PDA

View Full Version : Chinese is very difficult

cdehoo
28th February 2008, 11:57 AM
Chinese is very complicated,each word has a lot of explains.

Some chinese words(idn) can translate valuable English,
but some chinese words(idn) that not be used frequently may not be valuable,

It is not enough for us to use trantlation software only.

I think use picture search & Baidu index/Google Trends are good methods.

edit

touchring
28th February 2008, 12:26 PM
question, did you use online translator for that?

cdehoo
28th February 2008, 12:51 PM
question, did you use online translator for that?
Right.

mgrohan
28th February 2008, 01:21 PM
:) i think point proven about online translators ;)

cdehoo
24th March 2008, 04:44 AM
I think use picture search & Baidu Google Trends are good methods.

lipps
24th March 2008, 06:22 AM
You have very good information. I think it is one of the hardest languages to understand from a perspective of someone who does not speak the language.

Take the example from the earlier post about the symbol 戈 Baidu index does not find any direct keyword to the character yet google index shows some very fair trends.

There are quite a few images that can be found all pictures of spears which reinforces that defination. Several translation softwares define the character as weapon or spear yet some cannot define the character at all.

Since the information is so scattered and inconclusive it comes down to a gut feel for alot of domainers, myself included. This explains the multiple crap domains that can be found regged in chinese language that just dont translate to a word.

I guess having an in that speaks chinese would be best and the only real way to know if the translation is correct, but even then there are so many different ways to say the same thing in chinese, some popular some not.

Thanks for the info this is good to see.

So onto a different subject then are there any real single character domains in the Chinese language?

touchring
24th March 2008, 07:09 AM
So onto a different subject then are there any real single character domains in the Chinese language?

Usually verbs. Like 赢 - win, 跑 - run, etc.

Nouns are usually double chars.

lipps
24th March 2008, 07:41 AM
When looking for domains in Chinese then would it be approiate to say that one could go to the index and put in a valuable character then check the keywords that are listed related to that character? Checking the keywords with high user input?

touchring
24th March 2008, 08:03 AM
When looking for domains in Chinese then would it be approiate to say that one could go to the index and put in a valuable character then check the keywords that are listed related to that character? Checking the keywords with high user input?

I think this is one way, but it doesn't work all the time. Baidu index is the best measure, forget about google trends.

btw, any of you got babies and want them to learn mandarin, the time to start is pre-school.

Learning to write the characters is not really essential, recognition of common characters and their sounds (pinyin), and basic conversation is good enough.

Rubber Duck
24th March 2008, 08:24 AM
The best method is Use Google.cn or Baidu and check to see how many adverts are thrown up. If people are paying for adverts in these keywords, then they must be valuable.

lipps
24th March 2008, 08:32 AM
To most here this seems like Chinese 101 but I have learned quite a bit in this thread. Perhaps enough to earn the term grasshopper
Looks like there are many here who own the best domains

bwhhisc
24th March 2008, 10:49 AM
:) i think point proven about online translators ;)

Not perfect... but the message and information is understandable.

不完善... 仅消息和信息是可理解的 (...as translated by Systranet.com)

并非完美...但目前的讯息和资料,是可以理解的。(... as translated by Google.com/translate)

curious if either one is good, or better than the other?

cdehoo
24th March 2008, 11:49 AM
The best method is Use Google.cn or Baidu and check to see how many adverts are thrown up. If people are paying for adverts in these keywords, then they must be valuable.
Agree,But not each good IDN has the commercial advertisements,
The another method is Use Google.cn or Baidu and check to see how many Website(main page) are <title>IDN</title>,If has many website are called this name in the title,Proved this word(IDN) is popular.

BTW:This is also only a reference method.

Rubber Duck
24th March 2008, 12:11 PM
Yes, when we are in a position to start to hoover up the long-tails then we will need more sophisticated methods. Of course there is still little traffic, so massive expansion is either not an option or just too risky at the moment. Once it breaks out, however, I would think registering using bilge pumps will be pretty much standard practice.

touchring
24th March 2008, 12:37 PM

a good way is to translate it back to english.

cdehoo
28th April 2008, 06:27 AM
MY method is Use Baidu index (this chinese word whether the commonly used in china,But some kind of word exception)and check to see how many Website(main page) are <title>IDN</title>,If has many website are called this name in the title,Proved this word(IDN) is popular,possible can be found some end user.

pspdropship
28th April 2008, 07:26 AM

both are not good, but the first one is better

cdehoo
28th April 2008, 07:33 AM
both are not good, but the first one is better
I think both are the same.