PDA

View Full Version : EURODNS or .ASIA - who's the scam artist

alpha
22nd February 2008, 07:28 AM
A colleague of mine (despite repeated warnings) went ahead and regged a bunch of names in the landrush for .asia at EURODNS.

Their policy is simple. If you are unsuccessful in registering a name, then they credit your account back.

If you want to turn this "account credit" back into real money, then you have to pay a 5% wanker charge.

So he regs a bunch of names.

then gets 1 email to say, sorry this name was registered in a prior landrush.

then gets another xx emails to say, sorry these names are reserved by the registry.

This guy now has no names, no landrush applications, and an account credit equal to what he paid for originally.

of course, for doing f all, EURODNS are insisting on charging 5% to refund from your account to your card.

what a scam.

mulligan
22nd February 2008, 10:31 AM
You can only 'repeatedly warn' so many times ... learning curve?

phio
22nd February 2008, 10:41 AM
Yep, undoubtedly they are hoarding all the good names for themselves. And stiffing a lot of people who paid in advance but forgot about it. Check your junk email folder and get your refunds...

22nd February 2008, 10:42 AM
I Will listen next time.

touchring
22nd February 2008, 12:20 PM
.asia is not with registering.

xndashdash
22nd February 2008, 12:54 PM
It might have been a good idea to check in advance if the domains were reserved? There is a .asia whois where you can do this, and the .asia registry was clear that there were many reserved names.

A 5% handling fee for a refund sounds reasonable. A lot of registrars (most?) only give credit and don't let you get a refund.

alpha
22nd February 2008, 12:54 PM
I remember these EURODNS tossers from the .EU fiasco.. in that landrush it was a first come first served, and they got nothing, but still charged you the wanker fee of 5% to refund your money.

Maybe i should setup a landrush registry - it seems you don't actually have to do anything other than have somewhere to receive the 5% wanker fee

it's so wrong

It might have been a good idea to check in advance if they were reserved? There is a .asia whois where you can do this, and the .asia registry was clear that there were many reserved names.

A 5% handling fee for a refund sounds reasonable. A lot of registrars (most?) only give credit and don't let you get a refund.

what you mean is, the interface at EURODNS shoud tell you they are reserved. Not tell you "hey everything is fine, just give me your money".

jacksonm
22nd February 2008, 12:56 PM
A friend messaged me the other day and asked me where is the best place to register dot asia domains. My answer was "forget about them, no value". I am pretty sure that he didn't believe me, and thought that I was just trying to reduce competition.

Such is the nature of the human mind.

xndashdash
22nd February 2008, 12:56 PM
Maybe i should setup a landrush registry - it seems you don't actually have to do anything other than have somewhere to receive the 5% wanker fee

You've got it 100% right :-D

xndashdash
22nd February 2008, 12:57 PM
what you mean is, the interface at EURODNS shoud tell you they are reserved. Not tell you "hey everything is fine, just give me your money".

Fair enough.

bwhhisc
22nd February 2008, 11:36 PM
.asia :p
That's about all I got to say.