PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo ranking IDN Domains

Rubber Duck
26th November 2005, 01:20 PM
It is confirmed that Yahoo are ranking the local characters in the URL.

If you do advanced search and put in popular local characters into the Search request it throws up sites with IDN URLs.

Try 大阪 Osaka or 東京 Tokyo

Situation is less clear with Google as that throws up hundreds of results, due to the fact that it is not just checking domains but whole URL. It would seem common practice in Japan to name subdirectories in Local Characters.

This is highly significant, as because over 90% of search terms in the Far East are in local characters, the imperative to register and at least redirect an IDN domain is now obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
27th November 2005, 09:59 AM
Good Find
I didn't notice too much that Yahoo was taking in consideration the domain's already.

Currectly there's only a few & some are displayed as punycode & some are displayed as native domains.

I think I'll start an experiment to see why this happen's & post the results so that your IDN Domains can be listed in Native for in the search engines. I think I know the answer but I have to make sure...

Also people should know it they show up when you type in

inurl:東京

Even on Yahoo Japan it works.

Rubber Duck
27th November 2005, 10:05 AM
Good Find
I didn't notice too much that Yahoo was taking in consideration the domain's already.

Currectly there's only a few & some are displayed as punycode & some are displayed as native domains.

I think I'll start an experiment to see why this happen's & post the results so that your IDN Domains can be listed in Native for in the search engines. I think I know the answer but I have to make sure...

Also people should know it they show up when you type in

inurl:東京

Even on Yahoo Japan it works.

Yes, what we really need to do is piss off some really big companies by out SEOing their site. That would get them thinking!