PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 8 Has Arrived

alibuba
6th March 2008, 12:17 AM
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/internet_explorer_8_has_arrived.php

"Microsoft's next-generation web browser, Internet Explorer 8, has arrived. In a surprising move, after the demo of IE8 and its new features at today's session of the MIX08 conference, the startling announcement was made: "It's available for download now"....."

yanni
6th March 2008, 12:23 AM
It's probably Bill fvcking with Dave...

thegenius1
6th March 2008, 01:01 AM
Amazing ie8 already , if anybody downloads it can you post a review in this thread.

blastfromthepast
6th March 2008, 01:08 AM
Microsoft's next-generation web browser, Internet Explorer 8, has arrived. In a surprising move, after the demo of IE8 and its new features at today's session of the MIX08 conference .... What's most notable about IE8, though, is that it still sends domain typo traffic to Microsoft's Live search engine.

rhys
6th March 2008, 01:13 AM
Microsoft's next-generation web browser, Internet Explorer 8, has arrived. In a surprising move, after the demo of IE8 and its new features at today's session of the MIX08 conference .... What's most notable about IE8, though, is that it still sends domain typo traffic to Microsoft's Live search engine.

What's that? More than they already do? How does it work? I type in dog.com and it takes me to Live search results? That can't be!

blastfromthepast
6th March 2008, 01:17 AM
What's that? More than they already do? How does it work? I type in dog.com and it takes me to Live search results? That can't be!

Type dog.com and press return. What happends.

Fka200
6th March 2008, 01:47 AM
Mine was Google results--by default. Reformatted my laptop and went to go update from IE6 to 7 and figured I might as well go to IE8 for kicks.

I actually liked it, but everytime I visited one site it would crash.

lipps
6th March 2008, 03:21 AM
I just cant get it to load on the Windows 3.1 system. I must be doing something wrong

Fka200
6th March 2008, 03:39 AM
I just cant get it to load on the Windows 3.1 system. I must be doing something wrong

LOL that was the best! Haven't used 3.1 in AGES.

mdw
6th March 2008, 03:42 AM
Some major advances are hidden in there. MS hadn't done any actual innovation since IE5, but this time there are some serious new goodies for cross-domain HTTP requests, offline application niceties and more. Better DOM representation of the page data and operations on that data, better scripting hooks into browser functionality, and real progress like allowing 6 concurrent open connections! That is huge - take it from me, the guy who loves to use subdomains like img.domain.com just to speed up page loading by getting around the current limit of 2 connections (all browsers)

At first all I read about was that awful decision to make web authors declare with a new meta tag if they wanted IE8 rendering. Now they have reversed that bad decision and by default pages will be parsed and rendered with the latest, more standards-comforming code, leading us toward HTML5.

Everyone is so used to MS sleeping on the job - I remember them throwing away their browser team after IE6 and declaring browsers were passe. Well they surprised me. But I'll wait to get excited until RD, with his 6 year old antique computer, hatred for all things American, and general disdain for Windows (even though he still uses it) to test and evaluate.

Rubber Duck
6th March 2008, 04:47 AM
Actually, I am using IE7 a bit more lately as Firefox has become more temperamental. May even make it my default browser again.

Betas don't mean much to us at this stage of the game. Wake me up when it goes live.

mdw
6th March 2008, 05:06 AM
Well there the verdict is in. Good observation about firefox too - recent versions have been buggier and less stable. It's a real dogfight these days, like never before.

Here's my scorecard:
Firefox - lots of experimentation in javascript engines, recent betas look like they're much faster than competitors (who woulda guessed?)
Safari - gotta love it, best CSS around thanks to those geniuses working on webkit, and have a big lead on implementing HTML5 stuff and fixing bugs (see acid test results, these guys are on fire!)
IE - the perennial stepchild of browsers, looks like they're thinking about competing to be the ones pushing some new standards (who woulda guessed?)
Opera - still the most stable, always a good choice
all others - who cares?

markits
6th March 2008, 06:20 AM
It looks like the old netscape browser.

lipps
6th March 2008, 01:07 PM
without emulation to ie7 it seems to be a memory hog. Thats msft for you though.
One advantage is this.
Use view source of a page and the browser seems to be much better about how it handles the meta tags

Here is an example

<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
<script type="text/javascript" src="/contents/renew/left/httpreq.js"></script>

<meta name="description" lang="ja" content="エキサイトブログ( excite blog )は無料で作成できるカンタン、サクサク、カイテキなブログサービスです。画像は最大1GB、テキストの容量制限はありません。もちろん携帯電話からの投稿・閲覧にもにも対応しているのでいつでもどこでも使えます。">
<meta name="keywords" content="ブログ,blog,作成,無料,excite,エキサイト">
<meta name="verify-v1" content="YpuXWlq/zRu02xamIDwdA0iTUDJlcVs55U7po3McX2I=" />
<script type="text/javascript">

prior to this in ie7 most of the metatag content on many pages would not show the actual characters, on many sites it was seen as "garbage"
I think there are many changes.

dave_5
6th March 2008, 09:34 PM
"prior to this in ie7 most of the metatag content on many pages would not show the actual characters, on many sites it was seen as "garbage"
I think there are many changes."

use utf-8 and make sure you save the html page as utf-8.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">

that should fix any "garbage"

mdw
6th March 2008, 10:07 PM
With IE7 they added some much needed CSS support (almost non-existing in IE6) and now they've added nothing, except to be nice to the programmers by adding DOM goodies

OK I"m exaggerating a bit, they fixed a lot of broken stuff and added a little bit of new stuff. One such goody looks like non-persisting DOM storage. This could be a nice way to store session-specific info instead of using cookies, and without the size limitations and other restrictions, like being specific to one domain.