PDA

View Full Version : 1 character Korean & Chinese .com, worth registering?

htmlindex
13th February 2008, 05:51 AM
I've found a 1 character Korean & Chinese .com that's available.

The Korean one has only about 15k Google results with no Google trends. Don't really know if it means anything or not in Korean.

The Chinese one has only about 30k Google results with no Google trends.

Considering any 1 character ASCII .com would be worth a ton of $$$, are the Korean & Chinese one worth regging or not?

Sunny
13th February 2008, 06:01 AM
dont know about korean or chinese, but there are still hundreds of unregistered 1 character japanese words. Now people dont register them since they think they dont have value, but who knows how will it be in 5 years. I think to have a couple of them will decorate any portfolio.

htmlindex
13th February 2008, 06:12 AM
dont know about korean or chinese, but there are still hundreds of unregistered 1 character japanese words. Now people dont register them since they think they dont have value, but who knows how will it be in 5 years. I think to have a couple of them will decorate any portfolio.

If you know of any off the top of your head, do you mind to PM me. I wouldn't mind checking them out. ;)

Sunny
13th February 2008, 06:20 AM
Search for a list of all japanese characters(there are not more than 5000 of them), then format the text, add .com or .jp and scan with moniker, or D.R.T. if u have it. U will surprise as to how many of them are still free. Thats what I did just yesterday. Still analysing the list :)

thegenius1
13th February 2008, 06:22 AM
Search for a list of all japanese characters(there are not more than 5000 of them), then format the text, add .com or .jp and scan with moniker, or D.R.T. if u have it. U will surprise as to how many of them are still free. Thats what I did just yesterday. Still analysing the list :)

Are you Japanese , Russian or other ?

mgrohan
13th February 2008, 06:23 AM
Obscure characters will not hold much value i think. Unless the character has some sense of meaning in it. 15k and 30k search results seem a bit low..

Sunny
13th February 2008, 06:25 AM
but if u want, here are some of them:

鞍.jp
或.jp
唖.jp
逢.jp
椅.jp
虻.jp
夷.jp
挨.jp
梓.jp
粟.jp
袷.jp
按.jp

all are unregistered at the moment.

Are you Japanese , Russian or other ?

I was born in Azerbaijan, so russian and azerbaijani are my native languages.

Also I can speak japanese and a little turkish since I studied in tukish highschool.

鞍.jp - this one has 25 000 000 results in google :)
and means: saddle, seat for a rider on the back of an animal.

Free now, so register quickly:)

This one: 或.jp means: some, being an unknown or unspecified amount, undetermined, approximate.
Has 1,460,000,000 results in google !!!!!!!!!
register fast haha

htmlindex
13th February 2008, 06:43 AM
Obscure characters will not hold much value i think. Unless the character has some sense of meaning in it. 15k and 30k search results seem a bit low..

How about if there are about 500k Google results in the .com?

clipper
13th February 2008, 06:55 AM
How about if there are about 500k Google results in the .com?
Do you mean "x.com" in quotes brings up 500k results? If so, probably.

But if you're just googling "x" and getting 500k results, that's not a lot for a single character, or even for a multi-character term.

Sunny
13th February 2008, 06:56 AM
and how about 1,460,000,000 results?

The fact is that all this results are combinations of characters, which may have totally different meaning than the original kanji.

I dont even know how to find how many times some kanji was used as a separate word. Since there is no spaces between words in japanese, and quotes dont help here.

htmlindex
13th February 2008, 07:03 AM
Do you mean "x.com" in quotes brings up 500k results? If so, probably.

But if you're just googling "x" and getting 500k results, that's not a lot for a single character, or even for a multi-character term.

I meant just "x" and getting 500k results. If it was "x.com" in quotes brings up 500k results then I would've presumed that the name is already taken & quite a developed website otherwise it wouldn't be in Google IMO.

clipper
13th February 2008, 07:18 AM
I meant just "x" and getting 500k results. If it was "x.com" in quotes brings up 500k results then I would've presumed that the name is already taken & quite a developed website otherwise it wouldn't be in Google IMO.

Not necessarily. You will find that many sites use Romaji.com for their domain name, but Kanji.com in their title and logo; for some reason they are not onto the IDN thing.

Also, you will find (when searching kanji.com) that sometimes the kanji character you are searching is the trailing character in a three- or four-character name.

PM sent.

htmlindex
13th February 2008, 07:25 AM
Not necessarily. You will find that many sites use Romaji.com for their domain name, but Kanji.com in their title and logo; for some reason they are not onto the IDN thing.

Also, you will find (when searching kanji.com) that sometimes the kanji character you are searching is the trailing character in a three- or four-character name.

PM sent.

Thanks, I'll check out the PM.

What do you all think about if it's a single characted domain with Google Trends. Is that a good thing or doesn't it matter as the character could just be part of a word?

mgrohan
13th February 2008, 07:50 AM
Google trends will indicate that it is a popular character and widely used. It will not however tell you if a character can be used standing alone (it shows for words/compounds/sentences that contain that character). I think only a native speaker can determine if a character stands alone.

