PDA

View Full Version : I think I finally found a good one

lipps
26th February 2008, 07:54 PM
赤.cn
Red (dot) China

mgrohan
27th February 2008, 12:47 AM
赤 does not stand by itself, it does not mean red as the single character you have written.

lipps
27th February 2008, 02:43 AM
Strange. So much research and one just never really knows...

More correct that it stands for bare as in nakedness.

赤=chi (pronounced like chure-the "i" is pronounced like the "ir" in bird) 赤 is short for 赤裸 chi luo (pronounced like chure lu-wuh), which means bareness.
example-赤脚=chi jiao-Bare feet (pronounced like chure gee-ow)
It is also used in Japanese to say "naked"
example-a completely naked body in Japanese would be-
赤裸の身
naked skin in Japanese would be-裸の皮-

Han character
赤 (radical 155 赤+0, 7 strokes, cangjie input 土中弓金 (GLNC), four-corner 40331)

red
communist, 'red'
bare

References
KangXi: page 1213, character 22
Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 36993
Dae Jaweon: page 1680, character 12 http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?popup=1&cdqchid=%E8%B5%A4
Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 5, page 3506, character 1
Unihan data for U+8D64

Sunny
27th February 2008, 02:53 AM
I have two 1 character chinese domains, can u please comment on them also? Can they be used by themselves?

譬.com
僚.com

lipps
27th February 2008, 03:14 AM
I am no expert on language that is for sure. Can hardly keep engilsh as a primary language.
What I do it go directly to the source.
There are a few china and japan forums that people are willing to help.
More like social sites.
Ask those that know the language first hand and speak your native tounge as a second.
This time it seems to have failed for me although people from China and Japan say that the term would be correct but I cant validate it as of yet. Have to go with the experience here until proven otherwise.
Best of luck to you

Sunny
27th February 2008, 03:24 AM
I am no expert on language that is for sure. Can hardly keep engilsh as a primary language.
What I do it go directly to the source.
There are a few china and japan forums that people are willing to help.
More like social sites.
Ask those that know the language first hand and speak your native tounge as a second.
This time it seems to have failed for me although people from China and Japan say that the term would be correct but I cant validate it as of yet. Have to go with the experience here until proven otherwise.
Best of luck to you

Thanks of course, but actually I asked mgrohan, since it seems that he can speak chinese.

IDNer
27th February 2008, 04:22 AM
赤.cn
Red (dot) China

I personal think that 赤 is a nice character;
it's same in simplified & traditional Chinese.

mgrohan
27th February 2008, 05:52 AM
yes, 赤 is a popular character, my point was that by itself it does not have the meaning as said, which was red.

Chinese characters are normally used together and if someone were to say just "赤" and ask we what they were talking about i wouldn't have an idea.

With other characters:
赤身 - naked
赤字 - in the red (deficit)

Bit like some English syllables

i.e. re
can be used in
re-cycle
re-do
re-run
re-peat

re in all the above has the meaning of again/repeat
however re by itself does not mean anything.

This is the case with many Chinese characters.
If you are not familiar with the Chinese language it is hard to say which may sense by themselves. Although this may not be important as it seems most .com single (popular) characters are taken.

cdehoo
27th February 2008, 02:06 PM
"赤" may translate is "red",
but "red" more commonly used translation is "红".

I think 赤.cn(drop domain) is also a good word. 赤 does stand by itself, "红" "赤" is synonym.
rainbow color: 赤橙黄绿青蓝紫(More commonly used) or 红橙黄绿青蓝紫

If you are not familiar with the Chinese language it is hard to say which may sense by themselves.

Agree,Many not commonly used chinese word/phrase(only because you can use software translator a very good English) is sold in here by the high price,but thses words(domains) you never possibly found Chinese end user.

Suggested that everybody pondered before the purchase/registration.