zfreud
12th February 2008, 03:47 PM
Let the fireworks begin:

https://delhi.icann.org/files/Delhi-IDNWorkingGroup-11FEB08.txt

jacksonm
12th February 2008, 04:08 PM
Let the fireworks begin:

https://delhi.icann.org/files/Delhi-IDNWorkingGroup-11FEB08.txt

That document does not contain the word "alias". Anything else is just extraneous fluff.

blastfromthepast
12th February 2008, 04:17 PM
It has taken ten years of ICANN to begin to discuss the processes for opening up the gTLDs. And as Paul Twomey said in the opening session this morning, it is very, very complicated.
It, in my view, is impossible to imagine that we will rapidly introduce many cc and gTLDs in new scripts without developing some experience and expertise, particularly in the communities which are not now involved in ICANN but communities that we're trying to serve.

jacksonm
12th February 2008, 04:23 PM
It has taken ten years of ICANN to begin to discuss the processes for opening up the gTLDs. And as Paul Twomey said in the opening session this morning, it is very, very complicated.
It, in my view, is impossible to imagine that we will rapidly introduce many cc and gTLDs in new scripts without developing some experience and expertise, particularly in the communities which are not now involved in ICANN but communities that we're trying to serve.

Complicated my ass! These people are unbelievable. They create complexity for the sake of creating complexity.

mulligan
12th February 2008, 04:24 PM
It's like 'The Office'

"Behind closed doors we will have to decide whether Delhi was a good choice for our 'meeting' .. those with Delhi Belly please stand up .. Ok .. understand you can't.. Moving on .. Ok .. so at the last closed door meeting we chose Paris .. all in favour say 'Aye' .. Paris it is .. (Folks .. remember USD is not the accepted currency .. its called a 'frank' or a euro or something like that .. some weird shit) In the Paris closed door meeting we have to decide where to go next ... Whos up for the Bahamas? Any objections? .. Ok we have a few objections on the floor .. Ok people stop shouting out your faviourte holiday destinations .. we have serious work to do here .. Besides .. after the Bahamas where the fuck else haven't we been?"

zfreud
12th February 2008, 04:57 PM
yhea, i too think the lack of alias or dname is pretty telling.

this meeting also reaffirms my belief that we'll be seeing new space IDN tlds for major constituencies like China, Japan, Russia, etc in early 2009.

in the big picture, i believe that the publicity and the government support behind these IDN tlds will be a rising tide that lifts the .com boat significantly.

and blast, do you need another lesson on the difference between new space TLDs, aliased tlds and/or client supported TLDs that are subdomains of .cn like "中国" ".公司" in china?

or you all good now?

12th February 2008, 05:02 PM
yhea, i too think the lack of alias or dname is pretty telling.

I Don't think this assumption is valid considering: "CHRIS DISSPAIN: Ladies and gentlemen, the next session is the IDN ccTLD seminar."

blastfromthepast
12th February 2008, 05:04 PM
and blast, do you need another lesson on the difference between new space TLDs, aliased tlds and/or client supported TLDs that are subdomains of .cn like "中国" ".公司" in china?

There is plenty of basic info about name servers, top level domains, and how they operate, and how China operates to be specific, out there on the internet. I suggest you do a little research on your own before posting more nonsense. I'm not running a free consulting service here for your benefit, if you choose to ignore the reality of the situation.

thefabfive
12th February 2008, 05:13 PM
I Don't think this assumption is valid considering: "CHRIS DISSPAIN: Ladies and gentlemen, the next session is the IDN ccTLD seminar."
Agree. This is just about the (eventual) release of IDN ccTLDs. I'm assuming what the individual operators choose to do with them (aliasing or just another namespace) is up to them.

Seems apparent that China has chosen the aliasing solution, while Russia is opting for the new namespace solution.

zfreud
12th February 2008, 05:15 PM
blast, seriously dude, i never diss anyone on this forum. but you PM me, post in other threads, etc. saying I have no idea what I'm talking about regarding China .cn and IDN TLDs. As i, for one, am certain I have a strong grasp of the situation, I'm all ears.

china is aliasing "中国" on the client and ISP side. it's not a workable solution.

as I keep saying, they don't need aliasing to launch .中国 as a TLD.

it's one of the reasons they don't allow roman .中国 domains. it means when they insert a newspace .中国, they can just move all existing IDN.cn stakeholders over to the .中国

bwhhisc
12th February 2008, 05:20 PM
blast, seriously dude, i never diss anyone on this forum. but you PM me, post in other threads, etc. saying I have no idea what I'm talking about regarding China .cn and IDN TLDs. As i, for one, am certain I have a strong grasp of the situation, I'm all ears.
Translation: "Put up or Shut up" :p

mulligan
12th February 2008, 05:20 PM
I'm all ears.
'Ears' helped me out when I didn't know shit from a nappy (daiper) .. 'ears ' are a very fancy bit of kit and should be used wisely

Don't sweat it

Drewbert
12th February 2008, 08:03 PM
What is interesting is that FINALLY we might have a suggested list of fastrack IDNccTLD's presented tomorrow.

Rubber Duck
12th February 2008, 08:12 PM
What is interesting is that FINALLY we might have a suggested list of fastrack IDNccTLD's presented tomorrow.

Well, I would hope so. The process really only ever involved formulating a bloody list and agreeing it. Why, it all had to be made so damned complicated is beyond me.

12th February 2008, 08:13 PM

I'll go get dressed then.

Here's what Mr. Tina dam had to say:
http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=35324

jacksonm
12th February 2008, 08:37 PM
Here's what Mr. Tina dam had to say:

LOL, OOPS!

Drewbert
12th February 2008, 08:39 PM
No wonder (s)he's not been here for a while. From what Gamma told me, gender reassignment surgery can take a lot out of you.

alpha
12th February 2008, 08:40 PM
No wonder (s)he's not been here for a while. From what Gamma told me, gender reassignment surgery can take a lot out of you.

and lets face it, he went for the fully loaded package

mulligan
12th February 2008, 08:42 PM
Ahh ... I see .. always wondered about Gamma and what happened to him/her . hope the surgery went well ... :p

and lets face it, he went for the fully loaded package

He? But surely .. Ok .. nevermind

jacksonm
12th February 2008, 08:55 PM
I guess we're not expecting anymore visitors from ICANN! At least not expecting to welcome them warmly :p

mulligan
12th February 2008, 09:03 PM
I guess we're not expecting anymore visitors from ICANN! At least not expecting to welcome them warmly :p

They were always welcome and some of us worked long and hard to try and get them to 'come aboard' ... but some juvenilization (sp?) reared its ugly head .. and I don't mean that in a rude way .. Tina is always welcome here and also at dnlocal.com

blackops
14th February 2008, 05:57 AM
china is aliasing "中国" on the client and ISP side. it's not a workable solution.

as I keep saying, they don't need aliasing to launch .中国 as a TLD.

it's one of the reasons they don't allow roman .中国 domains. it means when they insert a newspace .中国, they can just move all existing IDN.cn stakeholders over to the .中国

A groundbreaking decision. At last, they seem to be taking their future in to their own hands - a day of pride for China!