PDA

View Full Version : 3 letter ascii .jp domains

lipps
17th March 2008, 01:12 PM
Would you or would you not register a 3 english letter .jp domain?
Any future?

Ryu
17th March 2008, 01:18 PM
Would you or would you not register a 3 english letter .jp domain?
Any future?

Unless it's a nice word like DVD.com, I wouldn't bother. There are still quite a few English or Japanese 1 word.jp free to reg. But it's very very difficult to monetarise these. I have some nice ascii japanese domains but they don't do well at all.

lipps
17th March 2008, 01:21 PM
Scanning I noticed that several were available. some with definitions but not strong words.
Looks like most of the .cn are taken but I suppose that is second to the amount of people in the area and the recent low cost sale price of the domain.

Ryu
17th March 2008, 01:28 PM
Even stuff like himalaya.jp is still available.... And it seems nobody is bothered to reg... And few people are bothered to reg IDNs, either. :)

lipps
17th March 2008, 01:35 PM
There are 49,800,000 .jp domains listed on the big G, compared to over 13 Billion .coms the .jp domain is still in its infancy.

Ryu
17th March 2008, 01:50 PM
Only 1 million .jp domains have been registered thus far. the number includes ascii.jp, ascii.co.jp, IDN.jp and all others. the rest is sub-domains, etc.

the effect? so many people don't even know what Internet domain names are, let alone IDNs.

lipps
17th March 2008, 02:32 PM
Strange as well as Japan considers itself technology advanced. One would think that there would be quite a market.

Rubber Duck
17th March 2008, 06:26 PM
There are 49,800,000 .jp domains listed on the big G, compared to over 13 Billion .coms the .jp domain is still in its infancy.

Where the fuck do you get these numbers from?

There are about 80Million dot coms and only 1 Million dot JP!

Ross
17th March 2008, 06:34 PM
Where the fuck do you get these numbers from?

There are about 80Million dot coms and only 1 Million dot JP!

I think she means serps, not individual domains. Rauhoittu.

lipps
17th March 2008, 09:24 PM
Yes bad info on my part.
Meaning 6.5 M .jp domains in English
944 M total .jp domains
From Serps
Excuse the bad keystorkes
I dont know the total number of registered .jp domains but seems like I have a signifigant number any more. Somethimes I think crack would be cheaper....