PDA

View Full Version : Afternic to Upgrade its Categories Next Week (adding IDNs)

khurtsiya
11th March 2008, 10:05 PM
Adding IDNs in different languages :)

http://afternicdlsblog.com/2008/03/11/afternic-to-upgrade-its-categories-next-week/

bwhhisc
11th March 2008, 10:27 PM
IDNs
Arabic

IDNs
Armenian

IDNs
Cyrillic

IDNs
General

IDNs
German

IDNs
Greek

IDNs
Han

IDNs
Hebrew

IDNs
Hiragana

IDNs
Katakana

IDNs
Latin

IDNs
Mongolian

IDNs
Symbols

IDNs
Syriac

IDNs
Thai

IDNs
Tibetan

jose
11th March 2008, 10:38 PM
IDNs
Symbols ? LOL

Fka200
11th March 2008, 10:38 PM
Where the hell is Chinese?

Edit: Guessing it is "Han" ?

bwhhisc
11th March 2008, 11:22 PM
Where the hell is Chinese?
Edit: Guessing it is "Han" ?

Here's wikipedia about Han:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Chinese

Guess they could have used the ever popular: CJKUnifiedIdeographs

Fka200
11th March 2008, 11:35 PM
Here's wikipedia about Han:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Chinese

Guess they could have used the ever popular: CJKUnifiedIdeographs

Thats what I guessed. Damn Wikipedia... ;)

blastfromthepast
12th March 2008, 01:56 AM
Hi XXXXXX,

The Japanese chacters sets are used together in Japanese, they are not separately used. Even within one word, a combination of Kanji (Han) Characters and Kana (Hiragana or Katakana), is commonly used, also Latin + Kana or Kanji is also used.

If there are only categories for Hiragana and Katakana, where do normal Japanese words that consists of a mix of the three, or even four scripts go?

Regards,
XXXXXX

Date: July 2, 2006 11:47:31 AM EDT

Hi XXXXXX,

I can appreciate your feelings about Afternic's role to check the listings for accurate categorizing of IDN names. In the beginning, there were no language categories, we weren't sure about the demand if it would be high enough, or whether we'd have enough listings. Our next step led us to create the language categories based on the IDN standards (where Hiragana and Katakana were separate, I do understand they're both Japanese, but they are both different character sets). Because what you say holds validity, I will write a CR (change request) to have our developers look into checking/changing the IDN characters into their respective categories. Please note however, since a lot of IDN owners and registrars didn't do this initial check, some of these IDN names can fall under multiple categories, and some have mixed character sets. Perhaps we'll make a "Mixed Characters" category, and only have 100% character sets placed into the correct language.

In regards to merging Katakan and Hiragana, we'll check out the quantities between the two and see if its worth keeping separate, or merging the two. Again, these categories were created by an official IDN distinction list at the time.

I personally thank you for contributing your thoughts about our IDN support and I hope that our changes to come will make our services easier and better to use for IDN goers.

Please note, we have a few higher priority CRs, including a site redesign and a few performance enhancing projects to be completed before this one, but if you like, we can notify you when its started and/or completed.

Best regards,

BXXXXXX GXXXXXX
Afternic, Inc.

August 8, 2006 1:22:24 PM EDT

Hi BXXXXXXXXXX,

I see you guys still haven't changed your Japanese sections to reflect reality.

What's the problem?

If you can't figure IDNs out, you should hire people who understand scripts and international domains.

Regards,
XXXXXXX

thegenius1
12th March 2008, 02:01 AM
What's the problem?

If you can't figure IDNs out, you should hire people who understand scripts and international domains.

Regards,
XXXXXXX

Seriously !

blastfromthepast
12th March 2008, 02:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Fwd: IDN Domain Confusion]
Date: November 14, 2006 5:00:41 PM EST

Sorry for the delayed response, my colleagues forwarded the email to me and I have some time to respond. I'm sorry the merging of the two categories didn't take place, unfortunately priorities shifted drastically and I was pulled to some larger projects to devote my resources to. At this time we don't have resources to hire a full time IDN contributor but if you would like to better suggest how our IDN categories should be, I would be able to provide you with our current IDN structure including how many present IDN names are in each sub-category.

markits
12th March 2008, 11:51 AM
Han means Chinese (Simp + Trad) and Japanese Kanji. The current categories doesn't make sense at all. Their explaination doesn't make any sense at all. Their attitude towards professional IDNers doesn't make any sense at all.

Why can't they simply list IDN-Chinese and IDN-Japanese?

Drewbert
12th March 2008, 06:30 PM
Because that too obvious?