I think google trends is definetely a good sign though. Wouldn't hurt to have a few (single characters) in your portfolio. But i wouldn't get too carried away.

mkellerman
13th February 2008, 04:43 PM
but if u want, here are some of them:

鞍.jp
或.jp
唖.jp
逢.jp
椅.jp
虻.jp
夷.jp
挨.jp
梓.jp
粟.jp
袷.jp
按.jp

all are unregistered at the moment.

I was born in Azerbaijan, so russian and azerbaijani are my native languages.

Also I can speak japanese and a little turkish since I studied in tukish highschool.

鞍.jp - this one has 25 000 000 results in google :)
and means: saddle, seat for a rider on the back of an animal.

Free now, so register quickly:)

This one: 或.jp means: some, being an unknown or unspecified amount, undetermined, approximate.
Has 1,460,000,000 results in google !!!!!!!!!
register fast haha

或: The only mean I knew of is that forms part of the word: 或いは which means "or else" . However the kanji dictionary here: http://www.mahou.org/Kanji/303F/ mentions further means. Not sure if the character is commonly used, especially on its own.

椅子 means chair, but 椅 is not used on its own normally in Japanese.

Most characters in the list are not recognisable to me and are probably not used often.

Sunny
13th February 2008, 07:47 PM
Well, i didnt say that they are used on their own, I only said that they are free :)

或 is often used on its own in the meaning of "some, unspecified", in the form of 或る or just 或. For example "或る夜の出来事"(literally "one nights incident")= "It happened one night"(name of the movie).
或 and 或る are interchangeable, so it can be written like this also: "或夜の出来事".

"椅": this one is not used by its own.

鞍.jp - (くら) it is used by its own in the meaning of saddle.
唖.jp - (おし) can be used by its own in the meaning of "deaf mute, one who cannot hear nor speak,"
逢.jp - not normally used alone.
虻.jp - (アブ) horsefly, large bloodsucking fly which is troublesome to horses
夷.jp - (い) barbarian, savage. also can be spelled as "えびす" as in 夷フィルムス, in this case it is the name of one of the japanese gods. http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%88%E3%81%B3%E3%81%99
挨.jpb - not normally used on its own
梓.jp - (あずさ) catalpa tree
粟.jp - (あわ) millet
袷.jp - (あわせ) lined kimono
按.jp - not normally used alone.

Sunny
15th February 2008, 03:51 AM
OK, its already time for me to contribute something to this forum.

First of all some statistics for domains in japanese language.

At this moment:
- 31% (1000 of 3300)of all .com 1 character domains are unregistered.
- 36%(1200 of 3300) of all .jp 1 character domains are unregistered.
- of that unregistered 1200 characters, only 352 can be used by themselves and are nouns.

Now the main part.

I will post a complete list of this unregistered 352 characters in 2 hours. (I say this in advance, so that u can prepare :) )

All the characters will be provided together with a quality translation(not just some kind of online translator).

Thx.

touchring
15th February 2008, 04:48 AM
I've found a 1 character Korean & Chinese .com that's available.

The Korean one has only about 15k Google results with no Google trends. Don't really know if it means anything or not in Korean.

The Chinese one has only about 30k Google results with no Google trends.

Considering any 1 character ASCII .com would be worth a ton of $$$, are the Korean & Chinese one worth regging or not?

There are altogether 47,035 chinese characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character

Unlike LLL or NNN, if you don't know the character, you can't even type it or use it. 90% of the 47035 characters are useless for domain purpose.

markits
15th February 2008, 05:25 AM
There are about 4000 Chinese characters in the modern Chinese language system. The official set of 3500 characters (2500 common char plus 1000 less frequently used chars) can be found via this link.
http://www.hrexam.com/common.htm

Among the 3500 official char set, I personally think 20-30% of them are good to reg, and am not sure about the remaining 70-80%. Based on this number, yes a VALID single Chinese char domain can be extremely valuable.

Don't be fooled by the number 47,035. Most Chinese people only know 3000 characters. To majority people, the other 43,000ish characters are simply not existed. The simple characters one can find through gg search are most likely sitting in the official char set.

Sunny
15th February 2008, 06:03 AM
here is the list:
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/17054-list-of-all-meaningful-unregistered-1-character-jp-domains-with-translation.html#post108354

mgrohan
15th February 2008, 06:30 AM
Out of curiosity checked 1400 single character Chinese domains (everything under 9 strokes). Surprised to see that only 21 are still available to reg in .com. That's like 98.5% regged.. :eek:

All the best signed up in 2000 by VNL Group and TDC. Not that many Chinese in the single character whois's..

Characters that were left for registration:
轧.com
朽.com
扰.com
歼.com
岔.com
妨.com
拢.com
帜.com
胁.com
沫.com
挎.com
拴.com
殃.com
畏.com
蚂.com
狭.com
狡.com
陡.com
姥.com
垒.com
绞.com

Sunny
15th February 2008, 07:32 AM
And how did u check it?
Many ways to check give a lot of false results.

mgrohan
15th February 2008, 07:39 AM
And how did u check it?
Many ways to check give a lot of false results.

Think Dynadot is pretty reliable.. :rolleyes: