is not the case. Variations in fee structures have to be put forward, be exposed to public consultation before being put before the board. If that is going to happen Verisign at some point are going to have to intimate to somebody they would like to do this. So where exactly does you 70% come from and does Drewbert agree with you? Stuffed if I know, but if he does then he is as deluded as you are!

Like I said, you don't hurt my feelings with your sniping, but I have grown seriously tired of it.

And as for this bullshit of who started all of this: I don't care if you are the pope, if you walk up and take a dump on the hood of my car I'll give you a good scar to remind you about it.

Basically, when you and Jose start treating people with trust and respect, then you will earn the same.

Don't worry. The only thing I need you to do for me is to stay out of my face.

Is that even possible? Your term AWOL seems particularly applicable here.

You're learning!

jacksonm
11th February 2008, 06:08 PM
The only thing I need you to do for me is to stay out of my face.

It's not going to happen until you quit coming back with exceedingly distasteful remarks about every difference of opinion to your own.

I have opinions as well as you do. Do you hear me calling you (or anyone else) a stupid mother fucker when I don't agree with you? Maybe I should start with that approach towards you, as it seems to be the only form of interpersonal interaction that you truly understand.

I didn't understand all the remarks before about the bad blood and alienation that you have caused in the domaining community, but it's starting to become much clearer now.

Rubber Duck
11th February 2008, 06:11 PM
Magic, so basically no you won't admit your wrong. Nothing new there then!

Well, I shall just have to look forward to your threats of physical violence with interest. :)

jacksonm
11th February 2008, 06:27 PM
Magic, so basically no you won't admit your wrong. Nothing new there then!

Well, I shall just have to look forward to your threats of physical violence with interest. :)

RD, nobody is threatening anybody here. And if they were, they were talking about the pope and not you.

Rubber Duck
11th February 2008, 06:28 PM
RD, nobody is threatening anybody here. And if they were, they were talking about the pope and not you.

Don't worry, you were not taken very seriously. :p

jacksonm
11th February 2008, 07:36 PM
Don't worry, you were not taken very seriously. :p

Good.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

rhys
11th February 2008, 11:30 PM
pretty funny. But I don't think RD counts as one. He is occasionally annoying without doubt but I don't regard him as badly intentioned nor threatening in any way.